Recommendation for technophobe?

Old November 8th 04, 04:11 AM
Barney Google

Default Recommendation for technophobe?

A friend has asked me for a recommendation for a digicam, but I don't
know much about the low models. He doesn't have much luck with
technology so it'd have to be simple to operate. He won't need any
manual modes like aperture or shutter priority. I figure 3MP should be
enough for him, and a 3x optical zoom. He'll just use it for snapshots
on vacations. He doesn't even have a computer, so he'll have to take
the memory card to one of those kiosks to have 4x6 prints made. I don't
know what the kiosks support nowadays, but I guess the camera shouldn't
use one of the less popular formats like xD. Price not really
important, but I told him under $200 is doable.

Any suggestions?
Old November 8th 04, 04:50 AM
Steve

Barney Google wrote:
A friend has asked me for a recommendation for a digicam, but I don't
know much about the low models. He doesn't have much luck with
technology so it'd have to be simple to operate. He won't need any
manual modes like aperture or shutter priority. I figure 3MP should be
enough for him, and a 3x optical zoom. He'll just use it for snapshots
on vacations. He doesn't even have a computer, so he'll have to take
the memory card to one of those kiosks to have 4x6 prints made. I
don't know what the kiosks support nowadays, but I guess the camera
shouldn't use one of the less popular formats like xD. Price not
really important, but I told him under $200 is doable.

Any suggestions?

Barney:

Have your friend look into the Kodak EasyShare line. They are good for
technophobes.

Steve

Old November 8th 04, 03:25 PM
Robert Barr

I'd second the suggestion for the Kodak line.

However, I'd also suggest that your friend's 'luck' with technology, as
it pertains to digital cameras, will improve dramatically by RTFM.
There's no digital equivalent of the Instamatic, that I'm aware of.

It's not so much that the Kodak line is simpler than others; I just
think it's likely that he'll get great results from leaving the camera
on its full-auto mode. The extra large LCD will help a great deal for
someone with no PC to examine the photos with. Pop its SD card into a
machine at the drug store, do the cropping there, and the satisfaction
should take it from there.
Old November 8th 04, 03:28 PM
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

I guess my first question would be, "why does he want a digital
camera?"

If he is really a technophobe, he may be better off with a film
camera. While he may save a bit of money by not printing every
picture he takes, the amount extra he will spend for a digital vs a
simple film P&S camera will buy a lot of film developing.

Old November 8th 04, 11:36 PM
Barney Google

In article , Robert
Barr wrote:

I'd second the suggestion for the Kodak line.

However, I'd also suggest that your friend's 'luck' with technology, as
it pertains to digital cameras, will improve dramatically by RTFM.
There's no digital equivalent of the Instamatic, that I'm aware of.

It's not so much that the Kodak line is simpler than others; I just
think it's likely that he'll get great results from leaving the camera
on its full-auto mode. The extra large LCD will help a great deal for
someone with no PC to examine the photos with. Pop its SD card into a
machine at the drug store, do the cropping there, and the satisfaction
should take it from there.

Thanks. I'll check out the line and pick one out for him.
Old November 8th 04, 11:43 PM
Barney Google

In article , Don
Stauffer in Minneapolis wrote:

I guess my first question would be, "why does he want a digital
camera?"

If he is really a technophobe, he may be better off with a film
camera. While he may save a bit of money by not printing every
picture he takes, the amount extra he will spend for a digital vs a
simple film P&S camera will buy a lot of film developing.

I don't know why he wants one. Might be because he's enamored with the
ease I quickly download my pictures from my Coolpix to my laptop. But
again, he has no computer and doesn't want to get one. Hey, it's his
money. All I can do is try to keep him from falling for the sales
pitches.