Morro Bay Dredge

Old May 12th 21, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Morro Bay Dredge

Am 12.05.2021 um 21:31 schrieb Savageduck:
On May 12, 2021, Alfred Molon wrote
(in article ):

Am 12.05.2021 um 20:56 schrieb Savageduck:

Do you also have some 20MP stills of this drone?

Of the drone itself or stills from the drone?

I meant stills taken by the drone. I'd like to see how good the image
quality is.

OK! As this is new I haven’t shot many stills yet. That said here is the straight out of camera unprocessed/edited, or cropped version of the still I posted.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work-2021/i-dDVNGP8/0/16f11cd2/O/DJI_0099.jpg

Not bad. There is plenty of detail in the centre of the image.

I'm curious what results you get with ideal lighting conditions and how
easy it is to process the RAW files.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
Old May 13th 21, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 12, 2021, Alfred Molon wrote
(in article ):

Am 12.05.2021 um 21:31 schrieb Savageduck:
On May 12, 2021, Alfred Molon wrote
(in article ):

Am 12.05.2021 um 20:56 schrieb Savageduck:

Do you also have some 20MP stills of this drone?

Of the drone itself or stills from the drone?

I meant stills taken by the drone. I'd like to see how good the image
quality is.

OK! As this is new I haven’t shot many stills yet. That said here is the straight out of camera unprocessed/edited, or cropped version of the still I posted.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work-2021/i-dDVNGP8/0/16f11cd2/O/DJI_0099.jpg

Not bad. There is plenty of detail in the centre of the image.

I'm curious what results you get with ideal lighting conditions and how
easy it is to process the RAW files.

I will share an ideal lighting RAW, I just need to find a good subject over the next day or so.

All of the DJI RAW files are DNG, and I haven’t had issues processing with a selection of software including Lightroom, Exposure X6, Luminar, and Capture One

Savageduck

Old May 13th 21, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 12, 2021, Ken Hart wrote
(in article ):

On 5/12/21 8:47 AM, Savageduck wrote:
I took my new DJI Air 2S down to Morro Bay to give it a workout. I was surprised to find the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dredge “Yaquina” clearing sand build up from the harbor entrance. So here is a still, and a video shot with the DJI Air 2S.

The still shot of the dredge “Yaquina”
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work-2021/i-bDspVjV/0/b46ff0d2/O/DJI_0099c.jpg

The video shot at 4K 30fps, and rendered at 1080P to save on file size for sharing.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work-2021/i-85MNF5q/0/dd79ec97/1920/MB%20Dredge_mp4-1920.mp4

Very nice. I viewed it with Chromium and a VDSL connection; played smoothly.

Looks just like the Susquehanna River at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Except for the boats, the beaches, the size, the lack of a Statue of
Liberty. On second thought, it looks nothing like the Susquehanna River!

Definitely nothing like the Susquehanna.

Morro Bay is on the Chorro Creek estuary where it opens out onto tidal mud flats before opening up to the Bay anchorage, and harbor.
Here is a 180º pano of the South bay, tidal mud flats, and marina shot with my old Air 2.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work-2021/i-qZJXS6s/0/a3f00380/O/DJI_0011Pmb1.jpg

Savageduck

Old May 13th 21, 08:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Am 13.05.2021 um 03:26 schrieb Savageduck:
[...]

Well, all RAW files of the Xiaomi Fimi drone I bought in 2019 are also
DNG, but it is almost impossible to process them with standard software,
because there is a huge magent cast. The JPEGs are ok on the other hand,
so there must be something weird in the way the Xiaomi drone encodes its
DNG files.

But I'm guessing that DJI drones doesn't have this problem. So I'm
wondering how good dynamic range and highlight recovery are and how
accurate the automatic white balance is.
If it's the same sensor as the one of the Mavic 2, the DNGs should be
quite good

Old May 13th 21, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Ping Alfred Molon - Morro Bay Dredge DJI DNG

On May 12, 2021, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

[...]

