[SI] F,G,S is up (and complete)

Old October 3rd 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default [SI] F,G,S is up (and complete)

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:45:16 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:
: On 2012.10.02 17:48 , Savageduck wrote:
: On 2012-10-02 14:41:56 -0700, Alan Browne
: said:
:
: On 2012.10.02 17:11 , Savageduck wrote:
: On 2012-10-02 14:03:08 -0700, Alan Browne
: said:
:
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letters_fgs
:
: Complete?
:
: A certain Alan Browne seems conspicuous by his absence.
:
: A certain Alan Browne took less than 200 photos in the last month.
: And only one for mandate: a Garter Snake in the Forest. But with my
: iPhone
: and the exposure was horrid and the edit to recover it not so good.
:
: http://tinyurl.com/9mtpeyy
:
: As good as some which have been submitted.
:
: Sorry to hear that!

You may say that, but it's a good picture. It's in focus, properly exposed,
with good composition, and the snake seems to be enjoying his preferred
environment.

Bob
Old October 3rd 12, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.10.02 21:15 , Robert Coe wrote:

You may say that, but it's a good picture. It's in focus, properly exposed,
with good composition, and the snake seems to be enjoying his preferred
environment.

It was so over exposed that correcting it gave the image a gaudy, awful
look. Face it, the iPhone 4 has a nice little camera, but there's only
so much rescuing that can be done when it's over exposed. Even worse
when under.

The snake was indeed happy on a cool day laying in a spot of sunshine to
warm his cold blooded heart. Didn't mind the attention either (as we
stopped other people had to stop to look too...)

There used to be a barred owl that hung around not too far from there
but I haven't seen him in a few months ... no way that snake could lay
about like that with the owl around.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old October 4th 12, 07:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
otter

Default F,G,S is up (and complete)

On Oct 2, 4:03*pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letters_fgs

Tim Conway Solarization: I like this. Music to listen to (very loud
with headphones) while watching this pictu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s_oAV9LtJE

Eric Stevens wood block: very clever.

Duck: All three nice this time. If I were just a little more into
airplanes, I could see hanging the FW190 on a wall. The sofa is
missing the babe, though.

Bob Flint: Forager - nice shot. Maybe could use a touch more contrast
to add some "pop". Spider - nice focus on the web. Pretty good shot
I think.

Peter Newman - Bird - hey, I actually LIKE the bird. Maybe my eyes
are going, too. I'm trying very hard to not even think about the
Gazelle picture, thank you very much.

Bowser - The gater shot is a keeper.

Bob Coe - It is really hard to make interesting seashore shots,
because we have all been spoiled from seeing pictures produced with TS-
E lenses and Lee big stopper filters at sunset or sunrise, etc.etc.

K Petre - I like the Glasgow picture the best of the three. A bit of
a hohum showing from you this time, though. But maybe it is just the
clouds.

Martha's bra pictu Hey, what's not to like? Actually, a very
pleasant picture to look at; good work.

Cooper staircase - Best of the three. Technically OK, and fit the
mandate, but not compelling to me.. Not sure why. Maybe the angle
just doesn't work for my tastes. (Edit) You know, I hate to steal
Charles' thunder, but maybe if you cropped the bottom off to just
above the lower joint in the wood, it might generate a better geometry
to look at. (Edit again) Too many Coopers, I thought one of Cleary's
belonged to you. The Gater Grill is also an interesting and colorful
shot.

Cleary glow - Alright! Someone who likes abstracts. Keep it up!

DaveC - Surfer - Nice action shot.

DanP- slug. Would you really have taken that except for the mandate?
You need to sit in the corner with Newman.

Me - flipper. Lucky grab with the 5D2, which is not known for action
shots.

Sid- I like all three of those, especially the dog and berries. Not
sure how they fit the mandate though. You should have given captions,
I think. Was that a frigging German Shepard?

And where is Mitch, anyway????

Old October 4th 12, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 23:02:42 -0700 (PDT), otter
wrote:

On Oct 2, 4:03*pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letters_fgs

Tim Conway Solarization: I like this. Music to listen to (very loud
with headphones) while watching this pictu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s_oAV9LtJE

I used ear plugs. :-(

Eric Stevens wood block: very clever.

It isn't really just a wood block. Its the block of wood in which the
letter punches are stored when they are not in use. As you can see
there is a mating block on top which is drilled to take the upper half
of the punches - to act as a cover.

They are both roughly finished but that's the condition in which they
are supplied. Notice the small notch on the side which tells you that
you have the cover on around the right way.

Eric Stevens
Old October 4th 12, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
otter

On Oct 4, 3:24*am, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 23:02:42 -0700 (PDT), otter

wrote:
On Oct 2, 4:03 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letters_fgs

Tim Conway Solarization: I like this. *Music to listen to (very loud
with headphones) while watching this pictu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s_oAV9LtJE

I used ear plugs. * :-(

Eric Stevens wood block: very clever.

It isn't really just a wood block. Its the block of wood in which the
letter punches are stored when they are not in use. As you can see
there is a mating block on top which is drilled to take the upper half
of the punches - to act as a cover.

They are both roughly finished but that's the condition in which they
are supplied. Notice the small notch on the side which tells you that
you have the cover on around the right way.

Yeah, I actually figured that out. It was just a short-hand way of
saying that. Like I said, it's a clever picture.
Old October 4th 12, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tim Conway[_2_]

"otter" wrote in message
On Oct 2, 4:03 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letters_fgs

Tim Conway Solarization: I like this. Music to listen to (very loud
with headphones) while watching this pictu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s_oAV9LtJE

Thanks. Cool, I grew up with that band...even saw them at Allentown PA
Fairgrounds and again at Woodstock.

The photo was taken a decade ago with a Kodak DC-260 (I think) and run thru
ArcSoft Photo Studio's solarization filter and cleaned up with a cloning
tool.

Old October 4th 12, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
sid

otter wrote:

Sid- I like all three of those, especially the dog and berries. Not
sure how they fit the mandate though. You should have given captions,
I think. Was that a frigging German Shepard?

they are Spaniel, Gull Rock and Fruit, and you are right I should have
captioned them and I should have included the exif. next time.

cheers

--
sid
RLU 300284
Old October 5th 12, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
PeterN

On 10/4/2012 2:02 AM, otter wrote:

Peter Newman - Bird - hey, I actually LIKE the bird. Maybe my eyes
are going, too.

I will have to play some more.

I'm trying very hard to not even think about the
Gazelle picture, thank you very much.

I was really just walking along and saw this tiger holding the
silverware. His intent was clear. I was actually looking for the grill.
How many times have you seen a tiger with good table manners? It was a
first for me and I decided to share the experience.

--
Peter
Old October 5th 12, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
otter

On Oct 4, 11:22*am, "Tim Conway" wrote:
"otter" wrote in message

On Oct 2, 4:03 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letters_fgs

Tim Conway Solarization: I like this. *Music to listen to (very loud
with headphones) while watching this pictuhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s_oAV9LtJE

Thanks. *Cool, I grew up with that band...even saw them at Allentown PA
Fairgrounds and again at Woodstock.

I never got to see them play, but they were one of my favorites. One
summer, I lived down the beach from Grace and Paul in Bolinas, but
never saw them.