I'VE DONE SOMETHING TERRIBLE !

Old March 9th 12, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Stevens

Default I'VE DONE SOMETHING TERRIBLE !

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 18:57:12 +0000, Bruce
wrote:

Pete A wrote:

As in "The canons of fair play" or "Cannon fodder"?

Or something closely approximating to "a loose Canon". ;-)

The Grand Canon?

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old March 10th 12, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 08:56:10 -0800 (PST), Annika1980
wrote:
: On Mar 9, 9:12*am, Chloe wrote:
: On 9/03/2012 3:36 AM, Annika1980 wrote:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
: On Mar 6, 4:00 pm, *wrote:
: On 5/03/2012 2:34 AM, Annika1980 wrote:
:
: On Mar 1, 12:11 am, tony * *wrote:
:
: You've formed a Tennessee Ashton Kutcher fan club. * Shame!
:
: It's worse than that. *I put a Nikon 14-24 f/2.8G lens on my FAB 5D2.
: I feel so dirty!
:
: Here are a few pics I've taken with that combo in the past 3 days.
: http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/Photo...1767869_vdPZhq
:
: It was said in Popular Photography when Canon first introduced
: streamline 35mm bodies way back when A1's ruled that if you could use
: Nikon glass on a Canon body, you'd have the perfect camera.
:
: Chloe
:
: That may have been true back in the day, but not now. *The Nikon 14-24
: is the only lens that bests anything that Canon offers. *My advice is
: to rent this lens for a few days and watch your photography improve
: immediately. Then cry your eyes out as you drive to the UPS store to
: send it back.
:
: Here's the news flash mate...
: I've owned one since 2009. Any Nikon shooter working full frame needs
: one of these for real estate or inside event shots. The only way to
: stand in a corner and get the whole room in without it looking like
: you're in a fish bowl.
:
: Serious Annika. No working professional (well not unless you call
: wedding photographers professionals) can do without one. Ditto that for
: a 24-70 f2.8 and 70 -200 f2.8. There's a few fixed length lenses I've
: got for preference with head shots but these are the essential glass I
: never leave home without and Canon have no answer for.
:
: Chloe
:
: Well I guess if you don't count the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II and the
: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, both of which trounce anything that Nikon
: offers. Stick with your Nikon, sweetie. It's a nice little starter
: camera. When your photography improves you'll want to make the jump up
: to Canon.

Bret is exercising his sarcasm in anticipation of April 1. ;^)

BTW, Bret, how do you know what the (absurdly expensive) 24-70 f/2.8L II
trounces? Has anyone gotten ahold of one yet?

Bob
Old March 12th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete A

On 2012-03-12 10:40:25 +0000, Bruce said:

Annika1980 wrote:
Dude, all you need to know is that it is a "II" lens. And since the
first version of the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L trounced all competition, you
can bet your sweet ass the II lens will dominate.

Trounced all competition?

The 24-70 f/2.8L has a reputation for flare, which sounds the same as
"flair", but isn't :-)

What have you been smoking, Bret? It didn't even trounce the Sigma.

Old March 12th 12, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-03-12 03:40:25 -0700, Bruce said:

Annika1980 wrote:
Dude, all you need to know is that it is a "II" lens. And since the
first version of the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L trounced all competition, you
can bet your sweet ass the II lens will dominate.

Trounced all competition?

What have you been smoking, Bret? It didn't even trounce the Sigma.

It trounced all competition found in Bret's bag.
....and for him that was good enough.

Savageduck

Old March 12th 12, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete A

On 2012-03-12 10:40:25 +0000, Bruce said:
Annika1980 wrote:
Dude, all you need to know is that it is a "II" lens. And since the
first version of the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L trounced all competition, you
can bet your sweet ass the II lens will dominate.

Trounced all competition?

The 24-70 f/2.8L has a reputation for flare, which sounds the same as
"flair", but isn't :-)

The two are easily confused. Or so it seems.

The 24-70 f/2.8L also has a reputation for softness, especially at the
24mm end where even the Sigma beats it, plus some strong rectilinear
distortion. I suppose you could say it trounces all the competition
when it comes to unsharp and distorted images. ;-)

I've found it interesting over the years how people judge lens
performance and form their opinions.

A mediocre lens in the hands of a good photographer will always trounce
a superb lens in the hands of an average photographer. I would much
rather Bret concentrate on selling his excellent photography than make
comments about "lens trouncing", despite the endless amusement provided
by the latter.

