looking for software to flip through jpegs set to music

Old July 30th 04, 12:18 AM
Colin Gladwish

Default looking for software to flip through jpegs set to music

Hi Everyone,

In the fall my company hosts a conference for our 750 or so salespeople. I
spend 5 days shooting the events, and on the last day we like to show a
slideshow set to the conference theme music. We had a professional do the
slideshow last year, and her results were...well...horrible.

I'm looking for an easy to use piece of PC software (I don't mind paying
for it if it works) that I can insert the .mp3 or a .wav (or whatever),
and then simply drap and drop a bunch (150, 200, or whatever number) of
shots I've taken and have the software do a mix of wipes and fades etc.
between the shots, each for the appropriate length of time for the music
track. We'll then run it through the AV setup and project it on the
screens in the conference rooms.

Any suggestions? The time I've got to put this slideshow together is very
limited - the keynote address ends only an hour before the closing so the
software has to do most of the work.

Any yes, all you Macintosh fans out there, I know there is an app in the
Mac world that does exactly this...

Thanks for the help, oh collective wisdom of the internet.

Colin Gladwish
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Old July 30th 04, 01:25 AM
Robert Lethbridge

I know studio 8, now latest version 9, does this, as I've put scanned slides
onto it with background music and various fades etc then burnt onto dvd.

. 81.119...

Old July 30th 04, 01:55 AM
Terry

Colin Gladwish wrote:

[...]

There are a good many apps that can do this.

An easy to use package is proshow or proshow gold
(http://www.photodex.com/products/proshow/). Since you don't want to
do zoom and pan across the images, nor do you need DVD output, I think
you can get away with the less expensive proshow. You can order the
slides as you want, or have it randomize them. You can choose your
transitions, or have it randomize them. You can set the timing, or
have it adjust the timing to match your audio.

You could also try Myalbum (http:www.myalbumpro.com). One advantage of
MyAlbum is that it is freewarre. The current version is 2.3 and does
not support transitions between slides. But the current beta of 2.4 is
quite stable, and does do transitions. You might try emailing the
author and asking him if you could use the beta. The slide time is
adjustable, but the transition time is fixed (not a problem in my
opinion). I don't remember if it has randomizing for the slides and/or
transitions, and I am not currently where I can test this.

Given your time constraints, you should practice and perhaps develop a
written script or checklist of what you want to do. But if you have
used the package before, an hour should be more than enough time to
put this together. Actually, I just re-read your message, and it's not
clear how much time you have to do this. Anyway, it sounds like you
can do much of the work as you go, because you can add the slides to
the presentation and import the wav music ahead of time. When you're
ready to go, you just need to adjust the time, and start the
presentation.

HTH,

Terry

Old July 30th 04, 12:10 PM
Colin Gladwish

Terry wrote in
news
Colin Gladwish wrote:

[...]

Thank you Terry, that's exactly the feedback I was looking for. I
actually have the entire conference to work on the project, but only
about an hour on the last day to finalize things after importing the
last slides. As this is a corporate event, and the company is paying
for the software, I'll likely try the proshow as you suggest.
Thanks ever so much for your suggestions.
Colin

Old July 31st 04, 03:54 AM
Jim Polaski

In article 19,
Colin Gladwish wrote:

Terry wrote in
news
Colin Gladwish wrote:

[...]

If you know someone with a newer Mac, the iLife suite can do this with
no trouble and write your file to a movie if you want. iPhoto does slide
shows and you can put music to them as well. Multimedia is really the
home turf of Macintosh.

JP
"The measure of a man is what he will do
while expecting that he will get nothing in return!"

Old August 2nd 04, 02:58 PM
Marvin Margoshes

[...]

I use Paint Shop Photo Album. I haven't put in sound, but it has the
capability. You can try it free with a download from www.jasc.com.