Epson F-3200 - the verdict

Old December 3rd 04, 09:32 PM
Ralf R. Radermacher

Default Epson F-3200 - the verdict

Here's the result of the tests I've done on the F-3200, so far, and why
I've abandoned them, tonight:

Detail resolution at 3200 dpi is a tad better than that of my Perfection
3200 but still way below that of my Nikon LS-2000 at 2700 dpi.

The noise performance is remarkably better than that of the Perfection
3200 and even the LS-2000.

The speed is incredible. A 3200 dpi scan of a Noblex frame (5 x 12 cm or
2 x 5 inches) takes about as long as a 35 mm frame on the LS-2000! I
won't even try to describe the difference to the Perfection 3200...

I had almost decided to keep it - if only for the speed advantage and
the lower noise - when I noticed a fingerprint on the MF film carrier.
Used one of my good Hama cloths to wipe if away and then spent about
half an hour to get the dust away from the glass inside the carrier. No
way. This isn't glass - it's plastic!!! They have sheets of transparent
plastic in the negative carriers! Hold it against a light and watch dust
gather on its surface as if it were snowing. Spent about 100 liters of
compressed air (thank heavens I own a compressor). Still dust all over
the ...beep... thing.

Back to the Perfection 3200 and 15 minutes per scan for my Noblex negs.
:-(

Already tugged the F-3200 back into its box. Will be returned first
thing on Monday morning. Pity, really.

Anyone interested in a complete Mamiya 645 Pro outfit, lenses, 3 backs
and all?

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
Old December 3rd 04, 11:08 PM
Ronin

Interesting... So, is this scanner avaiable to the US market? I cannot see
it avaiable in Europe yet... Also, have you done some comparison with the
Epson 4870?

One last question about the 3200... I'm a new 4870 owner: do you prefer to
scan the film using the holders or by placing it directly on the so-called
"glass"? The real damn thing about these scanners is that they're fixed
focus and I'm not very sure about the optiomal film-sensor distance given by
the holders. By the way, they remain the only affordable way to scan 4x5"
sheets. But is there a way to improve MF scanning? (I use mostly 6x6, 6x7
and 6x9)

regards

Old December 3rd 04, 11:42 PM
Ralf R. Radermacher

"Ronin" (debris)@(email).(it) wrote:

Interesting... So, is this scanner avaiable to the US market? I cannot see
it avaiable in Europe yet...

I'd hardly have one here if it weren't available in Europe.

http://www.epson.co.uk/products/scanners/F-3200.htm

Also, have you done some comparison with the
Epson 4870?

I tried and returned a 4870 earlier this year. I'd say the resolution
should be the same as the F-3200.

One last question about the 3200... I'm a new 4870 owner: do you prefer to
scan the film using the holders or by placing it directly on the so-called
"glass"?

Do you mean the Perfection 3200 or the F-3200? With the F-3200 there is
no way of using it without the film holders. With the Perfection 3200,
you need to use the film holders or you'll see your film curl into neat
little rolls when it dries in the heat generated by the scanner.

With the resolution being as poor as it is, I wouldn't expect much
influence from placing the negative a few mils higher or lower.

There was a website somewhere showing the effects of raising the film
holder but I've lost the URL.

Ralf

Old December 3rd 04, 11:53 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"Ralf R. Radermacher" wrote in message
SNIP
Already tugged the F-3200 back into its box. Will be returned
first thing on Monday morning. Pity, really.

Thanks for the feedback. It's a pitty it didn't work out as hoped.

Bart

Old December 4th 04, 01:28 PM
Ronin

I've heard about this product:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfishe...lderintro.html
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int..._holder/MF.htm

does really work, improving image sharpness? is it worth the money?