WTB: 2d rear extension & other discussion

Old September 30th 04, 12:30 PM
Collin Brendemuehl

Default WTB: 2d rear extension & other discussion

The 2D is in nice shape. I got the Ilex 12" mounted last night and
will try to shoot some this Sat.

My other lenses are an old Fujinon-W 210/5.6, so I'll build a board
for that lens, and a 360 APO Nikkor. The problem is my 360 APO
Nikkor. Since I don't have a rear extension it's a little difficult
to use. So I need a 2D rear extension. Who's got one?

Also ... it came with a 4x5 back in really nice shape (except of
course it has finishing nails in place of the original pins. No
ground glass either, but that's cheap so I'll get one before parting
with it. If you can put up with those, the rest is great. My debate
is: Should I sell it to fund the extension or just put out for the
extension and keep this to allow for closer 4x5 portraits (like with
the Ilex & Nikkor)? Still debating. (This weekend I'm going to a
hobby shop top look for metal suitable for pins for the 4x5 back.)

That dang Ilex is lacking something. Actually a couple of things.
Threads. And X flash sync. It's an Acme #4 shutter. Might be too
much efford/expense to add. My 58mm filter fits into the front of the
lens but falls out because it can't screw into anything. (I could try
duct tape and send a pic to Red Green, but am averse to supporting
even the best of Canadian television.) Your thoughts are welcome
regarding adding a flash sync (different shutter?) and some sort of
filter holder.

TIA,

Collin
Old September 30th 04, 03:23 PM
jjs

"Collin Brendemuehl" wrote in message
om...
The 2D is in nice shape. I got the Ilex 12" mounted last night and
will try to shoot some this Sat.

My other lenses are an old Fujinon-W 210/5.6, so I'll build a board
for that lens, and a 360 APO Nikkor. The problem is my 360 APO
Nikkor. Since I don't have a rear extension it's a little difficult
to use. So I need a 2D rear extension. Who's got one?

Collin, I am following your project with great interest. If the 2D
extension the same as the one on the Century 1, then if it were me, I'd opt
to fabricate a simpler rear extension (kluge) just for the 360 lens. The
extensions require tracks for the gear and replicating the extension is
_very hard_. I'm thinking that one could make a single-length extension for
the 360 that lets you focus using the existing front extension. (I know,
it's easier to focus the rear, but...)

Also ... it came with a 4x5 back in really nice shape (except of
course it has finishing nails in place of the original pins. No
ground glass either, but that's cheap so I'll get one before parting
with it.

That dang Ilex is lacking something. Actually a couple of things.
Threads. And X flash sync. It's an Acme #4 shutter. Might be too
much efford/expense to add.

There are releases that trip the shutter and the flash but I do not know if
they accomodate X synch. I'm thinking that Richard K. can fill us in on
that. I'd like to know.

My 58mm filter fits into the front of the
lens but falls out because it can't screw into anything.

Duct tape is okay, but real Gaffer's tape is better because it removes
without leaving stickum on the part. I have a whole set of 58mm filters
with exactly the same problem. Brand name "DKE". I thought it was a
shortcoming of the filter at first, but now I'm thinking that the lens in
question was never intended to have a screw-in filter. Kodak and others made
special wooden filter holders for some early cameras. I have one with the
original square yellow filter. There are also 'clamp on' filter holders for
such lenses in early versions, but you can get modern equivalents.

Old September 30th 04, 06:02 PM
jjs

"jjs" wrote in message
"Collin Brendemuehl" wrote in message

Collin, I am following your project with great interest. If the 2D
extension the same as the one on the Century 1, then if it were me, I'd
opt to fabricate a simpler rear extension (kluge) just for the 360 lens.
The extensions require tracks for the gear and replicating the extension
is _very hard_.

FWIW, the Century 1 that I have has the rear track matched (by ser#) to the
front.

Old October 3rd 04, 05:19 AM
DMLStar

The 2-D also had matched extension tracts. Typically there is a number on the
short base on the backside where Kodak or the manufacturer for Kodak stamped a
three digit number. People on the "*bay" sometimes offer the rear tracks. There
at least 2 types. One has 2 dowels and a center screw. The other has 2 ~3/4
inch plates just inside focusing tracks. The plates are bent up at the end of
the track and mate with female style plates on the short base. In the center
is a spring loaded key which you push and twist to lock the extension to the
short base. This type of track has a reverse groove on the track. Looking at
the short base back should tell you what type you need to look for.
In the case of the dowel type tracks one track may fit another camera as is or
the dowels made need a little sanding . Worst case is the dowels need reseting
and the holes on the base need filling and redrilling so the tracks line up
properly.
DL