iphone crybaby sues Nikon (boo hoo! No iPhone support for D500 wifi!!

Old June 17th 16, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Storkamp[_2_]

Default iphone crybaby sues Nikon (boo hoo! No iPhone support for D500 wifi!!

In article ,
RichA wrote:

On Friday, 17 June 2016 04:41:49 UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 17 June 2016 00:49:18 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2150261...accuses-nikon-
of-false-advertising

I see another thing you haven't actually read.

Even the URL should give you a clue but it doesn;t.

This is abut false advertising, why would anyone want to promote or even
ignore such a thing.

Why can't they just be honest or just don't lie.

I'd like to see the box then.
Unless they implied his iPhone was directly supported, there was no false
advertising. How Nikon implements wifi is up to them and it's up to the
potential buyer to do a tiny bit of research before spending $2000.00.
P.S. Camera wifi systems are ALL bad, IMO.

It's easy enough to find a picture of the box. See for example:

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d500.htm

It does say "WiFi certified" and "Made for iPod iPhone iPad"
Old June 17th 16, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2150261...lly-accuses-ni
kon-of-false-advertising

I see another thing you haven't actually read.

Even the URL should give you a clue but it doesn;t.

This is abut false advertising, why would anyone want to promote or
even ignore such a thing.

Why can't they just be honest or just don't lie.

I'd like to see the box then.
Unless they implied his iPhone was directly supported, there was no false
advertising. How Nikon implements wifi is up to them and it's up to the
potential buyer to do a tiny bit of research before spending $2000.00.
P.S. Camera wifi systems are ALL bad, IMO.

It's easy enough to find a picture of the box. See for example:

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d500.htm

It does say "WiFi certified" and "Made for iPod iPhone iPad"

Then that is an issue right now. I think the guy could have just returned
it based on that. Nice that it has USB 3.0 though.

it's not an issue at all.

it's nothing more than another ignorant user.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/snapbridge-app.page

This camera“s built-in Wi-Fi® capability can only be used with a
compatible iPhone®, iPad®, and/or iPod touch® or smart devices
running on the Android operating system. The Nikon SnapBridge
application must be installed on the device before it can be used
with this camera.

SnapBridge App will be coming to the App Store® Summer 2016.

clear as can be.

the issue will be resolved within 3 months or less.
Old June 18th 16, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

It does say "WiFi certified" and "Made for iPod iPhone iPad"

Then that is an issue right now. I think the guy could have just
returned it based on that. Nice that it has USB 3.0 though.

it's not an issue at all.

it's nothing more than another ignorant user.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/snapbridge-app.page

This camera“s built-in Wi-Fi® capability can only be used with a
compatible iPhone®, iPad®, and/or iPod touch® or smart devices
running on the Android operating system. The Nikon SnapBridge
application must be installed on the device before it can be used
with this camera.

SnapBridge App will be coming to the App Store® Summer 2016.

clear as can be.

the issue will be resolved within 3 months or less.

Pretty much like Olympus, you have to run an app. on the phone or iPad
type device to get it to work.

big deal. everything requires an app of some sort.

When it does work.

then the olympus app is not that great. kinda like their cameras
Old June 18th 16, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

Pretty much like Olympus, you have to run an app. on the phone or iPad
type device to get it to work.

big deal. everything requires an app of some sort.

Phones and pads use wifi universally though, you can use anything from
browsers to whatever to connect via wifi.

using a browser to control a camera and transfer phones would be a
horrific user experience. ugh.

The cameras (that I know of) need
specific, dedicated aps, none of which are very good.

that's because camera makers generally can't write quality software.
they're good at making hardware.

even the bundled apps (for laptop/desktop) tend to suck.
Old June 18th 16, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-18 14:24:30 +0000, nospam said:

In article ,
RichA wrote:

Pretty much like Olympus, you have to run an app. on the phone or iPad
type device to get it to work.

big deal. everything requires an app of some sort.

Phones and pads use wifi universally though, you can use anything from
browsers to whatever to connect via wifi.

using a browser to control a camera and transfer phones would be a
horrific user experience. ugh.

