What's a good free Windows video editor that crops out data in the MP4 video frame?

Old October 10th 17, 12:10 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Keith Keith

Default What's a good free Windows video editor that crops out data in the MP4 video frame?

Hello harry,

He who is Paul said on Sat, 07 Oct 2017 00:36:41 -0400:

It used to be a very good group.

But nothing lasts forever.

The good news is that I've gone through a steep learning curve where
Shotcut does edit video.

One thing I've learned the hard way, which I'm sure all experienced
people already know, is that the better I take the input video the
easier the editing will be. My test video was "jumpy" so I had to
constantly get rid of stuff.

Another thing I learned the hard way is that the one character you can
not use in Shotcut to blank out text is the "space" character. It
*looks* like it works when you're editing, but the output is *never*
blanked out!

If you use any other character than the space, what you see in editing
is what you get in output - but if you use the space (which,
logically, is what you'd first use), you get NOTHING redacted in the
output.

Go figure.

These are lessons easily enough remembered - but hard learned.

The good news is that Shotcut seems to pretty much do everything you
will need in at least a rudimentary way - but it has a steep learning
curve (IMHO).

Now I'm going to start looking for a no-registration upload site for
videos, and that will complete the loop for my first edited MP4 video
from Android to Windows.

Have you tried VideoPad Video Editor?

Old October 10th 17, 05:06 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
harry newton

He who is Keith Keith said on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 11:10:33 +0000 (UTC):

The good news is that Shotcut seems to pretty much do everything you
will need in at least a rudimentary way - but it has a steep learning
curve (IMHO).

Have you tried VideoPad Video Editor?

I'm always open to suggestions as to the best freeware extant.
So thanks for that idea. I'm testing it out now.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/10/videopad.jpg

Quick observations (which can change over time)...
Here's the canonical site for others to benefit:
VideoPad Video Editor http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/

"VideoPad Video Editor is a video editing application developed by NCH
Software for the home and professional market. The software is complemented
by the VirtualDub plug-ins that work with the software. VideoPad is part of
a suite that integrates with other software created by NCH Software. This
other software includes WavePad, a sound-editing program; MixPad, a
sound-mixing program; and PhotoPad, an image editor"

"A free video editor version is available for non-commercial use only."
http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/vpsetup.exe
It appears to be available for Mac, Windows, & Android.
The interface looks clean and simple and it seems to use VirtualDub
plugins, but bear in mind a lot of the options are turned off in the
freeware (so we have to see what works and what doesn't work).

As I always maintain an observation log when I install software three
oddities immediately struck me as quite different about VP.
a. The installer defaulted to accepting the EULA (no big deal)
b. The installer installed the program incredibly quickly (unusual)
c. The installer exhibited other badly written hallmarks (a warning sign)
d. The software phones home via the web with what appears to be an "id"
e. The software seems to have a 7 second start delay that kicks in later
f. The software phones home secretly to audiochannel.net (66.39.83.117
g. The GUI seems far more intuitive (with big buttons!) than Shotcut is

VP imported the video quickly when I ran the File Add Files command.
Like Shotcut (the only other video editor I can compare it to), it puts the
"video preview" in one corner and the audio & video timelines on the bottom
row. Like Shotcut, VideoPad Editor has a GUI for splitting the track into
shorter clips. VideoPad has a nice "zoom" button for zooming in on the clip
in a Preview Timeline of sorts.

I'll test it out further to see if it can do the minimum I need which is to
blur faces and redact privacy information in smartphone video clips.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/10/videopad.jpg
Old October 11th 17, 03:22 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Keith Keith

Hello harry,

I hired a "profesional" Sony shoulder-mount video camera to film my grandson's
wedding and "do"; used VP to process the "film" then used "Totally Free Converter"
to make the HD output available as.avi's as well as the .vob's (for displaying
on mobile phones/TVs/Tabblets.
It is the first time I have used a video camera abd was amazed at how steady
the images were.

clips. http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/10/videopad.jpg

Old October 11th 17, 06:02 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
harry newton

He who is Keith Keith said on Wed, 11 Oct 2017 14:22:50 +0000 (UTC):

I hired a "profesional" Sony shoulder-mount video camera to film my grandson's
wedding and "do"; used VP to process the "film" then used "Totally Free Converter"
to make the HD output available as.avi's as well as the .vob's (for displaying
on mobile phones/TVs/Tabblets.
It is the first time I have used a video camera abd was amazed at how steady
the images were.

