Kodak DX6490 Lens adapter and exposure problems

Old December 27th 04, 04:53 AM
Roots750

Default Kodak DX6490 Lens adapter and exposure problems

Santa brought me a lens adapter and a UV filter for my Kodak DX6490 For
those not familiar with the camera, the adapter which is about 1.25" long
threads onto the front of the camera surrounding the lens to protect it when
it is extended, it also allows you to mount 55mm accessory filters
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US.
This works very well; however, my problem is that now all my pictures (well
the ones I took Christmas Day where the on camera flash was used at full
wide, I have yet to try a test at zoom) are under exposed. I have tried
several shots at full wide using the same exposure settings in both auto and
manual mode ; with and without the adapter and with/without my UV filter and
the shots with the adapter (with/without a filter) in place are flat and
underexposed . I don't get a good result until I remove the adapter from the
camera. I haven't had a chance to try outdoor exposures yet, but I can't see
why things would be any different.
Can someone explain this and perhaps tell me how to compensate for it? Ron
Baird, has this been noted before it would be the same on the new DX7590?
Care to comment?

Brian

Old December 28th 04, 02:38 AM
Roots750

I have tested outdoors and do not experience the same problem with the
adapter in place.

With the camera in Auto mode, when using the flash the only speed available
is ISO 80. I don't see how, but could this be part of the problem?

Old December 28th 04, 02:47 AM
Roots750

Can you tell me what manual you are referring to and where the specific
reference can be found ? Is it for the manual for the DX6490 ? Mine was
printed in early 2003 before the lens adapter was developed.

"Toomanyputters" wrote in message
m...
What he says is correct. You need to read the manual. It is mentioned in
there.

"Kenneth Miller" wrote in message
The adapter blocks part of the onboard flash and can't be used with the
onboard flash. The adapter doesn't affect non flash operations.
Ken Miller

Old January 3rd 05, 10:43 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Roots,

Just saw your note, Roots, and to my knowledge, no, that should not be an
issue. If you are referring to the use of the Wide Angle lens, however,
then yes it would be in the way of the flash. In either case, I always use
the external flash feature on the camera. It provides excellent lighting
(depending on flash features) that can illuminate a room and action at quite
a distance. There is no interferance in this mode.

Basically, however, lens adapter will not block the lens. I wonder if it is
possible that with the filter in place, and being at the outer edge of the
flash range, you are underexposing? Try setting the camera on a support,
with flash on, and taking a timed picture. Measure the distance to the
subject to be sure it is inside the flash range. Take another picture
without moving the camera and subject but put the filter in place. Review
these pictures to see if there is any flash fall off. Also, try zooming in
on the subject and take a flash picture with the lens attachment on and off.
Is there a difference. Remember, zooming shortens the flash range.

Flash range of the DX6490 = wide - 0.5 - 4.9 m (1.6 - 16.1 ft.); tele -
2.0 - 3.7 m (6.6 - 12.1 ft.)

Try these tests to see how you do and let us know.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old January 3rd 05, 10:57 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Roots,

You can find the manual at the followin URL

http://www.kodak.com/go/manuals

Just look up your model. Nice feature. You can download the PDF if you
have misplaced the manual itself. Let me know if you continue to have
questions.

Ron Baird

Old January 4th 05, 01:50 AM
Dave

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:43:01 -0500, "Ron Baird"
wrote:

Greetings Roots,

Just saw your note, Roots, and to my knowledge, no, that should not be an
issue. If you are referring to the use of the Wide Angle lens, however,
then yes it would be in the way of the flash. In either case, I always use
the external flash feature on the camera. It provides excellent lighting
(depending on flash features) that can illuminate a room and action at quite
a distance. There is no interferance in this mode.

I'm thinking of getting an external flash for my DX6490. What flash
are you using? What type of mount?

Thanks, Dave

Old January 4th 05, 09:03 AM
Ron Hunter

Ron Baird wrote:
Greetings Roots,

You can find the manual at the followin URL

http://www.kodak.com/go/manuals

Just look up your model. Nice feature. You can download the PDF if you
have misplaced the manual itself. Let me know if you continue to have
questions.

Ron Baird

What he says is correct. You need to read the manual. It is mentioned

in

there.

I find the online manuals to be a very valuable resource for those who
would like a bit more detail about a prospective purchase than can be
had at a store. Being able to read the manual on a new camera before
purchasing it is a valuable shopping tool. Thanks to Kodak for putting
them online.

--
Ron Hunter