The cameras (that I know of) need
specific, dedicated aps, none of which are very good.

that's because camera makers generally can't write quality software.
they're good at making hardware.

even the bundled apps (for laptop/desktop) tend to suck.

So far I have little to complain about with the Fujifilm WiFi
implementation, other than it is a bit of a kludge to make the initial
connection.
I get a full featured remote with display on iPhone or iPad, that
includes the ability to use AF, and set exposure parameters. I can
browse the images on camera, and transfer from camera to iPhone or
iPad. Lastly I can sync location data from phone to files for
geotagging.
https://db.tt/BHzkCkZ3
https://db.tt/8Vj8qlyy

Savageduck

Old June 18th 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

Pretty much like Olympus, you have to run an app. on the phone or iPad
type device to get it to work.

big deal. everything requires an app of some sort.

Phones and pads use wifi universally though, you can use anything from
browsers to whatever to connect via wifi.

using a browser to control a camera and transfer phones would be a
horrific user experience. ugh.

The cameras (that I know of) need
specific, dedicated aps, none of which are very good.

that's because camera makers generally can't write quality software.
they're good at making hardware.

even the bundled apps (for laptop/desktop) tend to suck.

So far I have little to complain about with the Fujifilm WiFi
implementation, other than it is a bit of a kludge to make the initial
connection.

is that by connecting to the camera's adhoc wifi network?

as i said:
that's because camera makers generally can't write quality software.

doing it that way is easy for the camera maker but makes for a worse
user experience.

I get a full featured remote with display on iPhone or iPad, that
includes the ability to use AF, and set exposure parameters. I can
browse the images on camera, and transfer from camera to iPhone or
iPad. Lastly I can sync location data from phone to files for
geotagging.
https://db.tt/BHzkCkZ3
https://db.tt/8Vj8qlyy

sounds like the usual feature set.
Old June 18th 16, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-18 14:59:02 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Pretty much like Olympus, you have to run an app. on the phone or iPad
type device to get it to work.

big deal. everything requires an app of some sort.

Phones and pads use wifi universally though, you can use anything from
browsers to whatever to connect via wifi.

using a browser to control a camera and transfer phones would be a
horrific user experience. ugh.

The cameras (that I know of) need
specific, dedicated aps, none of which are very good.

that's because camera makers generally can't write quality software.
they're good at making hardware.

even the bundled apps (for laptop/desktop) tend to suck.

So far I have little to complain about with the Fujifilm WiFi
implementation, other than it is a bit of a kludge to make the initial
connection.

is that by connecting to the camera's adhoc wifi network?

Yup! The kludge procedure is to activate the camera WiFi network, then
to go to the iOS device WiFi settings to connect with the camera
network. Only then do you open the Fuji 'Cam Remote' app.

as i said:
that's because camera makers generally can't write quality software.

doing it that way is easy for the camera maker but makes for a worse
user experience.

Once connected it works pretty well. I would hope they improve that
side of things to improve the user experience. It would be nice if they
could make the whole experience seamless so the shooter could have a
realtime WiFi tethered transfer function, as it is possible to get via
USB with an iPad.

I get a full featured remote with display on iPhone or iPad, that
includes the ability to use AF, and set exposure parameters. I can
browse the images on camera, and transfer from camera to iPhone or
iPad. Lastly I can sync location data from phone to files for
geotagging.
https://db.tt/BHzkCkZ3
https://db.tt/8Vj8qlyy

sounds like the usual feature set.

I actually like the remote control which is very useful for all types
of tripod mounted photography from slow shutter speed work, landscape,
to macro.

Savageduck

Old June 18th 16, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

So far I have little to complain about with the Fujifilm WiFi
implementation, other than it is a bit of a kludge to make the initial
connection.

is that by connecting to the camera's adhoc wifi network?

