Printing mobile phone camera photos?

Old April 9th 05, 04:00 PM

Default Printing mobile phone camera photos?

Hi!

While ago I bought Nokia 6600 Smartphone which has a VGA resolution
camera. As I basically carry it where ever I go, I have been taking
quite a collection of photos. The problem however is that printing out
the 640x480 resolution photos is quite useless, the outcome is poor.

One day I thought that it could be fairly easy to use any photo/image
editing software to combine four VGA photos to one image and print it
out. Outcome would be a index-print style picture with four small
photos in one photo printout. I did few tryouts and the result looked
amazingly good. One could even think about cutting out the small
photos...

Creating these images, drawing white borders etc.. took me few minutes
for each image. I wanted some manner to automate this process and well,
the outcome is a web-page called http://www.smartpics.net . You can
enter the site, register and start to create your own images, which I
call Smartpics.

As I published the site just few days ago, it would be nice to get a
bit of feedback from you guys. All the critics would be appreciated,

Yours Faithfully,

Jouni Kuisma

P.S I am still running some testing especially for browser
compatibility, so please be patient if you find some errors....

Old April 9th 05, 05:00 PM
Hannah

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi!

While ago I bought Nokia 6600 Smartphone which has a VGA resolution
camera. As I basically carry it where ever I go, I have been taking
quite a collection of photos. The problem however is that printing out
the 640x480 resolution photos is quite useless, the outcome is poor.

Do people really expect anything worthwhile from camera phones? Visually,
there may be enough clues to remember what the scene was, but then when
printed???
It amazes me when I'm out somewhere with my 16+ megapixel beast seeing
people taking pix of the same scene with a telephone!? What can they really
expect out of this exercise?

H.

Old April 9th 05, 05:25 PM
David J Taylor

Hannah wrote:
[]
It amazes me when I'm out somewhere with my 16+ megapixel beast seeing
people taking pix of the same scene with a telephone!? What can they
really expect out of this exercise?

Pictures good enough for display on TV.

David

Old April 9th 05, 06:02 PM
jonkke

The good point about phone cameras is that it's basically always with
you... Naturally the quality of the photos with your "beast" camera is
on totally different level, but I can hardly imagine that one fitting
into a handbag? It could I guess, but I believe you get my point. Both
mentioned types of cameras have their distinct uses, don't you think
so?

And the point is actually just what you asked: I would like to expect
something wortwhile from my phonecam. With it's VGA resolution, the use
of the photos is very limited, veeery limited. The point of the website
i mentioned (http://www.smartpics.net)was to bring out into a
discussion one possible way to print out photos taken with mobile phone
cameras. For this, the resolution is sufficient and printouts look very
nice. The whole point is, like you know if you checked the site, is
that when printed out into 10x15cm paper, each of four photos occupies
5x7.5cm.

Haven't anybody actually ever tried to print out their camphone photos
in this manner? (whatever camera / resolution...)

Jouni

Old April 9th 05, 07:05 PM
leo

[...]

you can capture a thief by taking a picture of the license plate, for
instant. There are many uses, but I'd prefer to get one with at least
2MP and not too pricey.