OK here are three Air 2S RAW file I shot this morning in/over my neighborhood.
I am using iCloud/iCloudDrive sharing as that has been convenient for me with large files. If you
have a problem accessing them let me know and I will use DropBox.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0K0RH2psiHiZZTjPmJDGMyTvg#DJI_A2S_DNG

Old May 13th 21, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Am 13.05.2021 um 17:52 schrieb Savageduck:
OK here are three Air 2S RAW file I shot this morning in/over my neighborhood.
I am using iCloud/iCloudDrive sharing as that has been convenient for me with large files. If you
have a problem accessing them let me know and I will use DropBox.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0K0RH2psiHiZZTjPmJDGMyTvg#DJI_A2S_DNG

Hmmm... seems to require an iCloud ID. But actually it's enough if you
tell me whether the DNGs are easy to process or not.

Old May 13th 21, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 13, 2021, Alfred Molon wrote
(in article ):

Am 13.05.2021 um 17:52 schrieb Savageduck:
OK here are three Air 2S RAW file I shot this morning in/over my neighborhood.
I am using iCloud/iCloudDrive sharing as that has been convenient for me with large files. If you
have a problem accessing them let me know and I will use DropBox.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0K0RH2psiHiZZTjPmJDGMyTvg#DJI_A2S_DNG

Hmmm... seems to require an iCloud ID. But actually it's enough if you
tell me whether the DNGs are easy to process or not.

You should be able to access them without an iCloud ID, but perhaps because they were in a folder might have complicated things.

Here are each individual shared link if you still care to play. I checked the permissions, and they are available to anybody with the link.

Otherwise the DNGs are easy enough to process, I used Lightroom.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0ON9Rg66uU_b_yAPjL1wxHysw#DJI_0105
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0j3AftBd2PYQKIZFZ66zHyWLw#DJI_0104
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0hS6rYXlGz-nuIGiOIcZF5LRQ#DJI_0107

Savageduck

Old May 14th 21, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Am 14.05.2021 um 00:25 schrieb Savageduck:

Otherwise the DNGs are easy enough to process, I used Lightroom.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0ON9Rg66uU_b_yAPjL1wxHysw#DJI_0105
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0j3AftBd2PYQKIZFZ66zHyWLw#DJI_0104
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0hS6rYXlGz-nuIGiOIcZF5LRQ#DJI_0107

Now it works. For the RAW conversion I had to use a relatively low
colour temperature (even below 5000K in one or two cases). But otherwise
the sensor and the lens are quite good.

Old May 18th 21, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Morro Bay Dredge & Morro Strand State Beach

On May 12, 2021, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

I took my new DJI Air 2S down to Morro Bay to give it a workout. I was surprised to find the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dredge “Yaquina” clearing sand build up from the harbor entrance. So here is a still, and a video shot with the DJI Air 2S.

The still shot of the dredge “Yaquina”
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work-2021/i-bDspVjV/0/b46ff0d2/O/DJI_0099c.jpg

The video shot at 4K 30fps, and rendered at 1080P to save on file size for sharing.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work-2021/i-85MNF5q/0/dd79ec97/1920/MB%20Dredge_mp4-1920.mp4

I was down at Morro Bay again today, so I shot from a different location North of the harbor entrance along Morro Strand State Beach.

Still using the DJI Air 2S with video shot at 4K 30fps with shared rendering at 1080P.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work-2021/i-GKvPdns/0/fa2e830b/1920/Morro%20Strand_mp4-1920.mp4

Savageduck

Old May 18th 21, 09:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 18 May 2021 at 08:21:34 BST, "Savageduck"
wrote:

[...]

Hugely impressive - must have cost a fortune to get anything approaching that
quality pre-drone.

Small thing, and I'm not sure if it's related to my computer (reasonably up to
date Mac, playing in a browser), but there seems to be slight 'judder' as the
camera pans, say around 30 - to 40s.

--
Cheers, Rob