SD to CF adapters in 10D?

Old February 19th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ralph D.

Default SD to CF adapters in 10D?

Hello again,

My son has been given a Canon EOS 10D by someone who has upgraded. He has
gone from P&S film to Fuji 3800 to Canon S3IS, but did not have the Canon
long. So... we may have a few questions in the near future.

Today's first one is:

He has a boatload of 1G SD cards that he got for the S3IS. The 10D uses CF.
I see there are adapters to use SD in a CF slot... are they undesirable for
any reason? He's a 15yr old kid but he works hard for his money and would
like to continue using what he has spent his cash on (he has a good attitude
towards thrift that many kids do not). If he can use these without too much
ill-effect I'd like to point him toward one.

Thanks!

Old February 19th 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Ralph D. wrote:
Hello again,

My son has been given a Canon EOS 10D by someone who has upgraded. He has
gone from P&S film to Fuji 3800 to Canon S3IS, but did not have the Canon
long. So... we may have a few questions in the near future.

Today's first one is:

He has a boatload of 1G SD cards that he got for the S3IS. The 10D uses CF.
I see there are adapters to use SD in a CF slot... are they undesirable for
any reason? He's a 15yr old kid but he works hard for his money and would
like to continue using what he has spent his cash on (he has a good attitude
towards thrift that many kids do not). If he can use these without too much
ill-effect I'd like to point him toward one.

Don't even go there. Flash memory cards are so cheap that an adapter
would be harldy any savings. For example: 2GB CF cards are around $9
(don't waste money on the fast cards since the 10D doesn't take
advantage of them) and he won't need more than two. An adapter costs
about $18 and introduces risk of mechanical failure.

--
Ray Fischer

Old February 19th 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Clair Johnston

Ralph D. wrote:
Hello again,

My son has been given a Canon EOS 10D by someone who has upgraded. He has
gone from P&S film to Fuji 3800 to Canon S3IS, but did not have the Canon
long. So... we may have a few questions in the near future.

Today's first one is:

He has a boatload of 1G SD cards that he got for the S3IS. The 10D uses CF.
I see there are adapters to use SD in a CF slot... are they undesirable for
any reason? He's a 15yr old kid but he works hard for his money and would
like to continue using what he has spent his cash on (he has a good attitude
towards thrift that many kids do not). If he can use these without too much
ill-effect I'd like to point him toward one.

Thanks!

yes, there are adapters to use SD cards in a CF slot. I got mine for
about $25 from Adorama. Others may carry them also. The camera must
accept CF2 cards. I have had no problems.

Clair
Old February 19th 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:38:51 -0500, "Ralph D." wrote:

He has a boatload of 1G SD cards that he got for the S3IS. The 10D uses CF.
I see there are adapters to use SD in a CF slot... are they undesirable for
any reason? He's a 15yr old kid but he works hard for his money and would
like to continue using what he has spent his cash on (he has a good attitude
towards thrift that many kids do not). If he can use these without too much
ill-effect I'd like to point him toward one.

I use a SD-CF adapter and it works fine.

Old February 19th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Ralph D. wrote:
Hello again,

My son has been given a Canon EOS 10D by someone who has upgraded. He has
gone from P&S film to Fuji 3800 to Canon S3IS, but did not have the Canon
long. So... we may have a few questions in the near future.

Today's first one is:

He has a boatload of 1G SD cards that he got for the S3IS. The 10D uses CF.
I see there are adapters to use SD in a CF slot... are they undesirable for
any reason? He's a 15yr old kid but he works hard for his money and would
like to continue using what he has spent his cash on (he has a good attitude
towards thrift that many kids do not). If he can use these without too much
ill-effect I'd like to point him toward one.

Ray has the correct answer.

--
john mcwilliams
Old February 20th 09, 07:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
D-Mac[_11_]

John McWilliams wrote:
Ralph D. wrote:
Hello again,

My son has been given a Canon EOS 10D by someone who has upgraded. He
has gone from P&S film to Fuji 3800 to Canon S3IS, but did not have
the Canon long. So... we may have a few questions in the near future.

Today's first one is:

He has a boatload of 1G SD cards that he got for the S3IS. The 10D
uses CF. I see there are adapters to use SD in a CF slot... are they
undesirable for any reason? He's a 15yr old kid but he works hard for
his money and would like to continue using what he has spent his cash
on (he has a good attitude towards thrift that many kids do not). If
he can use these without too much ill-effect I'd like to point him
toward one.

Ray has the correct answer.

Correct for who John?

I use 2, s5 Pro Fujifilm cameras that use CF cards but mainly run Nikon
DSLRs that take SD cards. To save crap that goes with needing two types
of cards, I bought adaptors at $30 each off Ebay. Film count on both s5
cameras is over 10k each and not a single failure.

I have even used the Sandisk card adaptors to convert my phone memory to
SD and then put that in the CFC adaptor and shot 2 gig of images when I
over shot my quota of SD cards for a day.

Unless you've got some specific instances to quote of these adaptors
failing or you have personal experience using them... Any information
you offer is pure speculation and gossip.

D-Mac.info
Old February 20th 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
hardtstein

Make sure the adapters say SDHC . If not, they will not work with the
larger capacity SD cards, 2gb. and up.

Old February 24th 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ralph D.

Well, it seems the discussion has run it's course on this, so... Thanks for
the input, everyone.

We have a few times a year when we run through 6 or 9 cards over a trip and
it just seems a waste to buy that many new cards when he has so many SD,
maybe a dozen even.

Problem now is... I know I have seen these but I looked all over Newegg and
Tiger and so forth and don't see them anywhere. I'll keep looking and have
him use the CF1G he has for one day/location shooting and maybe use the
adapter for more.

Thanks again to all.

Old February 24th 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Ralph D. wrote:
Well, it seems the discussion has run it's course on this, so... Thanks for
the input, everyone.

We have a few times a year when we run through 6 or 9 cards over a trip and
it just seems a waste to buy that many new cards when he has so many SD,
maybe a dozen even.

?!? A 4GB CF card can hold well over 500 pictures, or about a
thousand if you shoot only JPEG. They run for less than $20 each.

--
Ray Fischer

Old February 24th 09, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Clair Johnston

John McWilliams wrote:
Ralph D. wrote:
[...]

Here are two,
http://www.adorama.com/Search-Result...cf% 20adapter
I am using the JOBO in a D300 with no problems. Allows me to carry one
card type for our various cameras, phones, gps, etc

Clair