Mirror slap?

Old April 1st 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
William4

Default Mirror slap?

Assuming film - dig slrs are the same in this respect (but query relates to
dslr);

When does mirror slap, or whatever it is called today, show itself.
Faster or slower shutter speeds or does it really 'all depend',
I.a. is it a pretty quick event that I might see at very high speeds and has
little impact (relatively) at low speeds,
or a slow one that might be a problem with longer exposures.

Old April 1st 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington

"William4" wrote in message
Assuming film - dig slrs are the same in this respect (but query relates
to dslr);

When does mirror slap, or whatever it is called today, show itself.
Faster or slower shutter speeds or does it really 'all depend',
I.a. is it a pretty quick event that I might see at very high speeds and
has little impact (relatively) at low speeds,
or a slow one that might be a problem with longer exposures.

With modern SLRs I don't think mirror slap is a factor to be concerned about
at any shutter speed.

Neil

Old April 1st 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Måns Rullgård

"Neil Harrington" writes:

"William4" wrote in message
Assuming film - dig slrs are the same in this respect (but query relates
to dslr);

When does mirror slap, or whatever it is called today, show itself.
Faster or slower shutter speeds or does it really 'all depend',
I.a. is it a pretty quick event that I might see at very high speeds and
has little impact (relatively) at low speeds,
or a slow one that might be a problem with longer exposures.

With modern SLRs I don't think mirror slap is a factor to be
concerned about at any shutter speed.

If that were true, modern SLRs wouldn't be needing the mirror lock-up
feature.

--
Måns Rullgård

Old April 1st 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Zen Diver

Måns Rullgård wrote:
"Neil Harrington" writes:

"William4" wrote in message
Assuming film - dig slrs are the same in this respect (but query relates
to dslr);

When does mirror slap, or whatever it is called today, show itself.
Faster or slower shutter speeds or does it really 'all depend',
I.a. is it a pretty quick event that I might see at very high speeds and
has little impact (relatively) at low speeds,
or a slow one that might be a problem with longer exposures.

With modern SLRs I don't think mirror slap is a factor to be
concerned about at any shutter speed.

If that were true, modern SLRs wouldn't be needing the mirror lock-up
feature.

You still need the mirror lock-up to clean the sensor
Old April 1st 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Måns Rullgård

Zen Diver writes:

Måns Rullgård wrote:
"Neil Harrington" writes:

"William4" wrote in message
Assuming film - dig slrs are the same in this respect (but query
relates to dslr);

When does mirror slap, or whatever it is called today, show itself.
Faster or slower shutter speeds or does it really 'all depend',
I.a. is it a pretty quick event that I might see at very high
speeds and has little impact (relatively) at low speeds,
or a slow one that might be a problem with longer exposures.
With modern SLRs I don't think mirror slap is a factor to be
concerned about at any shutter speed.

If that were true, modern SLRs wouldn't be needing the mirror lock-up
feature.

You still need the mirror lock-up to clean the sensor

It has nothing to do with sensor cleaning. For sensor cleaning the
mirror must be raised and the shutter opened. The mirror lock-up mode
raises the mirror without opening the shutter in order to allow
vibrations from the mirror to settle before the shutter is opened.
This makes a visible difference in some extreme conditions.

--
Måns Rullgård

Old April 1st 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Apr 1, 11:13 am, "William4" wrote:
Assuming film - dig slrs are the same in this respect (but query relates to
dslr);

When does mirror slap, or whatever it is called today, show itself.
Faster or slower shutter speeds or does it really 'all depend',
I.a. is it a pretty quick event that I might see at very high speeds and has
little impact (relatively) at low speeds,
or a slow one that might be a problem with longer exposures.

Mirror slap or mirror jump or mirror bounce is caused by the mirror
quickly moving upwards to get out of the way when you are taking a
picture. Under most circumstances it is noting to worry about.

However, it is a concern under two primary circumstances. First, is
for a large telephoto lens because all vibrations are magnified.
Second is long exposures, esp. with high ISO settings, because the
bounce will show and esp. cause bluriness of light sources.

Mirror lockup works better than using the timer because there is still
bounce with the time. If you are experiencing a problem with it, a
good tripod is also needed. You can also try weighing down your
tripod to add stability.

Old April 1st 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jacksonmacd

I recall reading somewhere that it's an issue at "moderately long"
exposures, say, 1/2 ~ 1/30 seconds. At faster or slower speeds, the
amount of exposure that occurs when the camera is vibrating is
negligible. However, I can't recall the reference, and I haven't
checked it out for myself.

My Nikon D80 doesn't have a mirror lockup, per se, but it has a
feature that delays the shutter release for 0.4 seconds. I presume
that Nikon's engineers had some reason for implementing it that way...

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 15:13:52 GMT, "William4" wrote:

Assuming film - dig slrs are the same in this respect (but query relates to
dslr);

When does mirror slap, or whatever it is called today, show itself.
Faster or slower shutter speeds or does it really 'all depend',
I.a. is it a pretty quick event that I might see at very high speeds and has
little impact (relatively) at low speeds,
or a slow one that might be a problem with longer exposures.

--

remove uppercase letters for true email
http://www.geocities.com/jacksonmacd/ for info on MS Access security
Old April 1st 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Neil Harrington wrote:
"William4" wrote in message

Assuming film - dig slrs are the same in this respect (but query relates
to dslr);

When does mirror slap, or whatever it is called today, show itself.
Faster or slower shutter speeds or does it really 'all depend',
I.a. is it a pretty quick event that I might see at very high speeds and
has little impact (relatively) at low speeds,
or a slow one that might be a problem with longer exposures.

With modern SLRs I don't think mirror slap is a factor to be concerned about
at any shutter speed.

Neil

Au Contraire!
When mounted on a telescope for astro photography, Mirror Slap will wipe
you out.
Bob Williams

Old April 1st 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article , Bob Williams
wrote:

Neil Harrington wrote:
"William4" wrote in message

Assuming film - dig slrs are the same in this respect (but query relates
to dslr);

When does mirror slap, or whatever it is called today, show itself.
Faster or slower shutter speeds or does it really 'all depend',
I.a. is it a pretty quick event that I might see at very high speeds and
has little impact (relatively) at low speeds,
or a slow one that might be a problem with longer exposures.

With modern SLRs I don't think mirror slap is a factor to be concerned about
at any shutter speed.

Neil

Au Contraire!
When mounted on a telescope for astro photography, Mirror Slap will wipe
you out.
Bob Williams

Also, why would it not affect "modern" SLRs? It's a mechanical
vibration caused by a mechanical movement of a mechanical part - and
always has been.

AAMoF, I just experienced this last night - I was taking some long
shots (with a 500mm lens, non-stabilized) of a the Gray's harbor
Lighthouse at dusk/after dark. I had to use mirror lockup, because the
mirror caused enough loss of sharpness that it was easily seen at
normal viewing size on the rear LCD panel (didn't even have to zoom)
after the shot. Using lockup, the vibrations went away and I had no
problem.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old April 2nd 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Sheehy

Måns Rullgård wrote in
:

"Neil Harrington" writes:

With modern SLRs I don't think mirror slap is a factor to be
concerned about at any shutter speed.

If that were true, modern SLRs wouldn't be needing the mirror lock-up
feature.

.... and I wouldn't have to compose 1/2 frame too low when using my 100-400
IS with 2x worth of TCs.

--

John P Sheehy