How to create a multi-page JPG or PDF

Old November 1st 14, 01:49 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Jonathan Williams

Default How to create a multi-page JPG or PDF

I went to a NY Times web URL on my iOS device, which said:
"In order to view this feature, you must download the latest
version of flash player here."

So, I go to Firefox, in Linux, and I can see the static flash content:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/y...s-gallery.html

Now I want to send that static flash content to my sister, who asked for
it, since she was the one who sent me the URL asking if I could see it.

So, I simply "print to PDF" on Linux, and, uh ... um... what do I get?
Nothing. I get the text, but many pages of, um... .blank space.

If I screenshot it, it's gonna be a half dozen screenshots that need to
be stitched together into one looooong JPG.

Is there a way to create a multi-page PDF or JPG of static flash content?
Old November 1st 14, 02:15 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

I can't see it because I don't have Flash, so I looked
at the code. Is it the simple diagram drawings you're
after? If so, they're listed here as JPGs:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...in_feature.xml

If you're doing screenshots then why can't you
just send a number of them? It's an interesting
question. I think one could create a multi-page
..doc in Libre Office and export it as a PDF. One
could also create a simple HTML file to display
all the images and send that. Ideally it would be
in a folder, inside a ZIP file, but the recipient might
not know how to deal with that, and AV software
on the other end might block ZIPs. You could
certainly create one giant JPG in a graphics
editor and paste your screenshots onto it, but
that's not a very usable format for viewing.

Old November 1st 14, 06:52 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Thad Floryan

On 11/1/2014 6:49 AM, Jonathan Williams wrote:
I went to a NY Times web URL on my iOS device, which said:
"In order to view this feature, you must download the latest
version of flash player here."

So, I go to Firefox, in Linux, and I can see the static flash content:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/y...s-gallery.html

Now I want to send that static flash content to my sister, who asked for
it, since she was the one who sent me the URL asking if I could see it.

So, I simply "print to PDF" on Linux, and, uh ... um... what do I get?
Nothing. I get the text, but many pages of, um... .blank space.

If I screenshot it, it's gonna be a half dozen screenshots that need to
be stitched together into one looooong JPG.

Is there a way to create a multi-page PDF or JPG of static flash content?

The "Screengrab (fix version) 0.98.02c" addon to Firefox [right-click
context menu] select "Save - Complete page/frame" (aka Ctrl + Shift + !)
creates a single PNG file that's 986x6474 for that NYTimes page and it
should be viewable in any good image viewer noting you'll probably have
to "magnify" the image and scroll vertically given the 6474 vertical
pixel resolution.

You should be able to simply select that Screengrab from within Firefox
or you can get and install it he

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...b-fix-version/

That screengrab is really handy for documenting online banking and online
purchases given a "print to PDF" seldom produces acceptable results. You
could easily edit the created PNG using GIMP and slice it up and paste a
"page" at a time into FreeOffice, OpenOffice or LibreOffice to create a
PDF which might be more convenient for future viewing. FreeOffice is the
better of the three and it's available he

Parent commercial product:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoftMaker_Office
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoftMaker
http://www.softmaker.com/english/of_en.htm
http://www.softmaker.com/

Free version for Linux (note the manual pages are actually dated 2013
on their front covers and there's a new release coming soon):

http://www.freeoffice.com/

* TextMaker 2012 manual, 563 pages, 3MB:
http://www.softmaker.net/down/tm2012manual_en.pdf
* PlanMaker 2012 manual, 687 pages, 2.9MB:
http://www.softmaker.net/down/pm2012manual_en.pdf
* Presentations 2012 manual, 315 pages, 2.5MB:
http://www.softmaker.net/down/pr2012manual_en.pdf
* BasicMaker 2012 manual, 335 pages, 1.7MB:
http://www.softmaker.net/down/bm2012manual_en.pdf

with a review of FreeOffice and a reply from one of its developers
he

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/foru...p?f=49&t=70496

Thad
Old November 1st 14, 06:53 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
William Unruh

On 2014-11-01, Mayayana wrote:
I can't see it because I don't have Flash, so I looked
at the code. Is it the simple diagram drawings you're
after? If so, they're listed here as JPGs:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...in_feature.xml

If you're doing screenshots then why can't you
just send a number of them? It's an interesting
question. I think one could create a multi-page
.doc in Libre Office and export it as a PDF. One

Or just use pdfjoin.

