Best mic for Canon 3Ti?

Old December 12th 14, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jennifer Murphy[_2_]

Default Best mic for Canon 3Ti?

My granddaughter (age 16) is getting a Canon 3Ti for Christmas. Her dad
says she would like a mic to use with it. Can anyone recommend a good
one? Thanks
Old December 13th 14, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 12/12/2014 1:29 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
My granddaughter (age 16) is getting a Canon 3Ti for Christmas. Her dad
says she would like a mic to use with it. Can anyone recommend a good
one? Thanks

While i am not into video, I am familiar with audio, having many years
experience with speech to text applications.
Depending on the budget, just about any noise cancelling mic should work
reasonably well. There are two bacis types directional and
omnidirectional. I would think that a dirctional would be more suitable
for a beginning video student.

This video and comments should help, the following link i to various
Canon mics.

HTH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAqXEFAsz4s

http://www.compare99.com/compare.html?q=microphone-for-canon&ort=Canon-Microphone-Sale&adid=iaCkp56lxJ%2BhoY6vzJSkotHK0p%2BXWdDNoHST odDQkH6bltPR05mhocaI1m6ZlNbViZSalNOfxg%3D%3D&gclid =CJia0b3_wcICFSIV7Aod2CgAvA

http://tinyurl.com/mmcax7t

--
PeterN
Old December 13th 14, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jennifer Murphy[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 21:51:34 -0500, PeterN wrote:

[...]

The Rode mic in the youtube video does look like it would be very good,
but it is a little more than I wanted to spend for a kid who may not
stick with it. If she does, I'll get her something better later.

I decided to go with this one. I hope it's good enough to five her a
decent experience.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EFAGJTC/...745480_TE_item

Thanks for the help. I'll keep it in mind for next Christmas. ;-)
Old December 13th 14, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pablo

Jennifer Murphy wrote:

My granddaughter (age 16) is getting a Canon 3Ti for Christmas. Her dad
says she would like a mic to use with it.

How does she know what she's getting as presents? Isn't the idea that it be
a surprise?

--

Pablo

http://www.ipernity.com/home/313627
http://paulc.es/

Old December 13th 14, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-13 13:06:05 +0000, Pablo said:

Jennifer Murphy wrote:

My granddaughter (age 16) is getting a Canon 3Ti for Christmas. Her dad
says she would like a mic to use with it.

How does she know what she's getting as presents? Isn't the idea that it be
a surprise?

At 16 I am pretty sure that she knows that Santa doesn't exist, and
this might be one of those gifts suggested by, negotiated for, and
probably bought by Dad. The mic might be a suggestion by Dad to Grandma
as a supplement to his gift.
Regardless, of who is paying for the 3Ti, the mic is going to be an
accessory and is only going to be truly needed if video is the primary
use for the camera. If so it is not the greatest camera choice. If it
were up to me I would wait and see if a mic is really needed to
supplement the built in mic.

Methinks Dad is jumping the gun here.

Savageduck

Old December 16th 14, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

My thought is that if the kid says she wants a mike, somebody should ask
the kid how she plans to use it. She may have very definite purposes in
mind that call for a particular kind of microphone and if so getting her
the wrong kind is going to be a waste of money.

I agree, but we may be over-thinking this.

There is some reason to believe the built-in microphone is not
sufficient (if the camera has one). Absent more information, I think
Jennifer's Amazon microphone is a good choice.

But it is a monaural microphone. Does the camera have the capability of
recording stereo? There are stereo microphones available, but perhaps
none that would fit neatly on top of the camera!

Fred
Old December 21st 14, 07:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-21 06:17:30 +0000, John Navas said:

See http://tips.navas.us/2013/10/external-microphone.html

Now there is a name I haven't seen in the photo groups for a few years.

How are you doing John? ...and were you involved in the San Francisco
America's Cup effort?

Savageduck

Old December 21st 14, 08:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-21 06:17:30 +0000, John Navas said:

See http://tips.navas.us/2013/10/external-microphone.html

Now there is a name I haven't seen in the photo groups for a few years.

How are you doing John? ...and were you involved in the San Francisco
America's Cup effort?

I'm doing well. Thank you for asking. And you?

I am retired and lazing down here in the hills West of Paso Robles.

I was indeed involved in (accredited to) the 34th America's Cup
here in San Francisco. You can find my work on Sail-World.com and
YouTube.com/JNavas2

I remember your other sailing shots on the bay and elsewhere, and after
Oracle got to defend, i suspected you would be angling for a prime
shooting position. I wish I could have made it up there, but I had a
pretty good view with live streaming. TV coverage sucked, and in some
ways I think we got a much better even through the live stream.

Savageduck