Live Video/Data Capture?

Old June 30th 04, 02:06 PM
Jorge Prediguez

Default Live Video/Data Capture?

(RyanN) wrote in message . com...
I am somewhat new to this field, but need to put together a system
with the following requirements and was looking for some tips. First
the softwa

I need to capture live video to a PC while also logging some other
timestamped data (position, temperature, pressure, etc) via a serial
connection. The timestamping and some of the data is coming from a GPS
and some other instruments.
I would like to record this video and data directly to the hard drive.
Video captures may be up to several hours long (but probably very
compressable). Video quality isn't extremely important.
I would like to be able to play back the video, while displaying the
data captured at the time the video was taken.
Any video editing will be basic.
It would be nice to be able to capture more than one video stream at a
time.

Now the hardwa
The good news is that we don't own it yet.
The bad news is that it will be used outdoors in a damp environment,
so I'm thinking rack mounted or shoebox in a big pelican case with
some sort of cooling system. Lower power use would be nice.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

The right direction? Buy the new Sigma video camera with the Foveon
X75v sensor. It should be their in the stores next month. Not only
will this camera give you better quality video than any 3 chip camera
made but it also will record in exremely low light better than any
other camera. It will come with a full editing software suite
developed by Borden Software and all the cables and hardware, and even
a new Foveon video card for your choice of PC/Mac/Linux.
Old July 1st 04, 02:04 AM
Paolo Bellutta

In rec.video.production Jorge Prediguez wrote:
(RyanN) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I had to do a very similar thing. A high altitude balloon (130,000 feet)
with cameras and other instrumentation. What I ended up doing is to have one
system that logs the accessory data by timestamping with GPS time, and
get the video with a GPS-based Time Code. When on the ground I have a
data stream with GPS time and a video that has GPS-based time code.

Paolo