Old November 1st 14, 07:17 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-11-01, Mayayana wrote:
I can't see it because I don't have Flash, so I looked
at the code. Is it the simple diagram drawings you're
after? If so, they're listed here as JPGs:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...in_feature.xml

If

you're doing screenshots then why can't you
just send a number of them? It's an interesting
question. I think one could create a multi-page
.doc in Libre Office and export it as a PDF. One

Or just use pdfjoin.

I have several solutions, but nothing for the folks using Linux.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1002.jpg.pdf

Savageduck

Old November 2nd 14, 02:25 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
tlvp

On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 18:53:00 +0000 (UTC), William Unruh commented:

I think one could create a multi-page
.doc in Libre Office and export it as a PDF. One

Or just use pdfjoin.

Or pdftk (use the "cat" option, to concatenate umpteen 1-page PDFs into one
umpteen-page one). HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp
Old November 2nd 14, 02:49 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tlvp
wrote:

I think one could create a multi-page
.doc in Libre Office and export it as a PDF. One

Or just use pdfjoin.

Or pdftk (use the "cat" option, to concatenate umpteen 1-page PDFs into one
umpteen-page one). HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

talk about overcomplicating things.
Old November 2nd 14, 03:21 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Jonathan Williams

Mayayana wrote, on Sat, 01 Nov 2014 10:15:16 -0400:

Is it the simple diagram drawings you're after?
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...dia/TEMPLATES/
GridGallery/data/20100719_napkin_feature.xml

Yes! Those are they!
But, you see them there as *separate* but in the flash, they form
a collage (in effect).

If you're doing screenshots then why can't you
just send a number of them?

Two reasons:
a. The sequence is *not* individual drawings, but a collage of
individual drawings, and,
b. The user has to piece together fifteen partial collages.

It's an interesting question. I think one
could create a multi-page .doc in Libre Office and export it as a PDF.

Hmmm.... Does LibreOffice open up a web page URL?
(Remember, in the URL given, they are presented as a collage of scores
of napkins in rows and columns, not as individual napkins.)

I brought up Libre Office Writer, and did a File Open and pasted
in the URL containing the set of collages:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/y...s-gallery.html
But, nothing happened.

One could also create a simple HTML file to display all the images and
send that.

I didn't know that the images were separate, since what I see is flash of
a collage of all the images, in rows and columns.

You could certainly create one giant JPG in
a graphics editor and paste your screenshots onto it, but that's not a
very usable format for viewing.

So far, I can't find *any* good method, yet.
Why the page won't just PRINT to PDF is beyond me.
That would be the preferred solution!
Old November 2nd 14, 03:22 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Jonathan Williams

William Unruh wrote, on Sat, 01 Nov 2014 18:53:00 +0000:

Or just use pdfjoin.

The problem is that the PDF is BLANK.
I can create the PDF simply by pressing File Print.
But the resulting PDF is uselessly blank.

Why?

Can *anyone* here print this page to PDF?
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/y...s-gallery.html
Old November 2nd 14, 03:23 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Jonathan Williams

tlvp wrote, on Sat, 01 Nov 2014 22:25:53 -0400:

Or pdftk (use the "cat" option, to concatenate umpteen 1-page PDFs into
one umpteen-page one). HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

My mistake for not being clear.
It's not the multipage that is the problem.
It's that the PDF is, essentially, blank:

Why?

Can *anyone* print this to PDF and see the many images in the results?
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/y...s-gallery.html