[SI] New interesting pix added to the gallery

Old September 9th 09, 11:04 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

Default [SI] New interesting pix added to the gallery

Three shots arrived a little after the bell, but the Shoot-In Dictator has
allowed them to be posted. They're he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/interesting

Now the critics can begin their in-depth analysis anew!

Old September 9th 09, 11:19 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-09-09 15:04:42 -0700, "Bowser" said:

Three shots arrived a little after the bell, but the Shoot-In Dictator
has allowed them to be posted. They're he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/interesting

Now the critics can begin their in-depth analysis anew!

Um, er, interesting.

I see Paul took a road trip.

Savageduck

Old September 9th 09, 11:34 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Calvin Sambrook

"Bowser" wrote in message
. com...
Three shots arrived a little after the bell, but the Shoot-In Dictator has
allowed them to be posted. They're he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/interesting

Now the critics can begin their in-depth analysis anew!

Oh goodie, more...

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-08-baca_0036228.jpg: Wow! worth waiting for.
The detail in the moss is terrific and the composition is too. I
particularly like the balance between the darker moss and the white/grey
whatever (ice?) on the right. The lighting works to add interest too.

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-13-shiprock_18_PBF7755.jpg: I'm not so sure
about this, I think I can see what's intended but somehow it just doesn't
quite work for me. Both the camera angle and the inclusion of that lump of
rock seem intended to create tension and make the viewer uneasy which they
certainly do. On the other hand the dynamic range works to emphasise the
sky and the rock and the ground but depress the subjects and in particular
their faces which means I continually find my attention going to the rock in
the middle. Maybe playing with the mid-tone to move it up a bit would help,
even just a little might make all the difference and tip this over the edge
so it works.
Something else feels wrong too and I'm struggling to identify it, is this a
matte of more than one original? I ask because the shadows seem to conflict,
something about his shirt maybe.

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-15-area-51_0039518.jpg: Very clever, this
works surprisingly well but why are there no blacks. Is this road really
light grey or was that a deliberate choice on your part? Either way it
makes the whole thing look a little washed out to me which kind of
emphasises the heat I suppose.

Old September 11th 09, 05:27 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
Bowser wrote

Three shots arrived a little after the bell, but the Shoot-In Dictator
has allowed them to be posted. They're he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/interesting

Thanks, two months in a row late for me
holding head in shame

Now the critics can begin their in-depth analysis anew!

Oh goodie, more...

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-08-baca_0036228.jpg: Wow! worth waiting
for. The detail in the moss is terrific and the composition is too. I
particularly like the balance between the darker moss and the white/grey
whatever (ice?) on the right. The lighting works to add interest too.

I think that's willow roots, maybe aspen. Tilt/shift lens gimmick but
used appropriately I hope. I spent quite a while rolling around on my
belly finding a good angle.

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-13-shiprock_18_PBF7755.jpg: I'm not so
sure about this, I think I can see what's intended but somehow it just
doesn't quite work for me. Both the camera angle and the inclusion of
that lump of rock seem intended to create tension and make the viewer
uneasy which they certainly do. On the other hand the dynamic range
works to emphasise the sky and the rock and the ground but depress the
subjects and in particular their faces which means I continually find my
attention going to the rock in the middle. Maybe playing with the
mid-tone to move it up a bit would help, even just a little might make
all the difference and tip this over the edge so it works.
Something else feels wrong too and I'm struggling to identify it, is
this a matte of more than one original? I ask because the shadows seem
to conflict, something about his shirt maybe.

It does have a disturbing message though I didn't quite realize that at
the time. This is a Navajo couple I ran into in New Mexico, I ended up
putting my time lapse clips from the trip to one of her compositions
about the 'Long Walk':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_pfx1Mfqe0&
....a history passed down by their people about the battle for their
land, which they won in the end after much suffering. The rock is
important and why they were there and I was there so while I had not
intended to create the tension you describe, I'm alright with it, I
think. I should have tried some with a bit of fill flash though, thanks
for the honest reaction. Some of the other shots have a less awkward
relationship with the rock but this one showed their character well and
I think the tension felt right subconsciously.

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-15-area-51_0039518.jpg: Very clever,
this works surprisingly well but why are there no blacks. Is this road
really light grey or was that a deliberate choice on your part? Either
way it makes the whole thing look a little washed out to me which kind
of emphasises the heat I suppose.

That one had the exposure at -0.76 in Lightroom. I believe it was the
old Tokina 300mm f/2.8 with 1.4x teleconverter at 420mm f/4, maybe not
as contrasty as would be ideal. At full resolution it is a mess of heat
wave blur:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...48837/sizes/o/
....although the temperature was actually quite mild. I ran out of gas
just west of Area 51 and it took 5-1/2 hours for AAA to come rescue but
I was at a rest stop with bathroom & shade trees and there was a
peculiarly pleasant cool breeze that August day.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net