Thanks for the hint of Totally Free Converter for file-format conversion.
When I searched, it showed up in lots of download sites.

Is this the canonical download site for Totally Free Converter?
http://www.sabsoft.com/TotallyFreeConverter.htm

This is the marketing blurb at that site:
"Totally Free Converter is an express video & audio conversion tool.
It converts video file to another video format, extract audio from
video file and convert audio file to another audio format. A big
feature of Totally Free Converter is the wide range of supported
video and audio formats. It works with all popular formats."

I put it in my video-conversion software archive:
C:\software\editors\video\converters\totallyfreeco nverter

In that same directory is the last non-adware version of Super freeware,
which, on Windows, was the canonical video converter software until they
went to the dark side a few years ago.

Also in that conversion directory is the Handbrake freeware converter,
which has the distinction of being open source and cross platform. There
are also other related video and audio conversion utilities such as
avidemux, ffmpeg, anyaudioconverter, klite codec packs, mkvtoolnix, oxelon,
etc.

I'll check out this Totally Free Converter and write up my observations, as
always. One observation I can make though, about video converters, is that
there are a lot of them, so, finding one isn't the effort.

As with most software - freeware included - finding the best at task is
where all the effort lies.
Old October 11th 17, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
harry newton

He who is harry newton said on Fri, 6 Oct 2017 12:37:56 +0000 (UTC):

Does anyone know of a no-registration video (i.e., large file) upload site?

On the Windows ng, I already posted the first video using the suggested
Shotcut freeware to upload the "Fritz! App" demonstration for iOS users
that on iOS such things as graphing signal strength over time are
apparently prohibited by Apple (for God knows what reason).

Today I just made a second video using Shotcut freeware, where I learned a
ton and where the second video took an order of magnitude less time to
create than the first, simply due to the lessons inevitably learned.

Here's the second video for review of results where the goal was simply:
a. Record video/audio on Android of the screen running an app
b. Copy that MP4 video from Android to Windows over the WiFi LAN
c. Edit the video by adding text callouts and redacting private information
d. Post the video to a no-registration upload site for others to view

The no-registration site of the first video of Fritz! WiFi signal strength
monitoring was "sendspace.com"; but people didn't like that site all that
much so I'm trying out filedropper.com for this second video of the Android
capabilities that iOS will never have (for God knows what reason Apple
restricts iOS functionality so much).

Here is the second video showing "redaction" using opensource Shotcut:
http://www.filedropper.com/wifianalyzersignalstrength

The first video showing Shotcut redaction was prior posted to sendspace:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/gvckbe

What do you think of the Shotcut redaction results?
What do you think of those no-registration video upload/download sites?
Old October 11th 17, 09:18 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

In message , the capital-hater harry newton
writes:
[]
As with most software - freeware included - finding the best at task is
where all the effort lies.

One factor is overcoming familiarity-prejudice, too - some people
(probably most of us; I know I'm guilty) think the "best" is the one
they've been using for years, if not decades, and they overcome the
shortcomings (inefficiencies, but not just those) by habit that's so
ingrained they don't realise they're doing it.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

If you're playing a killer monster, be very quiet. -
Anthony Hopkins, RT 2016/10/22-28
Old October 11th 17, 09:31 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , J. P. Gilliver
(John) wrote:

One factor is overcoming familiarity-prejudice, too - some people
(probably most of us; I know I'm guilty) think the "best" is the one
they've been using for years, if not decades, and they overcome the
shortcomings (inefficiencies, but not just those) by habit that's so
ingrained they don't realise they're doing it.

true.

another effect is that if another system does what they want, but in a
slightly different way, it's automatically worse, even if it's
objectively simpler and more effective.
Old October 12th 17, 02:36 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
harry newton

He who is nospam said on Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:31:18 -0400:

One factor is overcoming familiarity-prejudice, too - some people
(probably most of us; I know I'm guilty) think the "best" is the one
they've been using for years, if not decades, and they overcome the
shortcomings (inefficiencies, but not just those) by habit that's so
ingrained they don't realise they're doing it.

true.

another effect is that if another system does what they want, but in a
slightly different way, it's automatically worse, even if it's
objectively simpler and more effective.

