It's he The Nikon 750

Old September 14th 14, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
android

Default It's he The Nikon 750

On 2014-09-14 17:25:30 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Regardless of your poking and Jonas's snide remarks, I am not
considering a FF camera, unless I could get a bargain price on a D4S.
I am seriously considering the Fujifilm X-E2 which gives me an APS-C
sensor in a compact mirrorless body, with an exchangeable lens system.
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-e2/en/

Until I take the leap and buy that system, my D300S will do just fine.

how often do you push the limits of the buffer in the d300s?

Mainly at air shows.

because if it's not often, a d7100 is a big step up (as is the d7000)
in every way. the buffer is the only limitation.

...and that is a consideration.

You could acquire one of those and save valuable clicks on yer old
machine for future use!
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old September 14th 14, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-14 17:25:30 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Regardless of your poking and Jonas's snide remarks, I am not
considering a FF camera, unless I could get a bargain price on a D4S.
I am seriously considering the Fujifilm X-E2 which gives me an APS-C
sensor in a compact mirrorless body, with an exchangeable lens system.
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-e2/en/

Until I take the leap and buy that system, my D300S will do just fine.

how often do you push the limits of the buffer in the d300s?

Mainly at air shows.

because if it's not often, a d7100 is a big step up (as is the d7000)
in every way. the buffer is the only limitation.

...and that is a consideration.

You could acquire one of those and save valuable clicks on yer old
machine for future use!

Something to think about.

Savageduck

Old September 14th 14, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
android

On 2014-09-14 17:25:30 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Regardless of your poking and Jonas's snide remarks, I am not
considering a FF camera, unless I could get a bargain price on a D4S.
I am seriously considering the Fujifilm X-E2 which gives me an APS-C
sensor in a compact mirrorless body, with an exchangeable lens system.
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-e2/en/

Until I take the leap and buy that system, my D300S will do just fine.

how often do you push the limits of the buffer in the d300s?

Mainly at air shows.

because if it's not often, a d7100 is a big step up (as is the d7000)
in every way. the buffer is the only limitation.

...and that is a consideration.

You could acquire one of those and save valuable clicks on yer old
machine for future use!

Something to think about.

It sure is Sir! That's what I would consider, searching through my heart
if was sunk into the half frame format. I surely would!!! ;-)
Old September 15th 14, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 14/09/2014 18:09, Savageduck wrote:
[]
Regardless of your poking and Jonas's snide remarks, I am not
considering a FF camera, unless I could get a bargain price on a D4S.
I am seriously considering the Fujifilm X-E2 which gives me an APS-C
sensor in a compact mirrorless body, with an exchangeable lens system.
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-e2/en/

Until I take the leap and buy that system, my D300S will do just fine.

Lack of 10:1 zoom would be a deal-breaker for me with that camera, and
the micro-four-thirds gives yet more size reduction. But would any
mirrorless camera be fast enough for motor racing or air-show shots?

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 15th 14, 07:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-15 05:50:53 +0000, David Taylor
said:

On 14/09/2014 18:09, Savageduck wrote:
[]
Regardless of your poking and Jonas's snide remarks, I am not
considering a FF camera, unless I could get a bargain price on a D4S.
I am seriously considering the Fujifilm X-E2 which gives me an APS-C
sensor in a compact mirrorless body, with an exchangeable lens system.
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-e2/en/

Until I take the leap and buy that system, my D300S will do just fine.

Lack of 10:1 zoom would be a deal-breaker for me with that camera, and
the micro-four-thirds gives yet more size reduction. But would any
mirrorless camera be fast enough for motor racing or air-show shots?

What 10:1 zoom are you currently using, and with which camera?

The X-E2 has an APS-C sensor, not M4/3.

Reported AF speed is allegedly good, and with an initial frame rate of
7fps for ± 28 frames then a slow down to 3fps. So that would be
workable in action situations on the track, or at an air show.

While they don't currently offer an 18-200mm they have a 50-230mm with
should serve reasonably at both the track and airfield.
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xc50_230mmf45_67_ois/

The

kit lens is an 18-55mm.
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf18_55mmf28_4_r_lm_ois/

However,

the 18-135mm looks to be a decent all purpose walk-around lens.
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf18_135mmf35_56_r_lm_ois_wr/

Add

to that the 35mm f/1.4 for a fast normal lens.
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf35mmf14_r/

From

what I can see I can have decent 3 to 4 lens kit to work with.

Savageduck

Old September 15th 14, 08:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 15/09/2014 07:40, Savageduck wrote:
[]
[...]

