Nikon made me buy Canon

Old July 15th 04, 07:45 AM
Philip Homburg

Default Nikon made me buy Canon

In article K8jJc.130$SD3.14@okepread06, Skip M wrote:
Yes, but...how many Nikon lenses introduced since they started to make AF
bodies are incompatible with those same AF bodies. The only ones I can
think of are the VR lenses with bodies pre F/N80. And that's only the VR,
the rest of the lens is operational.

You can't (easily) control the aperture of a VR lens with an F4. I think
this is the only serious incompatibility Nikon created. Of course, a Nikon
F won't meter with an AF lens, but I don't it is hard add a meter coupling
fork to an AF lens.

--
The Electronic Monk was a labor-saving device, like a dishwasher or a video
recorder. [...] Video recorders watched tedious television for you, thus saving
Old July 15th 04, 10:29 AM
Chris Brown

In article ,
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

It doesn't meter with the AIS lenses, but with a digital camera *who
cares*? If I need a perfect "first shot" I can do test shots ahead of
time (just the way I'd use a light meter ahead of time to prepare with
a film camera).

Exactly. People get terribly hung up about in-camera meters. I recently
picked up a small match-needle handheld light meter second-hand for the
price of a few pints of beer, and it works just fine.

I've also found that outside in the daytime, I can usually guess the correct
exposure to within a stop anyway, even here in the UK with our notoriously
changable weather. It only takes a bit of practice.
Old July 15th 04, 10:31 AM
Arte Phacting

I didn't realise I fely any pain until I read this.

Then I thought of my T90, TTL flash, couple of Canon lenses and a Sigma

Now I cotton on to the dump syndrome - any offers on the above?

Can I p/x it? hmmm - I wonder?

Artie

"MarkH" wrote in message
"Mark B." wrote in
:

Canon digitals don't support older manual focus lenses either, so I'm
not sure you made any kind of point.

I think his point is that ANY Canon EF mount lens will work on the Canon

D-
SLR, no confusion involved. IMO Canon's clean break from the old manual
lenses to the new EOS lenses with a brand new EF mount made life a lot
easier for them and their customers, despite any pain during the

transition
for those that owned a lot of glass.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Old July 15th 04, 10:32 AM
Jose Marques

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Zebedee wrote:

since I had to go AF to use digital then I wasn't forking out =A3800 for =

D70 body that won't accept any of my MF lenses and work with them when i
could get a D300 for =A3500 and a zoom lens for =A3200. Just what's the
point in buying Nikon any more?

The D70 has a better flash system, better matrix meter, bigger buffer,
faster compact flash interface, better ergonomics, better lens with the
kit bundle. On the other hand the 300D has a 100 ISO mode and access to a
wider range of IS/USM lenses.

I don't see the problem, MF lenses still work wonderfully on MF bodies.
I'm glad you switched, more cheap second hand MF lenses for me to buy. ;-)

--=20
Jose Marques

Old July 15th 04, 10:34 AM
Jose Marques

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Philip Homburg wrote:

but I don't it is hard add a meter coupling fork to an AF lens.

My 60mm f/2.8 micro has two little marks on the aperture ring so mark where
to make the holes for the metering prong.

--
Jose Marques