Nikon D70 + Auto Mode

Old January 31st 05, 05:25 AM
Anirudh

Default Nikon D70 + Auto Mode

Hi,
A new entry into world of photography, I have just bought a Nikon D70
+ Nikor Lens 18-70mm (comes with the set).

For the first snap I set the Auto Mode and clicked a scenery. It came
blurred :-(
Then in Auto Mode only i set the focus to infinity and clicked the
photograph and snap came fine.

The Query: Why in Auto Mode Do I have to set the focus? Also in Auto
Mode zooming the snap (for a scenery) without setting the focus
resulted in blurred photograph. Does D70 not work like Point-And-Shoot
in Auto Mode?

Eagerly waiting for the reply
-Anirudh
Old January 31st 05, 05:49 AM
DoN. Nichols

Anirudh wrote:
Hi,
A new entry into world of photography, I have just bought a Nikon D70
+ Nikor Lens 18-70mm (comes with the set).

For the first snap I set the Auto Mode and clicked a scenery. It came
blurred :-(
Then in Auto Mode only i set the focus to infinity and clicked the
photograph and snap came fine.

The Query: Why in Auto Mode Do I have to set the focus? Also in Auto
Mode zooming the snap (for a scenery) without setting the focus
resulted in blurred photograph. Does D70 not work like Point-And-Shoot
in Auto Mode?

There is a switch on the front of the camera, near the button
which releases the lens to allow changing it. That switch has two
positions:

AF

If in the "M" (Manual) setting, it disables the autofocus, and
allows the lens' focus ring to be easily turned.

If in the "AF" (AutoFocus) setting, you should not be able to
easily turn the focus ring on the lens, and attempting to do so may well
damage the gearing in the lens or the camera.

So -- one may hope that your switch is in the "M" position, and
that you have not damaged the camera or lens by fighting the autofocus
mechanism.

Best of luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old January 31st 05, 07:15 AM
Anirudh

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

The Lens has 2 setting modes
1. A/M -- This one is set
2. M

The Camera has two setting modes
1. A --- This one is set
2. M

The Auto mode is set for both cases. Then why setting focus manually?
(The focus ring is moving as smooth as it can)
Another Question then from me. Does no focus need to be set for other
pre-programmed shooting options? (like potrait, sports mode etc.)

Some setting option I am missing in D70?

btw tried sports mode, night scenery mode (setting the focus manually
in all cases) and results were simply excellent.

-Tx
Anirudh

Old January 31st 05, 08:56 AM
Ken Tough

Anirudh wrote:

The Query: Why in Auto Mode Do I have to set the focus? Also in Auto
Mode zooming the snap (for a scenery) without setting the focus
resulted in blurred photograph. Does D70 not work like Point-And-Shoot
in Auto Mode?

See the Tutorial section on Basic Photography in the manual,
Step 5 - Focus, especially on pressing the shutter button half-way
to set the autofocus. It's possible (but unlikely) that depending
on how the camera was set up and what you were pointing at, it
couldn't establish a focus.

--
Ken Tough
Old January 31st 05, 03:41 PM
Graham Holden

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:56:26 +0200, Ken Tough wrote:

Anirudh wrote:

The Query: Why in Auto Mode Do I have to set the focus? Also in Auto
Mode zooming the snap (for a scenery) without setting the focus
resulted in blurred photograph. Does D70 not work like Point-And-Shoot
in Auto Mode?

See the Tutorial section on Basic Photography in the manual,
Step 5 - Focus, especially on pressing the shutter button half-way
to set the autofocus. It's possible (but unlikely) that depending
on how the camera was set up and what you were pointing at, it
couldn't establish a focus.

The default settings shouldn't let you take a photo unless you have focus
lock.

Try:

1. Toggle the AF/M switch on the lens to M and back again (to make sure
it's properly selected).

2. Do the same with the A/M switch on the camera body.

3. Reset most of the camera's settings with the "two-button reset" (see p.
111 in the manual). To do this: hold down the BKT button (top-left of the
colour LCD) and the button just behind and to the left of the
shutter-release button for more than two seconds (both are marked with a
green dot).

4. Check that setting 2 on the custom settings menu (Autofocus) is set to
AF-S ... this will only allow the camera to release the shutter when it has
focus.

If you can still take photos that are out of focus, then it _may_ be that
something's wrong with the camera or the lens.

Old January 31st 05, 09:28 PM
Ken Tough

Graham Holden wrote:

If you can still take photos that are out of focus, then it _may_ be that
something's wrong with the camera or the lens.

Or perhaps its focussing on something unintended? If the default
in those modes is 'closest object' then perhaps what's in focus
isn't what you expect.
--
Ken Tough
Old January 31st 05, 10:29 PM
DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
Anirudh wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

The Lens has 2 setting modes
1. A/M -- This one is set
2. M

My lens does not have any such switch, but I did not get the
lens with the "kit" camera. I'm using a 28-105mm AF Nikor which I
already had.

