Sigma Digital SLR Cameras.

Old June 18th 04, 10:15 AM
Biff Mullins

Default Sigma Digital SLR Cameras.

Thinking about buying the Sigma DSLR. Either the SD9 or the SD10.

Is the SD10 worth the extra money? What would be the best lens to start out with.

Oh yeah, does anyone know when that Foveon point and shoot will be available?

Thanks.

Biff Mullins
Old June 18th 04, 11:26 AM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Biff Mullins" wrote in message
m...

Thinking about buying the Sigma DSLR. Either the SD9 or the SD10.
Is the SD10 worth the extra money? What would be the best lens to

start out with.

Oh yeah, does anyone know when that Foveon point and shoot will be

available?

If you need higher ISO settings, the SD10 is the better choice. If
you shoot at lower ISO settings as I do (I'm just a causal
photographer) than the SD9 is just fine. IMO the 50mm EX lens is a
great starting point with either camera.

Old June 18th 04, 11:34 AM
D.R.

"Biff Mullins" wrote in message
m...

Thinking about buying the Sigma DSLR. Either the SD9 or the SD10.

Don't waste your money.

Old June 18th 04, 01:33 PM
Zebedee

Before you look for a Sigma DSLR, have a look at the scathing review on

www.dcresource.com about it.

Personally, I feel that the Sigma is a capable camera let down by the poor
Sigma lenses and the restrictive image file format.

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt
to escape paying his debts to
Dougal and Florence)

Old June 18th 04, 01:55 PM
TP

"Zebedee" wrote:

Before you look for a Sigma DSLR, have a look at the scathing review on
www.dcresource.com about it.

There is nothing scathing about that review. It is a highly
complimentary review that expresses some reservations about the
quality of Sigma lenses. But we knew that anyway.

Some excerpts will show that the review is far from scathing:

---

QUOTED FROM www.dcresource.com:

---

You will, however, find that this 3.4 Megapixel image blows away
anything you've seen before in terms of image quality. I think you'll
agree after viewing the sample photos attached to this review.

---

Included with the SD10 is the excellent Sigma Photo Pro 2.0 software.
This software should serve as an example to other camera
manufacturers, with its great user interface and robust performance.
You'll be spending a lot of time in Photo Pro, since the camera only
saves photos in RAW (X3F) format. At first glance, Photo Pro looks
like just another photo browser (see above photo). But select an image
and you'll find a lot more functionality.

---

In general, I was pleased with the results I saw using the auto
correction feature. If you're not satisfied with how that looks, you
can tweak the settings until the image looks like what you were
expecting.

The manual included with the SD10 is pretty good for a camera manual.
I especially liked the lengthy explanations, and minimal fine print.

---

The first thing you'll notice while looking at the back of the camera
is just how simple everything is. There are just a few buttons and no
dials, making it a welcome change from more complex D-SLRs.

---

If you clicked on those images above, or if you know anything about
the X3 sensor, you won't be surprised to hear my assessment of the
image quality: it's awesome, especially after a trip through that auto
adjustment feature. The sharpness and resolution are truly stunning

---

While the Sigma SD10 would be a nice D-SLR if it used a traditional
CCD or CMOS sensor, it's the SD10's Foveon X3 image sensor which
really makes it stand out from the crowd. Image quality is, in a word,
stunning.

---

Another standout feature of the camera is the Sigma Photo Pro
software, which you'll learn to love. That's because you must
post-process every image, as they're all saved in RAW format.
Thankfully, the Photo Pro software is both capable and responsive. You
can let the camera make automatic adjustments to the image, or you can
tweak it yourself.

---

What I liked:

Stunning image quality
Robust performance
FireWire and USB ports
Uses AA batteries (instead of lithium-ion)
Easy to use
All the benefits of a D-SLR: lenses, flashes, and full manual controls
Excellent Photo Pro software

What I didn't care for:

Poor low light focusing without external flash
Dust seems to be a problem
Some of Sigma's lenses are not so great
All images must be post-processed (this may be a good thing, depending
on your point of view)
Above average noise at high ISOs
Bulky

---

So much for a "scathing review"!

;-)

Old June 18th 04, 02:01 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"Biff Mullins" wrote in message
m...

Please ignore this crossposting troll behind an anonimizer.

Old June 21st 04, 09:08 PM
DE

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
"Biff Mullins" wrote in message
m...

Thinking about buying the Sigma DSLR. Either the SD9 or the SD10.
Is the SD10 worth the extra money? What would be the best lens to

start out with.

Oh yeah, does anyone know when that Foveon point and shoot will be

available?

If you need higher ISO settings, the SD10 is the better choice. If
you shoot at lower ISO settings as I do (I'm just a causal
photographer) than the SD9 is just fine. IMO the 50mm EX lens is a
great starting point with either camera.

Peter, always lovely to see you, but why is this xposted to alt.config?

BTW, come on by & visit us once in a while, OK?

(Sorry, I owe ya an email or 3).

--
with the blue dress, the blue dress, the blue dress...

Old June 26th 04, 03:31 PM
Georgette Preddy

"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" wrote in message t...
"Biff Mullins" wrote in message
m...

Thinking about buying the Sigma DSLR. Either the SD9 or the SD10.
Is the SD10 worth the extra money? What would be the best lens to

start out with.

Oh yeah, does anyone know when that Foveon point and shoot will be

available?

If you need higher ISO settings, the SD10 is the better choice. If
you shoot at lower ISO settings as I do (I'm just a causal
photographer) than the SD9 is just fine. IMO the 50mm EX lens is a
great starting point with either camera.

I don't know of anyone who knows anything about digital who shoots
above the lowest ISO setting.
Old June 26th 04, 03:52 PM
Phil Wheeler

Georgette Preddy wrote:

I don't know of anyone who knows anything about digital who shoots
above the lowest ISO setting.

Which simply proves that you know no one who knows anything about
digital. We already have concluded that you are in that category, Giorgio.