Sony tells DSLR shooters they're idiots

Old November 24th 12, 11:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Sony tells DSLR shooters they're idiots

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...-owners-youre-
idiots_n_2174844.html?utm_hp_ref=technology&ir=Tec hnology

Probably there is some truth behind it, i.e. lots of DSLR shooters not
knowing how to use their camera.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 24th 12, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012.11.24 05:13 , Alfred Molon wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...-owners-youre-
idiots_n_2174844.html?utm_hp_ref=technology&ir=Tec hnology

The advert is pretty crass. Notice that all the "victims" of this jerk
are using Canon and Nikon cameras?

It reminds me of the pitch by Olympus for the PEN EP-1 four-thirds
camera. The ads had Kevin Spacey talking about DSLR's and all the gear
and that "I don't want to be that guy." Much more subtle than what Sony
is doing with this NEX advert.

Maybe Sony _really_ want to get away from DSLRs.

That said, during the photowalk in Montreal I did chat with a
photographer (not in the photowalk) who asked why his Sekonic meter
wasn't giving him the same reading as his camera. I sorted him out
(maybe - he wanted the camera and meter to agree exactly - wasn't going
to happen except by chance) but found that whoever taught him about
exposure compensation did it from the point of view of using aperture or
speed priority rather than from manual settings.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but if you're teaching exposure the baseline
should be manual, not semi-auto modes.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old November 24th 12, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gary Eickmeier

Alfred Molon wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...-owners-youre-
idiots_n_2174844.html?utm_hp_ref=technology&ir=Tec hnology

Probably there is some truth behind it, i.e. lots of DSLR shooters not
knowing how to use their camera.

I think they are right of course.

But a miracle has happened in the amateur realm. For a while now,
professionals have been in competition with Uncle Harry with his big DSLR at
weddings. He is always there, and shooting all of your poses and making his
own wedding album and taking people's time and attention away from you.

Well, miracle of miracles, nowadays they are all shooting everything with
their phones! No more competition on image quality at least. And the people
will pay a lot less attention to the amateur with the phone than the
interloper with the Nikon. Hallelulia!

Gary Eickmeier

Old November 24th 12, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Alan Browne
says...

The advert is pretty crass. Notice that all the "victims" of this jerk
are using Canon and Nikon cameras?

Of course. Would Sony make fun of its own customers?

snip

Maybe Sony _really_ want to get away from DSLRs.

Well, the future is mirrorless anyway, i.e. the swinging mirror is a
dying design. That's why Nikon and Canon have introduced their own
mirrorless line. My brother plans to sell his Nikon D90 and keep only
the Canon G1X mirrorless.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 24th 12, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pat McGroyn

On 24-Nov-12 13:54, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
says...

The advert is pretty crass. Notice that all the "victims" of this jerk
are using Canon and Nikon cameras?

Of course. Would Sony make fun of its own customers?

snip

Maybe Sony _really_ want to get away from DSLRs.

Well, the future is mirrorless anyway, i.e. the swinging mirror is a
dying design. That's why Nikon and Canon have introduced their own
mirrorless line. My brother plans to sell his Nikon D90 and keep only
the Canon G1X mirrorless.

He should probably wait for the next version of the G1X. The current
one, while pretty good, was rush released. There is a lot of room for
improvement. When that happens I might buy it as well-even though the
Sony RX100 is pretty damn good.

Old November 24th 12, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:57:49 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

[...]

Hell, when I was first shooting an SLR my "meter" was the little sheet
of paper tha came with the film.
Old November 24th 12, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:40:55 -0500, "Gary Eickmeier"
wrote:

Alfred Molon wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...-owners-youre-
idiots_n_2174844.html?utm_hp_ref=technology&ir=Tec hnology

Probably there is some truth behind it, i.e. lots of DSLR shooters not
knowing how to use their camera.

I think they are right of course.

But a miracle has happened in the amateur realm. For a while now,
professionals have been in competition with Uncle Harry with his big DSLR at
weddings. He is always there, and shooting all of your poses and making his
own wedding album and taking people's time and attention away from you.

Well, miracle of miracles, nowadays they are all shooting everything with
their phones! No more competition on image quality at least. And the people
will pay a lot less attention to the amateur with the phone than the
interloper with the Nikon. Hallelulia!

Pretty funny. I recently got an iPhone 5, and, well, the camera sucks
unless conditions are optimal. And yes, fringing can be an issue to a
great degree.

I'll stick with a real camera.
Old November 24th 12, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Pat McGroyn says...
He should probably wait for the next version of the G1X.

He already bought one a few months ago.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 24th 12, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pat McGroyn

On 24-Nov-12 16:03, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Pat McGroyn says...
He should probably wait for the next version of the G1X.

He already bought one a few months ago.

It is a good camera for a first edition. Hope he is enjoying it. I am
looking forward to an improved second version. Canon really has this
market all to themselves considering Nikon did not make the P7700 with
the APS-C sensor and Sony is using the 1" sensor.
Old November 24th 12, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:13:09 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...r=Tec hnology

Probably there is some truth behind it, i.e. lots of DSLR shooters not
knowing how to use their camera.

Well, there are lots of things I am still learning about by D300.

Eric Stevens