How to create a multi-page JPG or PDF

Old November 11th 14, 02:02 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default How to create a multi-page JPG or PDF

In article , says...

nospam wrote:
you're ripping them off because you get 10 free articles per month
and for more than that, you're supposed to pay.
as i said, there are ways around that, but by doing so, you're
getting something for free to which you are not entitled.

The honest straightforward way to do that is logging in with credentials
and having them count the number of articles on their server. What they
actually seem to be doing is snooping and hiding stuff on your computer
to be shared with all kinds of other intruders they allow to run their
malicious programs on your machine. Only first party cookies, mostly
deleted at the end of session with some exceprtions and no scripts, and
if those only first party scripts, none by foreign and external snoopers
is the sensible and standard configuration.

The way they do,it, they also quite nonsensically allow ten article per
machine used, so home, work, tablet and phone make 40 for many users.
Conversely it is only ten for all users sharing a machine together. Any
sense in that? Thought not.

Just for hohos, I went to the NYT site using Firefox and loaded articles
until it told me my ten count had been exceeded. So then I went there
from Chrome and was able to see another 10. I didn't try doing it from
Opera and Safari and the several other browsers I have installed.

Then I logged in as a different user (that's logged into Windows, not
into the NYT site) and opened Firefox and had no trouble reading 10 more
articles.

If you have 10 users sharing a machine you really should set up user
accounts for them by the way.

simple concept.

But non-simple, sneaky, and underhand implementation.

Axel

Old November 11th 14, 02:23 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Chris Ahlstrom

J. Clarke wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

Just for hohos, I went to the NYT site using Firefox and loaded articles
until it told me my ten count had been exceeded. So then I went there
from Chrome and was able to see another 10. I didn't try doing it from
Opera and Safari and the several other browsers I have installed.

Then I logged in as a different user (that's logged into Windows, not
into the NYT site) and opened Firefox and had no trouble reading 10 more
articles.

Did you try deleting cookies from within the browser?

--
Crow- im fcucking druk
* Knghtbrd makes sure to log everything Crow- says tonight ...
Old November 11th 14, 03:28 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article , am says...

| ... which is
| short for application, a term which actually goes back over thirty
years.

| Oh, the term goes back way beyond "over thirty years": I remember filling
| out applications to college over half a century ago, as well as job
| applications and an application for a driver's license long before that.
| But they weren't being called apps yet, then :-) . It took Apple (who
else,
| after all?) to coin (and fail to copyright) the term "app", as "short" for
| "application program" (in lieu of simply "program").

The only people I've heard call Desktop software
an app is programmers. Apple then popularized it
for iPhone trinket apps. I now assume people mean
phone or tablet software when they say "app". Most
people wouldn't know to call PC software an app.

I define it as "that which one buys at an app store".

Microsoft makes a distinction--they have "Visual Studio Express for
Desktops" that creates standard applications, and "Visual Studio Express
for Windows" that creates apps that (hacking aside) have to be
distributed through the Microsoft app store (even if you are
distributing them to yourself for your own personal use). People get
confused on this point and think that all Visual Studio programs have to
go through the app store now--they don't. Yet . . .

I never liked the word. It sounds lazy. And a program
is really not an application until it's used for something.
For that reason I prefer "program". A word processor is
a program. A letter typed in that program is an application.
(Microsoft started calling .Net programs "solutions",
which is similar to "application". The term has marketing
built-in.)

But then programmers are also fickle about what
they call themselves: author, developer, programmer,
engineer, architect.... They've tried every term from
the building trades.

On the bright side, I haven't heard anyone say
"proggie" for awhile. That was the most adolescent,
obnoxious one I've heard.

Old November 11th 14, 03:35 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Just for hohos, I went to the NYT site using Firefox and loaded articles
| until it told me my ten count had been exceeded. So then I went there
| from Chrome and was able to see another 10. I didn't try doing it from
| Opera and Safari and the several other browsers I have installed.

If you just go into the Firefox privacy tab and
select custom settings from the dropdown you'll
see cookie options. If you then select to accept
first party cookies, block 3rd-party cookies and
delete all cookies when the browser closes, you'll
have full cookie functionality while blocking a
great deal of spying between websites. The only
thing you might lose would be useful functionality
of permanent cookies: The ability for websites to
recognize you on return. You should then be able
to also read the NYT to your heart's content.

To put it another way, the NYT does not actually
have a paywall. If they did you'd have to log in to
read articles. If you ever find that you can't read
articles at NYT you probably have sub-optimal cookie
settings that are allowing you to be spied on by ad
companies as you travel online.

Old November 11th 14, 03:44 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Axel Berger[_2_]

Mayayana wrote:
The ability for websites to recognize you on return.

That and more. Some shops store your cart in a cookie. so if you decide
not to buy yet and return a few days later, all the stuff you selected
already is still there. I hate it when stores don't offer that.