What I wrote could have been better phrased, that MFT would give even
more size and weight reduction.

I'm currently using Panasonic GX7 with their 10:1 zoom, which weighs
just 265 grams. The Nikon 18-200 mm was 560 grams. Wide-angle I have
the very compact Olympus 9-18 (155 grams), compared to my Tamron10-24
(406 grams). The size those lenses are, they can easily fit into the
space occupied in my gadget bag by the DSLR with the 18-200. I only
need to take one lens round, although as the 9-18 is so small and light
I now mostly carry that round as well.

Having two lens suppliers is nice, but I wish there were more.

But my reservation with mirrorless cameras is the time taken to return
to viewing after a shot is taken. At the moment, as supplied, that's a
second or two, making any rapid action shooting difficult, if not
impossible. I suspect I'm missing a setting which stops the review of
the shot after taking, but it may be a point with the Fuji as well. I
suggest getting a demonstration.

Update: I just discovered that the default is a 2-second review period,
so I just disabled that and it's much better, but still more of a gap
before the viewfinder image reappears than with the DSLR.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 15th 14, 08:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-15 07:22:04 +0000, David Taylor
said:

[...]

From what I can see I can have decent 3 to 4 lens kit to work with.

What I wrote could have been better phrased, that MFT would give even
more size and weight reduction.

I'm currently using Panasonic GX7 with their 10:1 zoom, which weighs
just 265 grams. The Nikon 18-200 mm was 560 grams. Wide-angle I have
the very compact Olympus 9-18 (155 grams), compared to my Tamron10-24
(406 grams). The size those lenses are, they can easily fit into the
space occupied in my gadget bag by the DSLR with the 18-200. I only
need to take one lens round, although as the 9-18 is so small and light
I now mostly carry that round as well.

Having two lens suppliers is nice, but I wish there were more.

I was looking to lighten my DSLR load, and I figure I can do that with
the X-E2 and easily carry an extra lens or two in a pocket. That seems
better for some travel and/or strolling around shooting.I will keep my
DSLR kit for those times I want to pack the car and go, and have a
wider choice of goodies to work with.

But my reservation with mirrorless cameras is the time taken to return
to viewing after a shot is taken. At the moment, as supplied, that's a
second or two, making any rapid action shooting difficult, if not
impossible. I suspect I'm missing a setting which stops the review of
the shot after taking, but it may be a point with the Fuji as well. I
suggest getting a demonstration.

Update: I just discovered that the default is a 2-second review period,
so I just disabled that and it's much better, but still more of a gap
before the viewfinder image reappears than with the DSLR.

I read that in continuous mode the X-E2 can give you a true 7fps with
no review lag issues. One can only hope that isn't hype.
You might find some of this reading interesting.
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e2/features/index.html#section01

Savageduck

Old September 15th 14, 09:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 15/09/2014 08:50, Savageduck wrote:
[]
I read that in continuous mode the X-E2 can give you a true 7fps with no
review lag issues. One can only hope that isn't hype.
You might find some of this reading interesting.
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e2/features/index.html#section01

Yes, that looks good, but I would still suggest a dealer demonstration
so that you can see what it feels like at 7 fps. I'm not giving up my
DSLR either, but as I don't have a car, I can see its usage out in the
field being rather limited now.

I did also get a 20/1.7 pancake (40 f/3.4 full frame equivalent) for
night-time and "compact camera mode" outings...

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 15th 14, 10:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

says...

On 2014-09-15 07:22:04 +0000, David Taylor
said:

[...]

From what I can see I can have decent 3 to 4 lens kit to work with.

[...]

Have you considered a Canon 100D? It's only 50 grams heavier than the
Fuji (still less than half the weight of your 300DS), and being a Canon
DSLR it supports pretty much the full Canon system. Downside from your
viewpoint would be the 4FPS frame rate, I believe.

Old September 15th 14, 11:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

says...

On 2014-09-15 07:22:04 +0000, David Taylor
said:

[...]

Naah! If I was going to get another DSLR body eight now it would
probably be a D7100 as all I would need is a body. For now I can
tolerate the weight of the D300S. I look at the X-E2 as an upgrade to
my G11 rather than a DSLR replacement.
Now if I want to lighten my load for any particular reason, I grab my
G11. However, good as it is for a compact, it has its limitations and
the X-E2 removes those limitations. For me anyway.

As much as I like the idea of a FF camera, I don’t need, or desire a
36MP camera I would be quite happy with something in the 16-24MP range.
That more than anything is a reason I am not considering a
D800/D800E/D810. I would love to afford or be able to justify a D4.