Old March 12th 12, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete A

On 2012-03-12 03:40:25 -0700, Bruce said:

Annika1980 wrote:
Dude, all you need to know is that it is a "II" lens. And since the
first version of the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L trounced all competition, you
can bet your sweet ass the II lens will dominate.

Trounced all competition?

What have you been smoking, Bret? It didn't even trounce the Sigma.

It trounced all competition found in Bret's bag.
...and for him that was good enough.

True, but I'd rather not contemplate what might be in Bret's bag!

Old March 12th 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete A

On 2012-03-12 18:50:20 +0000, Bruce said:

Pete A wrote:

A mediocre lens in the hands of a good photographer will always trounce
a superb lens in the hands of an average photographer. I would much
rather Bret concentrate on selling his excellent photography than make
comments about "lens trouncing", despite the endless amusement provided
by the latter.

Agree 100%. Bret's work is more than good enough to publish. We have
already seen enough high quality material from him for several books,
he just needs the encouragement to do it.

I'd buy all of his books. His photography makes mine look like
worthless crap, but I feel very fortunate because the images he's
shared with us drives me to improve rather than give up (and not just
with photography).

Some of my crap-work gets published within my rural town so I can't
begin to imagine what Bret could achieve.

My lack of full command over my physical and mental faculties is a
frustration of my illness that I try not to let bother me too much.
However, there are rare times, such as this, when I would like nothing
better than be able to write sincerely meaningful and appropriate words
of encouragement.

Old March 13th 12, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:39:07 +0000, Bruce wrote:
: Annika1980 wrote:
:
: On Mar 9, 1:24*pm, Bruce wrote:
: Version II is optically as good as the Canon but
: the Nikon's VR performs better than the Canon's IS, typically offering
: a stop more in terms of stabilisation.
:
: Horse ****.
:
: If you can't accept the facts, say "Horse ****".

Actually, Bret should have said "Bull ****". "Horse ****" has more to do with
presentation than with substance. As in, "For five days or so, Canon's
horse**** Web site has produced a 404 error when one tries to download their
latest software updates."

Bob
Old March 13th 12, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:42:43 +0000, Pete A
wrote:
: On 2012-03-12 18:50:20 +0000, Bruce said:
:
: Pete A wrote:
:
: A mediocre lens in the hands of a good photographer will always trounce
: a superb lens in the hands of an average photographer. I would much
: rather Bret concentrate on selling his excellent photography than make
: comments about "lens trouncing", despite the endless amusement provided
: by the latter.
:
:
: Agree 100%. Bret's work is more than good enough to publish. We have
: already seen enough high quality material from him for several books,
: he just needs the encouragement to do it.
:
: I'd buy all of his books. His photography makes mine look like
: worthless crap, but I feel very fortunate because the images he's
: shared with us drives me to improve rather than give up (and not just
: with photography).

Yes and no. Bret is a better photographer than either you or I, but you and I
have our niches to fill. The organizations for which you photograph like your
work, and in their way they're participating in your rehabilitation. They're
telling you that your work has value, and they're doing it in plain text, by
actually using it, rather than by pandering with hollow cokmpliments. The City
government for which I work has added photography to my job because they think
I do it reasonably well (though a department called me back this afternoon to
re-shoot their Web site picture because they thought I didn't get it quite
right this morning).

But even Bret doesn't quite accept that he's as good as he is. Wannabees like
[well, we all know the name he uses] denigrate him, snd he feels obliged to
defend himself in various ways. One could fairly say that you, Bret, and I are
all in this together.

: Some of my crap-work gets published within my rural town so I can't
: begin to imagine what Bret could achieve.

Neither can he, but he's not too old to figure it out in time.

: My lack of full command over my physical and mental faculties is a
: frustration of my illness that I try not to let bother me too much.
: However, there are rare times, such as this, when I would like nothing
: better than be able to write sincerely meaningful and appropriate words
: of encouragement.

As others have pointed out, you already have.

Bob
Old March 13th 12, 10:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 13/03/2012 5:50 AM:

Agree 100%. Bret's work is more than good enough to publish. We have
already seen enough high quality material from him for several books,
he just needs the encouragement to do it.

(pssssst)
books require a little bit more image quality than a 600X400 web jpg...
probably likely why he's after top lens IQ?
(/pssssst)