Transfering Files from Kodak Easyshare Camera

Old January 12th 05, 04:45 AM
Steve H

Default Transfering Files from Kodak Easyshare Camera

To All:

I am helping a friend transfer files from a Kodak Easyshare DX6340 to a
laptop running WinXP SP1. On my PC, after using both the Canon and
Nikon file transfer software, I decided that it was much easier to just
use Windows Explorer for camera-to-computer file transfers.

Someone else installed the Easyshare software on my friends laptop so it
defaults to using the Easyshare software when plugging in the camera and
powering it up. The Easyshare software seems VERY slow and COMPLICATED
compared to using Windows Explorer. When attempting to use Windows
Explorer I am getting error about maxing out the memory (with 512 MB
installed).

So the questions a

1) How do I disable the Easyshare software so that I can use Windows
Explorer to transfer the files?

2) Where are the "album files" (not the JPG files) that were previously
created stored on the laptop?

Thank you,

Steve
Old January 12th 05, 06:28 AM
Steve H

Hap Shaughnessy wrote:
Steve H:

I must assume it's the same for WinXP as it is for Win98se.

Yes. Kodak EasyShare software can be a PITA. Besides image transfers
from a Kodak digital camera it will launch itself for any kind of CD
whether it be a game, music, etc. looking for a Kodak Picture CD.

Here's how I disabled it.

1) Go to Start button ... Run ... type msconfig.exe ... startup tab
... uncheck Kodak Easyshare software.

"C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe" -h
is the culprit that loads the software into the taskbar tray. Note: In
the MsConfig system tool that path will show in DOS 8.3 format.

After reboot on my Win98se box a "Disabled Startup Items" folder is
created. From there I can run the EasyShare software at will only when
I want to transfer photos from my camera.

2) C:\Program files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\Catalog.

By deleting the 4 files found the catalogs can be cleaned out and
rebuilt by hand. That's what I'm goping to do from now on after
checking into your question. After burning a CD it's another PITA
removing old catalog entries one by one from within the Easyshare
interface. No select all / remove all albums. Grrr.

The 4 files a

2 catalogs ... EasyShare.me & EasyShare.mm

2 backup files ... ESBK.mb & ESBK.mbb

Copy all to a temp folder or rename files [ ie: ESBK.mbb_ ] to see if
it works okay for you before cleaning it out.

The only reason Kodak Easyshare lives over here is because it is
handier leaving the SD memory card in the camera rather than using my
SanDisk SD card reader and I can get at my DX7440's 32 Mbs of internal
memory.

Once I upgrade to WinXP 64-bit it's outta here forever.

ACDSee has been my software of choice for years to manage my image
files and oftentimes as a Windows Explorer file manager replacement.

Last: Spybot Search & Destroy helped me get rid of their Backweb crap
installed behind my back without my permission. I don't need any more
garbage running in the background than necessary just to notify me of
new software updates that are far and few between.

Hope this helps,

Hap

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:45:55 -0700, Steve H
wrote:

[...]

Hap:

Thanks for the info.

I was going to run msconfig to check for unnecessary startup items but
we were running out of time. My friend has a new laptop and I usually
like to run msconfig on new computers to clean up the startup junk.

Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!

On my PC's at home and at work running Win9x, Win2000 and WinXP, I
usually use Windows Explorer and either the camera or a card reader to
copy the files over. I have written a simple DOS batch file for
cataloging my files once I copy them over to the PC and use IrfanView
for reviewing the files.

So you even recommend running Spybot S&D. Is Easyshare really that bad?

Thanks,

Steve
Old January 12th 05, 09:02 AM
Ron Hunter

wrote:

[...]

Bad? As a picture transfer and cataloging program, it is mediocre at
best. As a tool for computer illerates who want to push one button and
have their images transferred from the camera to the computer, it is
great. It seems the major complaint is from users who have moderate to
expert knowledge of computing, and don't want the overhead, and
interference with their usual operating procedures. For anyone with
more than novice computer experience, I would recommend NOT installing
Easyshare, except for the camera connection software for those using
computers with Windows Me and earlier.

I don't imply that Kodak is trying to do anything other than serve their
customers as well as they can, which is evidenced by their
representatives who regularly participate in this newsgroup, but Backweb
is probably the wrong tool for the purpose.

--
Ron Hunter
Old January 12th 05, 02:29 PM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

SNIP
For anyone with more than novice computer experience, I would recommend
NOT installing Easyshare, except for the camera connection software for
those using computers with Windows Me and earlier.

My card reader came with driver software to use with OS earlier than XP so
even for Me and earlier you don't need Easyshare.

Gerrit