Wisner 4x5 (Was ..best outfit for starting out)

Old January 25th 04, 10:35 AM
juanito

Default Wisner 4x5 (Was ..best outfit for starting out)

First off, many thanks to those who took the time to respond to my
original post earlier this month. Now, to build on what I have
learned so far in this ng and elsewhere.

I am primarily interested in shooting landscapes, a la Dykinga and
Muench. And of course, I want everything to be in focus, from
foreground objects at 10 feet to the mountains in the background.
Think of a yucca at White Sands!

I frequently backpack to my favorite sites, eg Coyote Buttes in
Northern AZ

I want to be able to output crisp images at least 20 x 20 and up to
the lightjet or epson 9600.

It seems, therefore, that I need something lighweight enough to haul
in on 5-10 mile hikes, and with sufficient movements to keep that
foreground yucca in crisp focus while the rippled dunes in the mid
distance and Black Top Mountain in the far distance are also in focus.

So, I am seriously considering a Wisner 4x5 , with a lens like the
240MM APO Symmar. (These cameras do not seem very plentiful used,
however.)

My questions a

1) What do you all think of this choice, and
2) Where should I search to find this camera used?

Thanks again,

Jack Arnold

Old January 25th 04, 04:42 PM
Largformat

Subject: Wisner 4x5 (Was ..best outfit for
starting out)
From: juanito
Date: 1/25/2004 2:35 AM Mountain Standard Time
[...]

Please go back and re-read Getting Started in Large Format that is on our web
site in the free articles section. It doesn't seem, from the questions you keep
asking, that you have thought much about that article. Given the 35mm lens you
use on your 35mm camera the choice of a 240 on a 4x5 does not make any sense.
Also, read Dykinga's book Large Format Narture Photography if you want to know
how he works.

Now, here are some questions for you

which Wisner model - there are several in the 4x5 format.

Why the 240mm lens - that is about the same as an 85 on a 35mm camera

For the work you are telling us you want to do the movements that are critical
for you are front and rear tilt. Do you know how and why these work?

Muench uses a 75mm on his 4x5 a great deal to force that near/far perspective.
This is about the same as a 24 on a 35mm camera.

IMHO you seem to be in a big hurry. I would suggest the following

take some time and relax

do the reading I am suggesting

come to the View Camera conference in April in Monterey, CA. (the trade show is
free and you do not even have to pre-register!!!). Here you can see new and
used cameras firsthand, play with them and ask questions.

Try and find a workshop where you can borrow a camera and get some first hand
experience.

Good Luck

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com
Old January 25th 04, 04:47 PM
Peter De Smidt

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:35:09 -0700, juanito
wrote:

I frequently backpack to my favorite sites, eg Coyote Buttes in
Northern AZ

One camera that excells for backpacking use is a Toho FC45x. I have
one and am quite pleased with it. I've taken it backpacking on Isle
Royale and other places. Here's a very good review:
http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

You can buy them at www.badgergraphic.com

Regards,
Peter De Smidt
Old January 25th 04, 04:57 PM
Steve Hamley

juanito wrote in message . ..
[...]

Jack,

Seems like a reasonable outfit, but Dykinga uses an Arca and Muench a
Linhof Technika IIRC. For a lightweight outfit, Dykinga uses a Wista
DX. The 240 Symmar will be great but is a big chunk of glass. For
hiking, I'd consider a Fuji 240A or a 240 G-Claron.

There are a couple of Wisner 4x5s on FeeBay now. Also Midwest Photo
Supply has a couple of used Wisners and a demo Ebony RW45 in addition
to the new cameras - also a new Fuji 240 A. you can't go wrong at
Midwest. You could also call Quality Camera in Atlanta.

Thanks!

Steve
Old January 25th 04, 10:04 PM
juanito

Thanks for the advice, all, especially pertaining to take my time and
learn! Just eager to get started, I guess.

--jack
Old January 25th 04, 10:06 PM
Jean-David Beyer

juanito wrote (in part):

I am primarily interested in shooting landscapes, a la Dykinga and
Muench. And of course, I want everything to be in focus, from
foreground objects at 10 feet to the mountains in the background.
Think of a yucca at White Sands!

I want to be able to output crisp images at least 20 x 20 and up to
the lightjet or epson 9600.

It seems, therefore, that I need something lighweight enough to haul
in on 5-10 mile hikes, and with sufficient movements to keep that
foreground yucca in crisp focus while the rippled dunes in the mid
distance and Black Top Mountain in the far distance are also in
focus.

So, I am seriously considering a Wisner 4x5 , with a lens like the
240MM APO Symmar. (These cameras do not seem very plentiful used,
however.)

I have a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and it will not come onto the used
market until I die, so you may have to wait another 35 years or so. I
have seen these cameras offered for sale used, but if most owners feel
as I do, they are probably not inclined to sell unless to upgrade to
another model.

My questions a

1) What do you all think of this choice,

I carry mine in a Tamrak backpack that has been discontinued. It is
probably the heaviest of the cameras of that general design around, but
in return for the weight, I find I get rigidity which I find helpful. If
you want light weight, Ron Wisner makes some lighter weight ones.

You may find you do not need the rear rise and rear axis tilt. If that
is the case, the Traditional model weighs a little less and costs a
little less.

When I do landscape with it, I find I do not use 240mm all that much,
but YMMV. I tend to use a lot of focal lengths, and to save weight, I
carry a 90mm f/8 SuperAngulon and a Wisner Convertable Plasmat Set that
has 5 cells that you can use in pairs or singly giving focal lengths:

152, 182, 197, 212, 227, 242, and 258mm when using pairs of cells, and
has single cells of 250mm, 350mm, 400mm and 450mm (for the 4x5 set).
Even if I could afford a set of Symmar-Ss, I would have trouble carrying
them. I do not usually use single cells, but I have done it.

and 2) Where should I search
to find this camera used?

I would try places like Lens&Repro Equipment Corp in NYC, maybe Calumet,
and the place in New Mexico (cannot remember the name). Probably one in
SanFrancisco too.

Thanks again,

Jack Arnold

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 3:55pm up 19 days, 3:20, 2 users, load average: 4.05, 4.00, 4.00

Old January 26th 04, 06:15 PM
Ted Harris

There are as many former Wisner users who would not touch the product as there
are those taht are happy. In fairness to the camera, most of the unhappy folk
are unhappy with Wisner service not the equipment.
Ted Harris
Resource Strategy
Henniker, New Hampshire
Old January 28th 04, 01:15 AM
Largformat

I take it the trade show is the same on Saturday and
Sunday?

yes, same both days

steve simmons

the conference program is on our web site

www.viewcamera.com