I must agree with both JP Gilliver and nospam that there are many people
who make emotional decisions where they no longer can look objectively at
the problem set.

For an on-topic example, I already noted that most of the Shotcut videos
started with a *customized* user interface. While it's noble that Shotcut
is so customizable, no noob is going to have that customized user interface
right off the bat. Luckily Shotcut has a button to return the GUI to the
defaults, but I haven't found a single tutorial video that starts from the
defaults.

Worse, highly graphically intensive GUIs such as Shotcut aren't really very
explainable in text, so you *need* the videos more so than you do with
command line conversion tools.

Having said all that, I can easily see now that as people have expended the
energy to learn how Shotcut does things, that they may be resistant to
accept another freeware program that does the same things - only
differently.

When taking into account comparisons, many factors come into play.
Often the best program may turn out to be the most portable for example,
which generally is found in open-source programs more so than in
proprietary incarnations of the same functionality.

In the end, at the moment anyway, I think Shotcut does most of what I
needed a freeware video editor to do, which enabled me to make this set of
videos yesterday and today:

Videos:
WiFi Analyzer: http://www.filedropper.com/wifianalyzersignalstrength
Fritz: https://www.sendspace.com/file/gvckbe
Screenshots:
Fritz WLAN: http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/fritz_wlan.jpg
WiFi Analyzer: http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/wifianalyzerbbb1c.jpg

Which soundly refuted this video "claiming" non-existent iOS capabilities:
Videos:
https://youtu.be/7QaABa6DFIo
http://www.filedropper.com/iosshowingwi-fiovertime-7qaaba6dfio
Screenshots:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/wifi_sweetspots.jpg
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/wifisweetspot_video_by_snit.jpg

I realize that to most normal people, the app web site and the screenshots
by the users would have proven the point, but the iOS apologists repeatedly
insisted (dozens of times) that only a video would prove the point. Sigh.

--
And so, a video was made... thanks to you!
Old October 12th 17, 02:45 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
harry newton

He who is harry newton said on Thu, 12 Oct 2017 01:36:53 +0000 (UTC):

I realize that to most normal people, the app web site and the screenshots
by the users would have proven the point, but the iOS apologists repeatedly
insisted (dozens of times) that only a video would prove the point. Sigh.

OOOps. I apologize for not being complete...

In that last post, I forgot to link to the proof of that statement above
that only a video would satisfy the iOS apologists who crafted this
entirely erroneous video where not a single statement is factually correct:
https://youtu.be/7QaABa6DFIo

In that video (and dozens of times on numerous Apple and iOS newsgroups),
you hear that iOS apologist tell iOS gullibles that only a video will prove
him wrong.

So a video was made...

Here's the related thread with all the gory details, but all you have to
read is the opening post to get the incontrovertible facts which the
Shotcut-edited video further proved beyond a shadow of a doubt.

It's a fact iOS devices can't even graph Wi-Fi signal strength over time
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/Dhy-LFH3AwAJ
Old October 12th 17, 05:48 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Char Jackson

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 01:36:53 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
wrote:

He who is nospam said on Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:31:18 -0400:

One factor is overcoming familiarity-prejudice, too - some people
(probably most of us; I know I'm guilty) think the "best" is the one
they've been using for years, if not decades, and they overcome the
shortcomings (inefficiencies, but not just those) by habit that's so
ingrained they don't realise they're doing it.

true.

another effect is that if another system does what they want, but in a
slightly different way, it's automatically worse, even if it's
objectively simpler and more effective.

I must agree with both JP Gilliver and nospam that there are many people
who make emotional decisions where they no longer can look objectively at
the problem set.

I wonder if Gvim text editor would be an example of that. ;-)

Naw, probably not.

--

Char Jackson