How to create a multi-page JPG or PDF

Old November 4th 14, 08:54 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default How to create a multi-page JPG or PDF

In article , Jonathan Williams
wrote:

install the ny times app.

That's not a solution.

yes it is.

it fixes the problem you're having.

You can't (and shouldn't need to) install *every* app there ever was,

do you do everything in a browser on your regular computer or do you
install apps in addition to a browser that are designed to do something
specific, like edit photos, spreadsheets, database, etc.?

it's the same thing on a tablet, get an app that is designed to do the
task you want to do rather than try to get a browser to kind of do it.

pick the proper tool for the task.

just to view every web page that uses flash.

flash is just a way to run web apps. why not run them locally?

and mobile flash is dead and desktop flash is on its way out anyway.
Old November 4th 14, 08:54 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Jonathan Williams
wrote:

meanwhile, the nytimes app will work properly, without issue, and
provide a much nicer user experience.

And what do you use for every other web page that uses flash?

what other pages? flash is dead.

the number of web pages that *require* flash and offer *no* alternative
are very few.

just about all web sites support mobile devices by offering non-flash
content because *both* android and ios do not support flash.

and another thing people don't realize is that flash content is
designed for mouse/keyboard, not touch, so even on older versions of
android that did support flash, it didn't work particularly well.

Having to install every single web page app on the planet can't possibly
be the suggestion long-term solution.

Can it?

absolutely.
Old November 6th 14, 11:33 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Axel Berger[_2_]

Savageduck wrote:
so why even go to the
NYT web page when they have a perfectly good free app

That was the way things used to get done up until around 1993. Then
along came Tim Berners-Lee and invented the web, so everyone could rad
every document without having to install individual proprietary software
for each. For a time things were perfect and then the self styled
"designers" took over ...

Axel
Old November 7th 14, 04:59 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , J. Clarke
wrote:

so why even go to the
NYT web page when they have a perfectly good free app

That was the way things used to get done up until around 1993. Then
along came Tim Berners-Lee and invented the web, so everyone could rad
every document without having to install individual proprietary software
for each. For a time things were perfect and then the self styled
"designers" took over ...

The content providers want to be sure of two things, the first is that
nobody steals their precious dreck, and the second is that nobody manage
to avoid the ads. They think that requiring custom apps will achieve
this.

that's not why at all.

apps provide for a much better user experience. users *want* apps. they
don't want everything in a browser.
Old November 7th 14, 04:59 AM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Axel Berger
wrote:

so why even go to the
NYT web page when they have a perfectly good free app

That was the way things used to get done up until around 1993. Then
along came Tim Berners-Lee and invented the web, so everyone could rad
every document without having to install individual proprietary software
for each. For a time things were perfect and then the self styled
"designers" took over ...

except you're not only reading documents and a browser is the wrong
tool for many tasks.

apps give a much better user experience because they're designed to do
a given task.

users *want* apps.
Old November 7th 14, 02:49 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| The content providers want to be sure of two things, the first is that
| nobody steals their precious dreck, and the second is that nobody manage
| to avoid the ads. They think that requiring custom apps will achieve
| this.
|
| that's not why at all.
|
| apps provide for a much better user experience. users *want* apps. they
| don't want everything in a browser.

Well, there's one unmitigated marketing success.
Now if they can just pull the wool over the eyes
of the other 50 million people who might visit their
site, they might be getting somewhere.

Old November 7th 14, 03:37 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| The content providers want to be sure of two things, the first is that
| nobody steals their precious dreck, and the second is that nobody manage
| to avoid the ads. They think that requiring custom apps will achieve
| this.
|
| that's not why at all.
|
| apps provide for a much better user experience. users *want* apps. they
| don't want everything in a browser.

Well, there's one unmitigated marketing success.
Now if they can just pull the wool over the eyes
of the other 50 million people who might visit their
site, they might be getting somewhere.

i see you've restocked your supply of tin foil.

first of all, it's no different than using apps on a desktop computer.

do you edit photos in a browser or do you use photoshop or similar? do
you work on documents/spreadsheets in a browser or do you use office or
similar (or even a text editor)?

you've previously said webmail sucks, so clearly you use an app for
mail instead of a browser and it looks like you don't use a browser for
usenet either, which makes you a hypocrite.

a browser is good for some things. it is *not* good for everything.

second, regarding your tin foil nonsense, there's more to track in a
browser than there is in an app because apps are sandboxed and have
*no* clue about other apps.

again, users want native apps, not web apps (which is what using a
browser would be) because apps can do all sorts of things a browser
could never do and do it a whole lot better.

why do you not want users to be able to use what they want?
Old November 7th 14, 04:45 PM posted to alt.os.linux,comp.text.pdf,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , J. Clarke
wrote:

| The content providers want to be sure of two things, the first is that
| nobody steals their precious dreck, and the second is that nobody manage
| to avoid the ads. They think that requiring custom apps will achieve
| this.
|
| that's not why at all.
|
| apps provide for a much better user experience. users *want* apps. they
| don't want everything in a browser.

Well, there's one unmitigated marketing success.
Now if they can just pull the wool over the eyes
of the other 50 million people who might visit their
site, they might be getting somewhere.

It's true that we don't want _everything_ in a browser--message boards
work much better in a newsreader for example. But that's not what the
"apps" do.

it is what apps do.