{SI} SHOOTIN Critique

Old December 12th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Douglas[_4_]

Default {SI} SHOOTIN Critique

The rain falls mainly on the plains ...and Tangalooma. 48mm (nearly 2")
in 2 hours. Such is life in paradise!

So here 'tis, warts and all.

My own shot...
See? This is what you get when you tell me to get creative.

Bob Hickey...
Too much Americana here. Could have been any home with a fountain in it's
pool... If you believe the sitcoms running here!

Peter Chant...
I enjoy using light and shade myself. Perhaps I stop right now.

Jim Kramer...
Read the comment above! Next time take a saw and a can of freeze spray
with you. Get creative man!

Bowser... Did you clean your lens before that shoot?

Michelo...
Wow. Detail in the shadows, detain in the highlights. Something tells me
this is not a camera original or you used my s5 Fuji for it!

Tom Gabriel...
Hmmm. Is this what autum looks like at your place? Now get a few more and
make a calendar out of them!

Helen Silverburg...
Must be something wrong with my keyboard. It can't be my eyesight after
that expensive laser surgery. Maybe I need to focuse on the subject to
stop the hurt?

Bret Douglas...
Uncreative. Could have at least put a foregound object in it or made the
clouds stand out.

Solomon Peachy...
Yeah, right. Peachy shot mate. Real peachy!

Paul Furman...
More eyesight problems I think. Those white dots in the bokoh are very
distracting and damage an otherwise hard shot to get.

Justin Robinson...
This is the other one of the two photos here I really like. I've tried
for years to get a shot like this at Corrina on the Pieman river in
Tasmania's west coast wilderness and never got it quite right. It begs
for the other half... Where's the pano?

Bob Flint...
Too much grass mate. That line at the top of the pic killed it for me but
the use of water gets you enough points to save the day. I hope you do
better with the new cell phone. Those Minolta's... Phew!

Another (un) remarkable review of Shootin. Maybe the second one I've
done. Thank God the rain has stopped and I can get back to some serious
stuff. Like pumping bait as those tricky worms come up for fresh water.
Gotta get my priorities right!
--
Douglas
Old December 13th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kinon O'Cann

"Douglas" wrote in message

Bowser... Did you clean your lens before that shoot?

No need. It's a Leica lens, and as we all know, simply placing one of those
lenses on your camera, or buying a superzoom with one attached gaurantees
perfect results every time, even if you slather crunchy peanut butter on the
front element.

Just love that FZ50. Certainly no 5D, but still a really nice unit.

Old December 13th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
michelo

"Douglas" wrote in message

Michelo... Wow. Detail in the shadows, detain in the highlights. Something
tells me this is not a camera original or you used my s5 Fuji for it!

As I don't expect Santa to bring me a DSLR this year either, I had to learn
to use my P&S. I underexposed a bit for the highlights and use a white
cardboard on the right to help the shadows.

Michel

Old December 13th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Douglas[_5_]

"michelo" wrote in message

"Douglas" wrote in message

Michelo... Wow. Detail in the shadows, detain in the highlights.
Something tells me this is not a camera original or you used my s5 Fuji
for it!

As I don't expect Santa to bring me a DSLR this year either, I had to
learn to use my P&S. I underexposed a bit for the highlights and use a
white cardboard on the right to help the shadows.

Michel

Excellent results Michel.
Congratulation on a fine understanding of your camera and how to light a
scene without needing to patch it up in Photoshop post shoot.

Douglas

Old December 14th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kinon O'Cann

"michelo" wrote in message

"Douglas" wrote in message

Michelo... Wow. Detail in the shadows, detain in the highlights.
Something tells me this is not a camera original or you used my s5 Fuji
for it!

As I don't expect Santa to bring me a DSLR this year either, I had to
learn to use my P&S. I underexposed a bit for the highlights and use a
white cardboard on the right to help the shadows.

Whoa, whoa, you thought about the shot and took actions to improve it?
That's cheating. Normally most of us just roll down the car window, grab a
quick snap, and that's it. Using photographic skills is normally frowned
upon.

:-)

Old December 14th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
michelo

"Kinon O'Cann" wrote in message

I underexposed a bit for the highlights and use a white cardboard on the
right to help the shadows.

Whoa, whoa, you thought about the shot and took actions to improve it?
That's cheating. Normally most of us just roll down the car window, grab a
quick snap, and that's it. Using photographic skills is normally frowned
upon.
:-)

You describe exactly the first impression I had of some people skills.
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/21112536/original

Michel :-)

Old December 14th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

michelo wrote:

"Kinon O'Cann" wrote in message
Whoa, whoa, you thought about the shot and took actions to improve it?
That's cheating. Normally most of us just roll down the car window, grab a
quick snap, and that's it. Using photographic skills is normally frowned
upon.
:-)

You describe exactly the first impression I had of some people skills.
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/21112536/original

There are a bunch of violations on this image. The speedometer says zero
needs to be above 100Km to stay with traffic no oncoming traffic no
passenger distractions. Mirror shots are nice but right hand mirror
"Things are closer than they appear" needs to be in focus for emphasis
and to demonstrate the camera's depth of field.

(actually the shot shows good depth of field and exposure)

Other than that not a bad shot

w..