Any Picasa users here? 2006 Mermaid Parade pictures

Old June 27th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Any Picasa users here? 2006 Mermaid Parade pictures

Are there any picasa users here? I've got questions about it's raw
converter and I hate to get yet another user ID/password frow another
web chat system.

If you've not heard, Picasa is free software from Google that might be
considered "irfanview+jalbum+some photo organizer product".
http://picasa.google.com/

last night I used it for the first time to organize the shots I took
at this year's Mermaid Festival at Coney Island, Brooklyn.

http://www.panix.com/~adykes/web/mermaid2006/

I culled 194 shots of the nearly 500 and cropped and tweaked each one
and made the web site in about 3 hours from installing the software.

This is the first pass. I need to figure out how to caption and
change the order, etc.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Old June 28th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Picasa supports some RAW formats, but not many. It is also not worth crap
for processing those raw files. Picasa is not an image editor, it has basic
and I mean basic editing features but nothing overly great. I mean you can
even set the amount of sharpening you apply.

The new 2.5 which is currently in beta and single Google never seems to take
anything out of beta will be in beta for many years to come supports a few
more RAW formats.

You are better off with good RAW processing software instead of the lame
features of Picasa. Picasa is fine for image management especially with
iView MediaPro now being bought by Microsoft.

Old June 28th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Al Dykes wrote:
Are there any picasa users here? I've got questions about it's raw
converter

What questions? It can read a bunch of raw formats and allows you to
do basic manipulation with the files the same as it does for JPEGs.

IME the raw converter doesn't produce such sharp images as RawShooter,
and it certainly doesn't let you tweak the process very much, but it is
very quick to use for selecting, sorting, cropping and uploading files
to a print service. I use it as the first pass and then use other
tools when I want to really edit pixels or tweak exposure.

This is the first pass. I need to figure out how to caption and
change the order, etc.

You can reorder by just dragging the pics around on the screen

Old July 19th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
salgud

I just dumped Pic-assa, looking for something more reliable. I have
been struggling with getting Pic-assa to do simple things for some
time. I finally figured out how to save an edited photo without having
to export it (something impossible to do, according to this group),
then when I went back later to do the same thing with some other pix,
it didn't appear to work! Couldn't find the edited photos. Weeks later,
looking for something else entirely, I found the missing edited photos
in a different Picasa folder. No idea why Pic-assa put them there. I've
had similar problems with other features.

I downloaded all my pix from my vacation in Costa Rica last Feb.
Pic-assa seemed to work fine, and I deleted the images off my memory
card. A few days later, went in to look at the pix, they were gone!
Thank God for memory card recovery software.

Earlier today, I needed to resize some images here at work, so I
downloaded Pic-assa and tried to resize them. It did nothing to the pix
at all. I downloaded and little single purpose piece of freeware called
re-size and it worked great.

Pic-assa is history for me!