Decision on a point & shoot camera

Old July 5th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Decision on a point & shoot camera

I want to purchase a pocket sized point and shoot digital camera so it is
easy to keep in my purse. My main concern is the lag time betweet pictures.
I would like one that has a minimal delay. I also would like to spend the
least possible for what I want in a quality camera for this type. Can anyone
give me a few suggestions? So far the one I like is the Pentax Optio T10 but
I am not sure about Pentax and not thrilled with the price although I am
considering it.

Thanks
Old July 5th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Marian wrote:
I want to purchase a pocket sized point and shoot digital camera so it is
easy to keep in my purse. My main concern is the lag time betweet pictures.
I would like one that has a minimal delay. I also would like to spend the
least possible for what I want in a quality camera for this type. Can anyone
give me a few suggestions? So far the one I like is the Pentax Optio T10 but
I am not sure about Pentax and not thrilled with the price although I am
considering it.

Thanks

Do you really mean lag between pictures or the shutter delay between
time you press the shutter button and actual exposure. The latter is
most annoying for pictures of children or pets. It seems a little better
on my A95 than it was on my A40, and people say the latest canon brood
is even better.
Dave Cohen
Old July 5th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Marian wrote:
I want to purchase a pocket sized point and shoot digital camera so it is
easy to keep in my purse. My main concern is the lag time betweet pictures.
I would like one that has a minimal delay. I also would like to spend the
least possible for what I want in a quality camera for this type. Can anyone
give me a few suggestions? So far the one I like is the Pentax Optio T10 but
I am not sure about Pentax and not thrilled with the price although I am
considering it.

Thanks

You might want to check out the Kodak C3xx series of cameras. Very
compact, with good P&S features, and low prices. The Kodak cameras will
allow you to shoot several pictures before they need to write to a flash
card, so you will VERY seldom be kept from taking pictures as fast as
you want.
Old July 5th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I am referring to the shutter delay because animals will be my main subjects.
With the camera I have (one of the first digital cameras) I have missed many
shots because of this.

Thank you Dave

Marian

Old July 5th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

We just purchased a Canon SD-600 mainly because there's an optical
viewfinder if the camera is taken in bright sunshine. Its gotten
stellar reviews, it's tiny, and the price was right. Can't go wrong.

Old July 6th 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Dave Cohen wrote:

Do you really mean lag between pictures or the shutter delay between
time you press the shutter button and actual exposure. The latter is
most annoying for pictures of children or pets. It seems a little better
on my A95 than it was on my A40, and people say the latest canon brood
is even better.
Dave Cohen

Taking pictures of animals and children can be quite a challenge, even
with the shortest of shutter delays. Generally, the newer cameras, even
P&S are quite a lot better at this than older ones. You can probably
get a good feel for the shutter lag by trying the camera in a store.
Note that low light, and autofocus both contribute to the total lag
time. I have found this to be a very rare problem with my current
camera (2 years old), but it was really bad on my first one. If you
want the lowest figures for shutter lag, you may want to consider a DSLR.
Old July 6th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have a DSLR but often times do not have it when I need it which is the
reason for a camera that can fit in my purse and take those impromptu
pictures. This compact camera will not be my primary camera but all the same
I am trying to purchase one that I will not be too disappointed in.

Mariab

Ron Hunter wrote:
I am referring to the shutter delay because animals will be my main subjects.
With the camera I have (one of the first digital cameras) I have missed many

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

Old July 7th 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ron Hunter wrote:
I am referring to the shutter delay because animals will be my main subjects.
With the camera I have (one of the first digital cameras) I have missed many

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
is even better.
Dave Cohen

Taking pictures of animals and children can be quite a challenge, even
with the shortest of shutter delays. Generally, the newer cameras, even
P&S are quite a lot better at this than older ones. You can probably
get a good feel for the shutter lag by trying the camera in a store.
Note that low light, and autofocus both contribute to the total lag
time. I have found this to be a very rare problem with my current
camera (2 years old), but it was really bad on my first one. If you
want the lowest figures for shutter lag, you may want to consider a DSLR.

Being used to a DSLR, you may have a bit of trouble finding a P&S camera
with shutter lag that doesn't annoy you. Try reading reviews to see if
the specification is mentioned, or if the reviewer mentions this as
being a problem. If it is not mentioned, then you probably will not
have a problem with it.
Old July 7th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I think that is my main problem when i look at the camera reviews for these
compact cameras. I spent yesterday researching again. My main issues is
shutter speed and good in low light. From all the reviews I read it seems
that a Cannon SD600 is about the best overall. I have to keep telling myself
this is not my main camera only a backup so to speak. Tonight I am going to
stop by a camera store to play with it.

Marian