Adapters for many lenses to micro-4/3

Old September 12th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Adapters for many lenses to micro-4/3

Adapts Nikon, Canon, Minolta/Sony, Pentax, etc. lenses to the u4/3 bodies.

See: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09091101novoflex.asp

Claims aperture-priority-auto-exp is possible (as well as stop down
metering).

Depending on where u4/3 goes (Oly/Panasonic) could be a viable "light
kit" solution (at least with the smaller lenses) or perhaps as a light
backup.
Old September 12th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:

Adapts Nikon, Canon, Minolta/Sony, Pentax, etc. lenses to the u4/3 bodies.

See: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09091101novoflex.asp

Claims aperture-priority-auto-exp is possible (as well as stop down
metering).

What that means is only stop down metering: no focusing wide open with
automatic stop-down at taking time. Only works if the lens has an
aperture ring. There is an adapter now for Nikon to Canon that includes
an aperture adjustment slider but I believe it covers the full range in
about a half inch and there's no way to see exactly what number is being
applied. Most new Nikon lenses and all EOS Canon lenses lack an aperture
ring. One could use the Nikon to Canon adapter then use a Novoflex Canon
to mu4/3 to function but the Canon lenses would all be wither wide open
or fully stopped down... I'm not sure which way. It's also possible to
tape the tab open before mounting for some of these.

Depending on where u4/3 goes (Oly/Panasonic) could be a viable "light
kit" solution (at least with the smaller lenses) or perhaps as a light
backup.

Except everything looks twice as long as designed, or for 'digital'
lenses, it's another 1.5x crop factor so you'd want an Oly/Panny wide
angle lens. And the older Oly lenses are recommended to only use stopped
down somewhat on 4/3 sensors... Oly has a chart with the recommendations
on their web site. I guess this is just because of the greater resolving
power which magnifies more than they were designed for.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old September 13th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Adapts Nikon, Canon, Minolta/Sony, Pentax, etc. lenses to the u4/3 bodies.

See: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09091101novoflex.asp

Claims aperture-priority-auto-exp is possible (as well as stop down
metering).

Depending on where u4/3 goes (Oly/Panasonic) could be a viable "light kit"
solution (at least with the smaller lenses) or perhaps as a light backup.

Quite seriously every manufacturer has a reasonable compact D-SLR that their
lenses will fit natively and use all features why in Dogs name would you buy
an overpriced slightly more compact body that performs poorly and handles
even more poorly just because you can?? It reminds me of the review of the
EP-1 on DP Review "absolutelty the worst handling camera evr with poor
results" but you guessed it, "Highly Recommended".

Old September 14th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Pete D wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Adapts Nikon, Canon, Minolta/Sony, Pentax, etc. lenses to the u4/3 bodies.

See: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09091101novoflex.asp

Claims aperture-priority-auto-exp is possible (as well as stop down
metering).

Depending on where u4/3 goes (Oly/Panasonic) could be a viable "light kit"
solution (at least with the smaller lenses) or perhaps as a light backup.

Quite seriously every manufacturer has a reasonable compact D-SLR that their
lenses will fit natively and use all features why in Dogs name would you buy
an overpriced slightly more compact body that performs poorly and handles
even more poorly just because you can?? It reminds me of the review of the
EP-1 on DP Review "absolutelty the worst handling camera evr with poor
results" but you guessed it, "Highly Recommended".

I put this up to:

1. Get opinions like yours (though I might not agree totally: have you
looked at the Panasonic GF-1, for example).

2. Put up something that is a far sight better than the endless churn of
the same opinions from the OT chatter that has clogged this NG of late.

3. Nothing from Sony is nearly as compact/light as the GF1. No mirror
slap. Possibly a faster shutter release. Etc.

I'm no big fan of 4/3 (as my past statements clearly show), but this
could make for a very light/compact kit.

So, faith in Dog notwithstanding, it is a viable option.