Anyone using a Wein safe sync on a Rebel XT?

Old March 29th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blah

Default Anyone using a Wein safe sync on a Rebel XT?

Anyone using a Wein safe sync on a Rebel XT? I bought one and can't get it
to work, anyone know a trick? Thanks blah

Old March 30th 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gautam Majumdar

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 21:13:42 +0100, Blah wrote:

Anyone using a Wein safe sync on a Rebel XT? I bought one and can't get
it to work, anyone know a trick? Thanks blah

Why do you need a Wein for XT ? It has a trigger voltage limit of 250.
There are very few flash guns with higher value. In any case, what happens
if you insert it between the hot shoe and the flash ? Does the flash fire
at all ? If not, then very likely the Wein is faulty. Get it replaced.

--
gautam
Old March 31st 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Smith[_3_]

"Gautam Majumdar" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 21:13:42 +0100, Blah wrote:

Anyone using a Wein safe sync on a Rebel XT? I bought one and can't get
it to work, anyone know a trick? Thanks blah

Why do you need a Wein for XT ? It has a trigger voltage limit of 250.
There are very few flash guns with higher value. In any case, what happens
if you insert it between the hot shoe and the flash ? Does the flash fire
at all ? If not, then very likely the Wein is faulty. Get it replaced.

--

I used one until I found out I didn't need it.. worked fine except for the
"wiggle" in induced in mount.

Old April 1st 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blah

Are you sure about 250v? How can I verifly this? Wein is new and does not
seem to be working. Thanks

Old April 1st 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gisle Hannemyr

"Blah" writes:
"Gautam Majumdar" wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 21:13:42 +0100, Blah wrote:

Anyone using a Wein safe sync on a Rebel XT? I bought one and
can't get it to work, anyone know a trick? Thanks blah

Why do you need a Wein for XT? It has a trigger voltage limit of
250V. There are very few flash guns with higher value.

Are you sure about 250v? How can I verifly this?

The 250V limit quoted by Majumdar is for the PC-connector on higher
end EOS, /not/ for the hotshoe. AFAIK, the Rebel XT doesn't have a
PC-connector, and Canon has never publicly stated what the safe limit
for its hotshoe is, but 250V is generally considered unsafe.

For more on this, see:
http://hannemyr.com/photo/flash.html#tv
Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z
Old April 1st 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Blah wrote:
Anyone using a Wein safe sync on a Rebel XT? I bought one and can't get it
to work, anyone know a trick? Thanks blah

What is the voltage from the sync on the flashes? (You can measure this
with a voltmeter (DC), but you need a steady hand.

What does the Rebel XT manual say for sync voltage?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old April 1st 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Blah wrote:
Do I measure from the sunc cord and trigger with the test button?

Measure at the camera end of the cord.

The voltage is there all of the time, so no need to hit the test button.
(The camera shutter "shorts" the circuit to triger the flash).

You need steady hands and likely you will trigger the flash accidently.
Don't worry about it. ... do point the flash away from your face.

Do not touch (skin) the metal parts of both probes as the voltage may be
very high (although most monolights have pretty low sync voltage, some
go into the hundreds of volts).

Squeeze one of the probes against the outside "shield" with thumb and
forefinger. Avoid touching any other metal part with your skin! Maybe
you can do the squeezing with a clamp or clothespin...

Gently, accurately probe the center pin. It may be easier to have
someone read the voltage for you while you probe. Don't worry about +ve
or -ve voltage indication.

If it's low (less than 7 volts) then you do not need the safe sync at
all. Read the camera manual to find the safe voltage level.

Don't top post

Cheers,
Alan

Old April 1st 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

Blah wrote:
Anyone using a Wein safe sync on a Rebel XT? I bought one and can't get it
to work, anyone know a trick? Thanks blah

What is the voltage from the sync on the flashes? (You can measure this
with a voltmeter (DC), but you need a steady hand.

What does the Rebel XT manual say for sync voltage?

Doesn't specify, at least that I can find.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old April 1st 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

The 250V limit quoted by Majumdar is for the PC-connector on higher
end EOS, /not/ for the hotshoe. AFAIK, the Rebel XT doesn't have a
PC-connector, and Canon has never publicly stated what the safe limit
for its hotshoe is, but 250V is generally considered unsafe.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-f...2.html#trigger
claims:
- 6 Volts max on the hot shoe with most EOS cameras, says
Canon.
- Damage to the circuits can be cumulative and sublte, so
a 'it works' test is no guarantee nothing's pitting
connectors etc.

and reagarding the PC connector
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html#pc
says:
- EOS cameras which can handle up to 250 volt flash
units:
EOS 1D, 1Ds mark II, 1D mark II, 20D, 20Da, 5D,
350D/Digital Rebel XT/Kiss N Digital, 30D, EOS
400D/Rebel XTi Digital/Kiss X Digital.

You may also find
http://www.geo.tu-freiberg.de/docs/e...flash.html#q21
of interest, though it's more than a decade old by now.

-Wolfgang