[SI] Proposed shoot in

Old June 23rd 12, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.phot.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
watchmaker

Default [SI] Proposed shoot in

SI Committee wrote:
As the vacation travel season begins (in the northern hemisphere anyway)
we propose that the next shoot-in be geographically related.

To whit we further propose that this be a geo-referenced shoot-in due
2012.09.09 when most should be done with their wanderings.

For that, all photos should contain geotags so that when they are opened
the location where they were shot can be shown as well. We'd use a web
photo service (Panoramio for example) to display the photos (as well as
pbase). With Panoramio the photos will (in a week or so after
uploading) also appear on Google Maps/Earth [1].

Some of you may not travel this summer vacation, but geotagging can be
done as close as home or as far as you roam. See below for some info on
geotagging.

What say you?
=============

Technical explanation snipped

I think this is as good an idea as any technologically-oriented mandate,
like wide angle (I don't know if there's ever been a wide angle mandate,
it's just an analogy).

Since I shoot film the point is moot for me, but I'm first cousin to Ned
Ludd anyway. Sure I could buck 40 years of experience and actually carry
a notebook to write down where I am when a given shot is taken, but that
would mean carrying a notebook and remembering to write _anything_ down,
something I've never done. (Well, except for making development notes on
my 8x10 film holders, but lets not go there.)

But I don't see any problem with the idea -- those who want to
participate will, those who don't won't. It might be interesting to see
who does participate and maybe some sort of census on who used
"automatic GPS" and who had to use "Post-processing GPS". If nothing
else it would be a snapshot of how useful and/or widely adopted GPS
tagging is right now. Like any technology it is how you use it that matters.

[I prefer to repair watches at least 50 years old, and steadfastly
refuse to repair quartz watches. The cheapest quartz watch is about
1,000 times more accurate than the most expensive Patek Phillippe
mechanical watch...]
Old June 23rd 12, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.phot.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Charles E. Hardwidge[_2_]

"watchmaker" wrote in message

[I prefer to repair watches at least 50 years old, and steadfastly refuse
to repair quartz watches. The cheapest quartz watch is about 1,000 times
more accurate than the most expensive Patek Phillippe mechanical watch...]

http://www.watchmatchmaker.com/1_men...er-speaks.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-axial_escapement

I remember watching an interview with George Daniels (?) You couldn't help
but be caught up by his enthusiasm for his craft and the accuracy of his
watches in comparison to modern quartz watches. His invention of the
co-axial escapement was genius and had a mesmerising and sensual beauty to
its movement.

--
Charles E. Hardwidge

Old June 24th 12, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.phot.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
watchmaker

Charles E. Hardwidge wrote:

"watchmaker" wrote in message

[I prefer to repair watches at least 50 years old, and steadfastly refuse
to repair quartz watches. The cheapest quartz watch is about 1,000 times
more accurate than the most expensive Patek Phillippe mechanical
watch...]

http://www.watchmatchmaker.com/1_men...er-speaks.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-axial_escapement

I remember watching an interview with George Daniels (?) You couldn't help
but be caught up by his enthusiasm for his craft and the accuracy of his
watches in comparison to modern quartz watches. His invention of the
co-axial escapement was genius and had a mesmerising and sensual beauty to
its movement.

George Daniels was one of the most gifted watchmakers of the 20th
Century. I would compare him to Abraham-Louis Breguet for his sheer
talent and discipline in the design and fabrication of watches and
mechanisms which increase accuracy. His book, "Watchmaking", George
Daniels, Sotheby's, London, 1981 ISBN 0-85667-150-9 (2011 edition ISBN
0-85667-704-3) is a revelation even to experienced watchmakers of the
depth and breadth of his abilities and knowledge.

His seminal book on Breguet, "The Art of Breguet", George Daniels,
Sotheby Parke Bernet, London, 1974 ISBN 0-85667-004-9, is an homage to
the most brilliant watchmaker of the 18th Century, who invented most of
what we now take for granted in contemporary watchmaking.

Unfortunately, physics being what it is, a watch with a 4 or 5 Hertz
balance wheel is never going to compete in accuracy with a quartz
crystal vibrating at 32,768 Hz. And stepper motors timed by said crystal
are more accurate than any gear train and escapement, sadly. Still,
there are lots of interesting mechanical movements still being made at
most price points

Old June 25th 12, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.phot.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
watchmaker

tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:08:37 -0400, watchmaker
wrote:

Charles E. Hardwidge wrote:

[...]

I like mechanical watches as photographic subjects:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...3-17-34-XL.jpg

This Howard still works and keeps pretty good time:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...6_sQors-XL.jpg

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...8_SESaW-XL.jpg

wrote:

Charles E. Hardwidge wrote:

[...]

Beautiful photos, Tony! That Howard is right on the cusp of 1920 and
1920 (serial number 1,39x,xxx). Very high grade triple-bridge movement
with 17 jewels and temperature and position tested. The dial is in
beautiful shap. By eye it looks like a 12-size (American sizing system)
and probably has a 25-year gold-filled case (unless it's solid gold),
possibly a Wadsworth case.

Howards are the underdogs of the watch collecting world -- many many
excellent examples available for less than half the price of equivalent
Illinois, Waltham, or Elgin.

It looks like it is in very good shape. However, even modern lubricants
break down over time. If you find that the watch is gaining time
significantly you might consider taking it to a competent watchmaker for
a cleaning and lubrication. It shouldn't cost very much and is an
excellent precaution. Once every 5 to 10 years for a watch not used very
much is the recommended interval.