What's a good free Windows video editor that crops out data in the MP4 video frame?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 12th 17, 10:29 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
harry newton

Default What's a good free Windows video editor that crops out data in the MP4 video frame?

He who is Char Jackson said on Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:48:33 -0500:

I must agree with both JP Gilliver and nospam that there are many people
who make emotional decisions where they no longer can look objectively at
the problem set.

I wonder if Gvim text editor would be an example of that. ;-)

Naw, probably not.

I smiled with pleasure when I saw your note because you understood that I
am extremely efficient at typing with gvim (which I'm using at this very
moment to type my Usenet posts).

I consider myself "decent" in finding the canonical freeware to perform any
particular task, and, as you may note, there rarely (if ever) is a task
where freeware doesn't suffice.

For example, as you know, Shotcut "worked" (although it would have been
nicer if Shotcut could have intelligently "followed" the MAC addresses and
SSID's that I had needed to crop out in the aforementioned videos).

The thing is that I've now invested a lot of time (compared to the
two-minute length of the video anyway) in learning Shotcut, right?

Once I've invested that time, it's almost like it's a barrier to investing
*more* time in testing out other video freeware editors such as avidemux,
ffmpeg, imagemagick, virtualdub, etc.

I think of freeware selection similar to how an employee is selected out of
a stack of resumes.

The first phase is to weed out the crap in the resumes.
The second phase is to run a quick phone call to weed out more crap.
The third phase is to run the first interview and make quick decisions.
The fourth phase is to run the second (perhaps day long) interview.
Then the fifth phase is to pick the best out of the short list to hire.
Once hired, the sixth (longest) phase is working with that person.

Here's the analogy to the point you're making which is that once you've
worked with that person for a decade or two, you don't just drop them for
the next pretty face that comes along.

You work with the person to fix the flaws (if possible).

Of course, if that person/software turns out to be a dinosaur where the new
person/software does the job better/faster/cheaper, then, of course, you
fire the person/software and hire the new person/software.

But you give the existing employee/software the chance to do the job first.

The trick (and the whole expense, really) in freeware, is in choosing the
canonical freeware for the job. All the work is mostly in figuring out
which is the best software to invest your energy into making it work.

This is no different, conceptually, than investing training and other
efforts in your most adaptable employees, to help them work better.

In the case of video editors, I thank whomever it was that suggested
Shotcut, because it seems to have the right attitude, which is that it's a
cross-platform open-source freeware intended to do what it takes to get the
job done.

The only failing, so far, of shotcut is that it's a bit hard to use (but I
don't know if all video editing software has similar quirks), and that it
doesn't seem to "follow" blurs, which would be a nice feature if it had
that.

I do agree though, that once I've invested a few dozen hours into Shotcut,
I feel less inclined to invest more hours in, say, Video Pad Editor,
especially since the hallmarks of Video Pad Editor are of crippleware while
the hallmarks of Shotcut are open-source freeware.

As with choosing employees based on first interviews, there are pros and
cons which are obvious, to wit...

Shotcut: Sure seems like classic good freeware - but - the interface takes
getting used to.

VideoPad: Sure seems like crippleware - but - the interface is clean and
simpler.

At the moment, I've hired Shotcut who is in the probationary period of
about a year before I can declare that "employee" tenured in my software
repository.