But the main thing is, it's up to me to decide whether something is
valuable to me or not and to allow permanent cookies accordingly. It is
not up to them to mess around on my machine regardless.

Axel
Old November 11th 14, 08:53 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Axel Berger
wrote:

you're ripping them off because you get 10 free articles per month
and for more than that, you're supposed to pay.
as i said, there are ways around that, but by doing so, you're
getting something for free to which you are not entitled.

The honest straightforward way to do that is logging in with credentials
and having them count the number of articles on their server.

that's one way. it's not the only way.

it's also a hassle for those who are under the 10 article limit.

the point of the 10 article limit is to provide enough of a sample to
entice people to sign up. locking it down will drive people away.

What they
actually seem to be doing is snooping and hiding stuff on your computer
to be shared with all kinds of other intruders they allow to run their
malicious programs on your machine.

nonsense, but even if that were true, you're arguing *for* a dedicated
app because an app is sandboxed and nothing else can get at it nor can
it get at anything else.

Only first party cookies, mostly
deleted at the end of session with some exceprtions and no scripts, and
if those only first party scripts, none by foreign and external snoopers
is the sensible and standard configuration.

The way they do,it, they also quite nonsensically allow ten article per
machine used, so home, work, tablet and phone make 40 for many users.
Conversely it is only ten for all users sharing a machine together. Any
sense in that? Thought not.

there's a lot of sense to what they're doing because it's hassle-free
for those who don't want to subscribe with an enticement to subscribe
once they reach the limit.

simple concept.

But non-simple, sneaky, and underhand implementation.

nonsense.
Old November 11th 14, 08:54 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Now that you have vented a personal attack, that means you won't admit
being wrong. If the previous sentence is incorrect, please explain your
logic.

you attacked first, as you always do.

Kindergarten response.
EOD

wrong again.

you prove my point even further by attacking again.

facts are facts.
Old November 11th 14, 08:54 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tlvp
wrote:

desktop (no hyphen) program is old school, ...

Darn tootin' it is ... as am I.

no surprise there.

... especially with laptops
being so common these days.

With changing times, standard terminology gets to become a bit of a
misnomer ... just like "dialing" a phone number in the absence of dials.

people don't say dial a number much anymore.

they say text me, since voice calls are far less common.

... everyone now calls it an app, ...

Present company excluded, if you don't mind :-) .

one exception makes no difference.

... which is
short for application, a term which actually goes back over thirty years.

Oh, the term goes back way beyond "over thirty years": I remember filling
out applications to college over half a century ago, as well as job
applications and an application for a driver's license long before that.
But they weren't being called apps yet, then :-) .

that's a different context and you know it.

application in the context of computers is another name for a program.

software can be divided into two general categories, application
software and systems software.

on the mac, end user software has always been called an application,
and on os x, the extension is .app. classic mac os didn't have
extensions, but the file type was appl, short for application.

on windows, end user software is often called an executable and has an
..exe extension.

It took Apple (who else,
after all?) to coin (and fail to copyright) the term "app", as "short" for
"application program" (in lieu of simply "program").

nope. users did that, not apple. in fact, the term predates apple's use
of it.

But enjoy your revisionary etymological history.

it isn't me who is revising it.
Old November 11th 14, 08:54 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| ... which is
| short for application, a term which actually goes back over thirty
years.

| Oh, the term goes back way beyond "over thirty years": I remember filling
| out applications to college over half a century ago, as well as job
| applications and an application for a driver's license long before that.
| But they weren't being called apps yet, then :-) . It took Apple (who
else,
| after all?) to coin (and fail to copyright) the term "app", as "short" for
| "application program" (in lieu of simply "program").

The only people I've heard call Desktop software
an app is programmers.

then you need to get out more.

Apple then popularized it
for iPhone trinket apps.

no they didn't and they're not trinket apps either.

the app store is a distribution method, and includes things like
photoshop touch and lightroom mobile.

I now assume people mean
phone or tablet software when they say "app".

nope.

Most
people wouldn't know to call PC software an app.

oh yes they do.

I never liked the word. It sounds lazy. And a program
is really not an application until it's used for something.

nonsense. an application is an application whether or not it's used and
regardless of what it's used for when it is.

For that reason I prefer "program". A word processor is
a program. A letter typed in that program is an application.

nope. something done in a word processor is a *document*.

(Microsoft started calling .Net programs "solutions",
which is similar to "application". The term has marketing
built-in.)

..net is microsoft proprietary.

But then programmers are also fickle about what
they call themselves: author, developer, programmer,
engineer, architect.... They've tried every term from
the building trades.

there are many types of programmers.

some write apps, some write operating systems and some write server
back end code. there's a wide range of programming tasks and therefore
there cannot be one single term to define them all.

On the bright side, I haven't heard anyone say
"proggie" for awhile. That was the most adolescent,
obnoxious one I've heard.

another is 'lappie for laptop.

"i have a new proggie on my lappie."

gag.