[SI] Mandate Suggestion

Old September 11th 09, 02:38 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Photography 101

Default [SI] Mandate Suggestion

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:23:11 -0700, "Frank ess" wrote:

Photography 101 wrote:

Compliments --- is that the word he meant to use?

Thanks for displaying your lack of intellect. If you were able to fully
embrace the meaning of "compliments" you wouldn't even ask that. Go post on
any Flickr group. They most surely await your snapshooter's reach and
wisdom.

Old September 11th 09, 03:15 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:56:00 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:
: How about "best of the month" where you submit your best three shots of the
: past 30 days, no restrictions on subject matter? Only rule: no archive
: shots. All pics must have been taken in the 30 day period.
:
: Let the whining begin...

If you're going to enforce a "no archives" rule, I think 30 days is too short.
Some of us still work full-time, and photo shoots can be hard to work into our
schedules. I suspect that one reason we got a pretty good showing this month
is that we had more time.

Note that allowing more time doesn't have to mean fewer SIs. You could, for
example, allow six or eight weeks but have some overlap, so that the due dates
are still a month apart.

That said, I was asked to photograph the new library in the city for which I
work for a brochure they're putting out. So I went out last Friday and got a
shot that's not half bad if I do say so. So if you do a "favorite of the
month" this time, I'm in! ;^)

Bob
Old September 11th 09, 03:23 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:51:37 -0500, Photography 101 wrote:
: On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:56:00 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:
:
: How about "best of the month" where you submit your best three shots of the
: past 30 days, no restrictions on subject matter? Only rule: no archive
: shots. All pics must have been taken in the 30 day period.
:
: Let the whining begin...
:
: I'm starting to see a clear pattern here. They are just as uncreative with
: their "mandates" as they are with their photography. It's starting to make
: sense, why their beginner's snapshots are so pathetically boring. They
: themselves are boring and common. This is why none of their photography
: will ever be worth seeing. Just as an author cannot write about life unless
: he's lived it, a "photographer" will never capture worthwhile images unless
: he's truly experienced and seen life. Their minds and visions are just as
: empty and pointless as their basement-lived lives. Clearly reflected in
: their SI snapshots.
:
: Here's a few very simple ones that none of you have tried yet, in any of
: your photography:
:
: Space
: Contrasts
: Compliments
:
: Topics that should be in any Photography 101 course.
:
: Here's a few other simple ones, for simple minds:
:
: Fences
: Minimalism
: Fire
: Pointillism
: Hope/Hopelessness
: Survival
: Glass Houses
: Steps
: Camouflage
: Vertical/Horizontal
: Power
: Freedom
: Suffer
: Evolution
: Stagnant
: Dynamic Symmetry
: Limits
: Beginnings
: Rush
: Trapped
: Impact
: ...
:
: That should keep you busy for two more years.
:
: I could go on all day, all week, all lifelong, suggesting worthwhile
: topics. That's what a creative mind does, that's why a creative mind can do
: exceptional photography. No matter what camera is in the hands of that
: mind, no matter what he happens to be seeing at that moment in time.
: "Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what
: nobody has thought." - Albert von Szent-Gyorgyi. It is only with a
: creative and discovering mind will you ever be a worthwhile photographer.
: You'll never be able to buy a camera with those features included, no
: matter how much money that you throw at it. Much to your beginner's dismay.
:
: But since I have no intention of ever entering any photos to entertain
: these snapshooting beginners, nor let them learn from me for free, any
: further input is just casting more pearls before swine. As they also say,
: you can't make a silk-purse out of a sow's ear. Banal but true.
:
: There you go, one more free topic, Pearls Before Swine.

Yeah, right. There's one constant that permeates these newsgroups: Even if you
don't read a word of their blather, you can identify the pompous asses by
their anonymity and their minimal photographic productivity.

Bob
Old September 11th 09, 04:06 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

wrote:

Photography 101 wrote:

Compliments --- is that the word he meant to use?

Well, is it, or not? It must be, eh?

Isn't it a display of self-loathing to alter the content of quotations
from others' posts?

Thanks for displaying your lack of intellect. If you were able to
fully embrace the meaning of "compliments" you wouldn't even ask
that. Go post on any Flickr group. They most surely await your
snapshooter's reach and wisdom.

You're welcome.

Isn't it against the rules to alter the location of the goal posts
after the game has begun?

Are Flickr groups another place you get to display your lack of
interest in anything beyond the sound of your own voice? See you
there!

--
Frank ess

Old September 11th 09, 10:49 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

"Photography 101" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent! What we really need is someone like you who can post some of
their truly creative work and teach us all the basics of photography. Thank
God you're here! Please post your work, publish the link, and we'll all
benefit from your superior talent and intelligence.

Here's a few very simple ones that none of you have tried yet, in any of
your photography:

Space
Contrasts
Compliments

Topics that should be in any Photography 101 course.

Here's a few other simple ones, for simple minds:

Again, excellent! You must have a few examples of these simple mandates.
Post the links! We'd all love to see you talent on display. Photographic
talent, that is. I have no doubt that someone of your highly developed
skills and talent can produce great shots of these simple mandates in a
matter of hours. Please, for all our sake, provide links to your shots. God
knows we all need to gape in awe at your work. Hey! Here's an idea! Send me
some shots for the next mandate, whatever it is, and we can compare,
directly, our simple-minded snapshots to your True Works of Art. What do you
say?

Fences
Minimalism
Fire
Pointillism
Hope/Hopelessness
Survival
Glass Houses
Steps
Camouflage
Vertical/Horizontal
Power
Freedom
Suffer
Evolution
Stagnant
Dynamic Symmetry
Limits
Beginnings
Rush
Trapped
Impact

That should keep you busy for two more years.

I could go on all day, all week, snip

On that subject there is no argument.

Old September 11th 09, 11:02 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

: Photography 101 wrote:
:
: Compliments --- is that the word he meant to use?
:
:
: Thanks for displaying your lack of intellect. If you were able to fully
: embrace the meaning of "compliments" you wouldn't even ask that. Go post
: on any Flickr group. They most surely await your snapshooter's reach and
: wisdom.

Frank, you may be wasting your time. I don't believe this fathead knows that
the other meaning of that word has a different spelling.

Bob
Old September 13th 09, 05:49 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default Mandate Suggestion

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:36:35 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
wrote:
: On Sep 10, 10:15*pm, Robert Coe wrote:
:
: If you're going to enforce a "no archives" rule, I think 30 days is too
: short. Some of us still work full-time, and photo shoots can be hard to
: work into our schedules. I suspect that one reason we got a pretty good
: showing this month is that we had more time.
:
: C'mon now! I do most of my shooting during my lunch hour. So how
: hard is it to find a few minutes here and there to take a few pics?

Don't take this the wrong way, but the area that I consider within range for
my photo shoots is a bit larger than metropolitan Chattanooga. Anyway, I
usually eat lunch at my desk; and even if I didn't, I rarely drive to work. So
I'd have to confine my excursions to places I could get to and back from the
Central Square subway station.

Even you must have that problem occasionally. You once showed us a picture you
took from the summit of Lookout Mountain. Can you get up there and back during
your lunch hour?

: I support the "Favorites" suggestion. Everyone who takes any pics this
: month will have some favorites so it should be an easy one to shoot for.
: Heck, I might even submit one or two.

Jeez, you think? We'll be waiting with bated breath!

Bob