OM-1 Long lens solution

Old December 29th 03, 11:20 PM
Al

Default OM-1 Long lens solution

I have a sister heavy into Olympus OM-1 bodies. She's also very
interested in wildlife photography, but has never been able to afford a
big fast lens... what would folks recommend that would fit the OM-1
family? I'm hoping there are old Zuiko's available at a decent prict...
or maybe there's a moderately priced 3rd party lens someone has had good
luck with. I guess something faster than 5.6 and 400mm or larger would
be attractive to her.

Thanks in advance,
Al
Old December 30th 03, 10:33 PM
Bob Monaghan

see http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/telephoto.html and
/third/mirror.html

basically, prices jump ALOT above default values (like 400mm f/5.6 could
cost $125 on up in a t-mount, while 400mm f/4 could cost ten times that,
not counting cost of filters and lens hood. see mf/beat.html the lens
hood alone on nikon 600mm f/4 AF-S costs $900 MSRP for replacement - not
the lens, just the lens hood ;-)

most folks buy a 300mm f/2.8 and teleconverters ($800+ used 3rd party and
more for OEM models).

on the other hand, 500mm f/8 and 600mm f/8 T mount lenses can do very well
and cost under $100 used (I picked up 600mm f/8 with case for half that
;-). I prefer the glass lenses as noted in above URLs

I would start with the long lenses at affordable speeds, then rent the
faster ones for weekends once you know the birds habits and spots, and
decide if the extra speed is worth the high cost and weight etc. ;-)

regards bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old December 31st 03, 06:29 PM
Al

In article ,
says...
Subject: OM-1 Long lens solution
From:
(Bob Monaghan)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.equipment.misc

--

Thanks very much Bob - that's quite an interesting page you referenced!
The rental idea is a good one too, although I wonder if finding the old

Thanks again for the informative reply!

- Al