The Camera has two setting modes
1. A --- This one is set
2. M

Is this the same one which I am talking about? Mine is on the
side of the camera, below the release button to allow changing lenses.
The markings on mine a

1. AF
2. M

and the "AF" setting is selected when the black tab on the bottom is
pressed back towards the camera body, and the "M" is selected when the
black tab is pulled away from the body.

This switch is shown as item 64 in the image of the camera on
page 4 of the manual. (And the explanation of it is on page 64, to
match the number beside the switch in the drawing.)

Note -- one thing to check to make sure that the lens' autofocus
mechanism is properly engaged:

1) Press the lens release button (19) and turn the lens clockwise
as viewed from the lens looking towards the body. It will turn
about 1/6th of a turn and stop. At this point, lift the lens
clear, and set it aside carefully.

2) Look at the lens mount ring on the camera body, near the
depth-of-field button (76). There should be a metal tab
sticking out of it.

3) Move the switch (64) to the 'M' position, and this tab should
retract until it is below the surface of the lens mount.

4) Move the switch (64) back to the "AF" position, and the tab
should extend again.

This tab is what couples the autofocus motor in the camera to
the gearing in the lens which turns the focus ring. If you look at the
back of the lens, you will find what looks like a slotted screw head in
the position which aligns with the tab when the lens is locked in place.
If you look at this while you turn the focus ring on the lens, the
"screw head" should rotate. If it does not -- there is a problem in the
lens itself, and the coupling between the "screw head" and the focus
ring is broken.

However, if the tab which should project from the camera's lens
mount ring does not, no matter what the setting of the AF/M switch (64),
then the problem is in the camera body.

The Auto mode is set for both cases. Then why setting focus manually?
(The focus ring is moving as smooth as it can)

Which is not as it should be. If the autofocus is coupled, it
should be difficult to move, and you should not move it.

One other possible problem could be that the lens is not turned
fully CCW to lock it into position. The release button (19) should pop
out a short distance when the lens locks in place. I've just
experimented, and discovered that it is possible to have the lens not
quite turned far enough, and the CPU contacts can make contact, but the
autofocus tab does not line up properly, and under those conditions, the
auto exposure works properly, but the autofocus does not work. Check
that out -- probably before you do any of the checks which I mentioned
above.

Another Question then from me. Does no focus need to be set for other
pre-programmed shooting options? (like potrait, sports mode etc.)

If the lens has an autofocus coupling (apparently sensed by
whether the lens pushes the coupling tab in flush with the mount ring or
not) then the rest of the automatic modes will work as normal, thinking
that you have a manual focus lens, and that you are dealing with the
problems of focusing. I have one lens for mine (180mm f2.8) which was
converted by the addition of a CPU so the auto-exposure works (and works
quite well), but which has no autofocus. I find it to be an excellent
lens, and to provide no problems other than the lack of the autofocus.

Some setting option I am missing in D70?

You have all of my thoughts above. FWIW, the manual which I am
using to reference the camera drawings is the English language version
with the identifier "6MBA1111-03" on the bottom right corner.

btw tried sports mode, night scenery mode (setting the focus manually
in all cases) and results were simply excellent.

Your autofocus should work. Hopefully you can get it working by
checking out all that I have suggested. If not -- it needs to go in for
repair while it is still under warranty.

Out of curiosity -- I forget whether this is the lens which
comes with the kit form or not. If it is not, are you sure that the
lens does even *have* autofocus? Is it a Nikon lens, or a third-party
lens? I know that some of the vendors are making up kits with
third-party lenses.

Best of luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old February 1st 05, 01:05 AM
Sheldon

I'm just guessing here, but there could be a few problems going on, and keep
in mind that autofocus ain't perfect.

1. I think the M/A setting on the "lens" allows you to easily override the
autofocus.

2. When in Auto mode (on the camera) you have little control over anything.
Also, the focus shifts to whatever the closest object is to the camera, but
if you switch over to P mode you can zero in on what you want to focus on.
Each shooting mode has it's own focus mode.

3. In dim lighting, flat lighting, or situations where the camera just
can't figure out what to focus on, you will have problems. Sometimes I have
no idea what the camera is trying to focus on.

Play with the camera a bit more before you decide there is something wrong.

om...

Old February 1st 05, 03:46 AM
Anirudh

Kuel ..... Got it working as desired :-)
I've just
experimented, and discovered that it is possible to have the lens not
quite turned far enough, and the CPU contacts can make contact, but

the
autofocus tab does not line up properly, and under those conditions,

the
auto exposure works properly, but the autofocus does not work.

This was the culprit ...I turned slightly and got a click noise and i
knew "Auto Focus" should work great and it did .

Also
Is this the same one which I am talking about? Mine is on the
side of the camera, below the release button to allow changing lenses.
The markings on mine a
1. AF
2. M

I did a typo, it is indeed 1. AF & 2. M

Out of curiosity -- I forget whether this is the lens which
comes with the kit form or not.

The lens is one with the kit ... "AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm
f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens "

Tx for whole load of combinations of inputs :-)
Thanks to everyone for all their input