[SI] Intetesting is up!

Old September 8th 09, 03:02 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Don Stauffer

Default [SI] Intetesting is up!

Bowser wrote:
All the interesting shots have been posted he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/interesting

Why didn't you submit?

If you know that I didn't submit, you know that not all the interesting
shots are on the site :-)

Actually, why should someone submit shots to a photo site?
Old September 8th 09, 03:59 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tim Conway[_2_]

Default Intetesting is up!

"Annika1980" wrote in message
On Sep 8, 12:52 am, tony cooper wrote:

I guess you could say that this mandate simply didn't interest me.

We get the message, Bret. If you can't pick the mandate, you don't
play.
--

I've played in plenty that I didn't pick, more than you in fact.
I'm simply suggesting that one reason the Shoot-In has lost it's

IOW, if the mandate is lame and unimaginative the photos submitted
probably will be as well.
Witness the current crop of mostly unimaginative dreck.
C'mon people, airplane engines, bulldozers and libraries? Geez!

I did like Helen's pic as well as BobCoe1, Bowser2, and Calvin
Sambrook's shot.
Tim Conway's HDR attempt made me wanna puke., however.

It was my best effort at that and I got paid for it, so I'm relatively
happy.
Take care of yourself, there's a lot of that flu goin' around.

Old September 8th 09, 05:51 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

On Sep 7, 5:03 pm, "Bowser" wrote:
All the interesting shots have been posted he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/interesting

Why didn't you submit?

Bowser,
I think the gallery would be more viewable if you limited the main
page to just 4 columns instead of 5. The 5th column doesn't evven
show up on my screen unless I scroll over.
This is adjustable by editing the Root Gallery settings.

I'll give it a look. And buy a bigger monitor, ferchrissake. Like the HP
2475.

Now suggest a mandate. Something imaginative.

Old September 8th 09, 05:55 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tim Conway[_2_]

On Sep 8, 10:59 am, "Tim Conway" wrote:

Tim Conway's HDR attempt made me wanna puke., however.

It was my best effort at that and I got paid for it, so I'm relatively
happy.

You got paid for that?
My first reaction upon seeing that pic was "HDR ... very
unnatural .... BLECH!"
Now that I look at it more closely I see that it isn't far from being
an acceptable shot.
I think it is the blue shadows that are putting me off. There is also
some minor haloing on the spires, but if you desaturate and darken the
shadows and slightly darken the side of the building that should be
shaded I think it would look a lot more natural.

I think that a good HDR shot is one where you can't really tell at
first glance that it's an HDR shot.
Your shot screamed, "HDR." By making a few adjustments, it could be
saved.

Thanks, Bret. It really was my first attempt. I'm very new at that.

Old September 8th 09, 06:27 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 06:59:59 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
wrote:

On Sep 8, 12:52*am, tony cooper wrote:

I guess you could say that this mandate simply didn't interest me.

We get the message, Bret. *If you can't pick the mandate, you don't
play. *
--

I've played in plenty that I didn't pick, more than you in fact.

I've posted images in every SI that has been held since the SI was
re-instated. I haven't been reading the newsgroup as long as you
have.

I'm simply suggesting that one reason the Shoot-In has lost it's
luster (at least for me) is because of unimaginative mandates. Now
this is where you give me your speech about how a real photographer
can still go out and produce something worthwhile with even a poorly
chosen mandate.

No, you don't get that speech. You get the "Participate or STFU"
speech. There are many readers of the newsgroup that do not choose to
enter the SI, but only a few whiners who feel the rest of care about
their opinion of why they don't participate.

And I do, on a daily basis. I simply don't choose to
wait until the mandate to post them.

So why not choose to just go about your business taking shots that
interest you, posting them, and ignoring the SI?

Really, Bret, you come across as a talented photographer, a person
with a good eye for what is photographable, and a childishly petulant
person who has to have things his way. I think you post your
photographs independently because you are afraid that - as part of a
group - they will not receive the special attention that you want.

I don't have a problem with
going outside my normal boundaries and shooting shots specifically for
the mandate, like I did for the "Filters" one.

I, for one, feel blessed by that. Not impressed, though, since I
don't remember what you entered. It, or they, didn't make an
impression.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 8th 09, 06:43 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH [email protected]

Bowser wrote:

Now suggest a mandate. Something imaginative.

I suggest "sadness is high key, happiness low key"

Doug McDonald
Old September 8th 09, 07:26 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Lunabella

"mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH wrote:
Bowser wrote:

Now suggest a mandate. Something imaginative.

I suggest "sadness is high key, happiness low key"

Doug McDonald

I think that interesting imaginative mandates would be challenging to
come up with. I would broadly group the prior mandates into "concept"
type, moods, feelings, things like "loss". And "technical", which would
be any that dictated specific subject matter and/or technique. The
latter seem less difficult, the former much more difficult to do well
but for me at least, much more interesting and fun.
Old September 8th 09, 07:49 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

On Sep 8, 12:51 pm, "Bowser" wrote:

I'll give it a look. And buy a bigger monitor, ferchrissake. Like the HP
2475.

It is more a resolution issue. My screen res is 1162x864, probably
not much different from most other people's.

Now suggest a mandate. Something imaginative.

After talking about Tim's pic I was gonna suggest HDR, but that might
go against the spirit of the game by submitting manipulated photos.
So how about "Light & Dark" or as they say in the biz, "High Key / Low
Key?" Photos should have either light or dark scenes or both. That
would include (and encourage) HDR photos, but would also allow those
without post-processing capabilities to submit.
Perhaps this has already been done in past mandates, I can't remember.
This is all off the top of my head, so I can probably think of
something better with a little more time.

Photography is all about Light, after all, so why not encourage people
to explore the use of it?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/light

What would you suggest beyond that?

Old September 8th 09, 08:32 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 12:02:11 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
wrote:

On Sep 8, 2:49*pm, "Bowser" wrote:

Photography is all about Light, after all, so why not encourage people
to explore the use of it?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/light

What would you suggest beyond that?

How about exploring the use of light as it falls on ... say,
Cheerleaders! Or Hummingbirds.

How about "Flash?" Has that one been done?

Currently on another forum they are running one called "Straight out
of the Camera' where the pics must be straight from the camera with no
re-sizing, editing, etc.

That's the mandate for the just-started DGrin "Challenges". You want
this as a mandate so you can get ideas from all those submitted?

(There's no rule against re-sizing. Just no cropping.)

Something like this might not be a bad idea,
but you'd have to allow for re-sizing to get within the normal SI
mandate guidelines.

Another interesting one is "A Different Perspective."

That's mandate for the just-over DGrin "Challenges". You want this as
a mandate so you can get ideas from all those already submitted?

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Or how about "Curves?"

That was the mandate for my local camera club's competition a couple
of months ago.

Not so easy, picking fresh mandates, is it? Easy to bitch about what
other people choose, but not so easy to come up with one yourself.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 8th 09, 08:37 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:43:19 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
wrote:

On Sep 8, 1:27*pm, tony cooper wrote:
Really, Bret, you come across as a talented photographer, a person
with a good eye for what is photographable, and a childishly petulant
person who has to have things his way. *I think you post your
photographs independently because you are afraid that - as part of a
group - they will not receive the special attention that you want.

If I had to have things my way I'd still be running the SI.

When Bowser gets tired of it, I'd vote for you. Just to shut up the
whining, if nothing else.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida