ARCHIVAL CDs - 300 YEARS LIFE!

Old August 18th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ColinD

Default ARCHIVAL CDs - 300 YEARS LIFE!

Well, the CD versus negative storage longevity arguments are now put to
rest. Kodak have announced their new Gold Preservation CDs and DVDs.

Using pure gold reflective layers, phthalocyanine dye, and triple-layer
protection, they say the useful life of a CD is 300 years, and the DVDs
80 - 100 years.

Check:

http://www.kmpmedia.com/kodak-gold.html

Colin D.

Old August 18th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
TheDaveŠ

ColinD wrote:
Well, the CD versus negative storage longevity arguments are now put
to rest. Kodak have announced their new Gold Preservation CDs and
DVDs.

Using pure gold reflective layers, phthalocyanine dye, and
triple-layer protection, they say the useful life of a CD is 300
years, and the DVDs 80 - 100 years.

Of course, they know, because they've had some actually last that
long...

;-)
Old August 18th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Antoine Dese

TheDaveŠ wrote:

Using pure gold reflective layers, phthalocyanine dye, and
triple-layer protection, they say the useful life of a CD is 300
years, and the DVDs 80 - 100 years.

Of course, they know, because they've had some actually last that
long...

;-)

And of course, in the year 2306, there will be CD drives to read these
discs!
Old August 18th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
William Graham

"TheDaveŠ" wrote in message
ColinD wrote:
Well, the CD versus negative storage longevity arguments are now put
to rest. Kodak have announced their new Gold Preservation CDs and
DVDs.

Using pure gold reflective layers, phthalocyanine dye, and
triple-layer protection, they say the useful life of a CD is 300
years, and the DVDs 80 - 100 years.

Of course, they know, because they've had some actually last that
long...

;-)

Yes. I was going to say......I'll let you know what I think around
2306.........

Old August 18th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Antoine Dese wrote:
TheDaveŠ wrote:

Using pure gold reflective layers, phthalocyanine dye, and
triple-layer protection, they say the useful life of a CD is 300
years, and the DVDs 80 - 100 years.

Of course, they know, because they've had some actually last that
long...

;-)

And of course, in the year 2306, there will be CD drives to read these
discs!

We dispense with technology now to make things cheaper, faster, etc.
But, all they need to read a CD is a laser.

Old August 18th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark˛

RichA wrote:
Antoine Dese wrote:
TheDaveŠ wrote:

Using pure gold reflective layers, phthalocyanine dye, and
triple-layer protection, they say the useful life of a CD is 300
years, and the DVDs 80 - 100 years.

Of course, they know, because they've had some actually last that
long...

;-)

And of course, in the year 2306, there will be CD drives to read
these discs!

We dispense with technology now to make things cheaper, faster, etc.
But, all they need to read a CD is a laser.

Takes a bit more than a laser...
I just pointed my laser at a disc and it just reflected back to blind me...
No picture...Nothin'!

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark˛ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old August 18th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
William Crocker

"ColinD" wrote in message
Well, the CD versus negative storage longevity arguments are now put to
rest. Kodak have announced their new Gold Preservation CDs and DVDs.

Using pure gold reflective layers, phthalocyanine dye, and triple-layer
protection, they say the useful life of a CD is 300 years, and the DVDs
80 - 100 years.

Check:

http://www.kmpmedia.com/kodak-gold.html

Colin D.

What if I loose my original receipt? Will the warranty still be good?

Bill

Old August 18th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joan

You're not thinking ahead. Scan your original receipt and write it to
the CD.

--
Joan

"William Crocker" wrote in message
news :
: ...
:
: Using pure gold reflective layers, phthalocyanine dye, and
triple-layer
: protection, they say the useful life of a CD is 300 years, and the
DVDs
: 80 - 100 years.
:
: Check:
:
: http://www.kmpmedia.com/kodak-gold.html
:
: Colin D.
:
: --
: Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
:
:

Old August 18th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill K

Harry Krause wrote:
Joan wrote:
Can they also guarantee that electricity will be available in 300
years time?

I'd like a guarantee we're going to make it to the 2008 elections.

More likely the CDs will make it 300 years
--
Bill