Yup! The kludge procedure is to activate the camera WiFi network, then
to go to the iOS device WiFi settings to connect with the camera
network. Only then do you open the Fuji 'Cam Remote' app.

do you have to do that each time?

as i said:
that's because camera makers generally can't write quality software.

doing it that way is easy for the camera maker but makes for a worse
user experience.

Once connected it works pretty well. I would hope they improve that
side of things to improve the user experience. It would be nice if they
could make the whole experience seamless so the shooter could have a
realtime WiFi tethered transfer function, as it is possible to get via
USB with an iPad.

don't hold your breath on that.

it's 'good enough' and that's all that matters to them, unfortunately.

I get a full featured remote with display on iPhone or iPad, that
includes the ability to use AF, and set exposure parameters. I can
browse the images on camera, and transfer from camera to iPhone or
iPad. Lastly I can sync location data from phone to files for
geotagging.
https://db.tt/BHzkCkZ3
https://db.tt/8Vj8qlyy

sounds like the usual feature set.

I actually like the remote control which is very useful for all types
of tripod mounted photography from slow shutter speed work, landscape,
to macro.

it's quite handy.
Old June 18th 16, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-18 16:18:57 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

So far I have little to complain about with the Fujifilm WiFi
implementation, other than it is a bit of a kludge to make the initial
connection.

is that by connecting to the camera's adhoc wifi network?

Yup! The kludge procedure is to activate the camera WiFi network, then
to go to the iOS device WiFi settings to connect with the camera
network. Only then do you open the Fuji 'Cam Remote' app.

do you have to do that each time?

Unfortunately, yes.

Even worse, you can't escape from one function, return to the main
menu, and move to another function. It is without doubt a kludge, and
without WiFi tethering some of the transfer functions are litle silly.
If I want to transfer images from the camera, using the camera LCD to
browse and select, I am locked into that function on the camera. There
is no shoot and simulaneous transfer as you would have when tethered.
The 'Browse Camera' from the iDevice works well enough to browse,
select and transfer, but it is not something I would do as a regular
thing in the field.

The best of the WiFi functions from my point of view is the remote. The
connection is maintained shot-to-shot, and has a range I could not get
with a wired remote or, an analog cable release.
For my D300S I use a Phottix WXD-188, which is useful, but does not
give me a remote display or exposure/focus adjustibility.

The Geotagging works much as other older GPS syncing devices do.
However, location services must be active on the iOS device. Then as
long as you had your phone with you at the shoot location that sync can
be executed at anytime to add the Geotag to the files on the SDHC.

That said, for my purposed it is good enough.
What I hope for is Fuji to apply some of their update philosophy and
polish the entire WiFi system. That is one of the big differences I
have found when comparing Fujifilm with other camera manufacturers,
they issue regular firmware fixes and update features in older cameras
and lenses. My X-E2 is now at firmware version 4.01, and is a very
different camera to the one I originally unboxed. The only Nikon
firmware update I ever got was for my D70.

Old June 18th 16, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

So far I have little to complain about with the Fujifilm WiFi
implementation, other than it is a bit of a kludge to make the initial
connection.

is that by connecting to the camera's adhoc wifi network?

Yup! The kludge procedure is to activate the camera WiFi network, then
to go to the iOS device WiFi settings to connect with the camera
network. Only then do you open the Fuji 'Cam Remote' app.

do you have to do that each time?

Unfortunately, yes.

ugh.

adhoc wifi won't auto-reconnect and it also means you can't use
existing wifi for internet access.

what some devices do is use an adhoc network to initially connect so
that it can be configured and then don't use adhoc. while still a pain,
it's only done once.

ideally, devices would use btle for discovery and then auto-connect but
that means making the user experience a priority.

Even worse, you can't escape from one function, return to the main
menu, and move to another function. It is without doubt a kludge, and
without WiFi tethering some of the transfer functions are litle silly.
If I want to transfer images from the camera, using the camera LCD to
browse and select, I am locked into that function on the camera. There
is no shoot and simulaneous transfer as you would have when tethered.
The 'Browse Camera' from the iDevice works well enough to browse,
select and transfer, but it is not something I would do as a regular
thing in the field.

ugh again.