Digital Rebel Time Lapse?

Old October 13th 04, 12:56 PM
CRD

Default Digital Rebel Time Lapse?

Hi guys,

Is the Canon Digital Rebel able to shoot time lapse shots (1 frame every 5
secs or so), and if yes, does it automatically put them into a movie form
for you like some P&S's, or is there another program?

I've been searching the internet and newsgroup archives for a while trying
to find a definitive answer. Seems I'm either getting conflicting answers,
or none at all. Any info anyone can give would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Chris

Old October 13th 04, 01:37 PM
Edward Holt

"CRD" wrote in message
Hi guys,

Is the Canon Digital Rebel able to shoot time lapse shots (1 frame every 5
secs or so), and if yes, does it automatically put them into a movie form
for you like some P&S's, or is there another program?

I've been searching the internet and newsgroup archives for a while trying
to find a definitive answer. Seems I'm either getting conflicting answers,
or none at all. Any info anyone can give would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Chris

You can certainly get the camera to take picutures in predefined intervals
when it is connected to a PC via USB.

Old October 13th 04, 02:04 PM
GT40

You can use a computer to trip the camera, or I think you maybe able
to use a Pocket Wizard

Old October 13th 04, 08:34 PM

"CRD" wrote:

I've been searching the internet and newsgroup archives for a while trying
to find a definitive answer. Seems I'm either getting conflicting answers,
or none at all.

Eh?

www.google.com: canon digital rebel time lapse

First hit (right at the top):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sp?dontcount=1

Which says (it's even right there on the google result if you can't
bring yourself to click on the link):

"Time-lapse recording, Yes, by USB cable and [PC]."

Total search time is dominated by typing the (frankly obvious) search
phrase. Maybe a second or two?

Construction of a movie:

www.google.com: how to make a movie from jpeg images

Is not obviously productive. You can grunge around in those results
for a few minutes, or try changing "a movie" to "an animation". In
either case, you'll find the keywords that can help narrow the search.

http://www.google.ca/help/index.html

(Hint: Making a QuickTime movie from JPEG stills is a fairly
straightforward programming job.)

A much more interesting question: does the 300D/Rebel possess the USB
or CF bandwidth to take a picture every five seconds? I know that the
10D has trouble with one of Canon's fancy-ass TC-80N3 timer-remote
controls faster than about 1 frame/8 seconds or so, but that is mainly
(I think) because of problems with how the remote interacts with the
10D, and not the 10D per se.

Old October 14th 04, 08:08 AM
Hils

CRD wrote

Is the Canon Digital Rebel able to shoot time lapse shots (1 frame every 5
secs or so), and if yes, does it automatically put them into a movie form
for you like some P&S's, or is there another program?

The TC-80N3 will fire the camera at regular intervals. I'm not aware of
the incompatibility mentioned elsewhere, but you'll probably need to set
the camera to shoot low-res JPEGs to get enough pics on one memory card,
and this may also reduce data bottlenecks.

For free and functional JPG to AVI software, try PhotoLapse.

http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/index.html

--
Hil
Old October 14th 04, 09:58 AM
RTJ

"CRD" wrote in message
Hi guys,

Is the Canon Digital Rebel able to shoot time lapse shots (1 frame every 5
secs or so), and if yes, does it automatically put them into a movie form
for you like some P&S's, or is there another program?

One comment - don't forget to set shutter speed, aperture (and white
balance !!! - if you use jpegs) manually while you're doing such shots ;-))

--
Regards
Romek

Old October 14th 04, 03:19 PM
Dave Herzstein

Hils wrote:

CRD wrote

Is the Canon Digital Rebel able to shoot time lapse shots...

The TC-80N3 will fire the camera at regular intervals....

The DRebel cannot use the TC-80N3.

-Dave