Nikon D70 Telephoto Zoom Lens Recommendation

Old April 5th 05, 02:49 AM
Clyde Torres

Default Nikon D70 Telephoto Zoom Lens Recommendation

Okay, folks, my sister-in-law has politely asked me to ship her a zoom lens
in the range of 70-200 for the Nikon D70 that she currently has in Brazil.
Choosing B&H Photo as a possible vendor, I have located the following
lenses:

Zoom Telephoto 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 AIS Manual Focus Lens, Imported,
$114.95
Zoom Telephoto 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 AIS Manual Focus Lens, USA, $139.95
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF Autofocus
Lens, Imported, $1,449.95
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF Autofocus
Lens, USA, $1,599.95, after rebate $1,449.95
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF Autofocus
Lens, Light Grey, Imported $1,469.95 (back ordered)
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF Autofocus
Lens, Light Grey, USA $1,649.95 (back ordered)
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Autofocus Lens,
Imported, $1,229.95
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Atofocus Lens,
USA, $1,429.95, after rebate $1,329.95
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Autofocus Lens,
black, Imported, out of stock, $99.95
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Autofocus Lens,
black, USA, $129.95
Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED Autofocus Lens,
Imported, $279.95
Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED Autofocus Lens, USA,
$299.95, after rebate $249.95
Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Autofocus Lens,
Imported, $799.95
Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Autofocus Lens, USA,
$899.95, after rebate $799.95

Can a Nikon expert please tell me the relative merits of these lenses as
compared to one another? I am doing my own research, but I'd like to hear
some real world opinions on these lenses. In particular, I would like to
know why a light grey lens commands more money and is back ordered than the
same lens in black, or is it really the same lens? What are the G lenses?
I owned the D70 but gave it to my relative right before she left for Brazil
on an assignment; therefore, I didn't get to read the owner's manual to see
what the D70 is compatible with.

When I first talked to her about this, she wanted the Telephoto AF Micro
Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D lens, but after I mentioned the 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED
IF black lens, she decided that it would be a more versatile lens and agreed
with me.

What do you experts think?

Thanks in advance.

Clyde Torres