GE throws its 12x D/C hat in the ring...

Old March 9th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default GE throws its 12x D/C hat in the ring...

http://www.general-imaging.com/cameras/x/x1.html

How much coin?

Will it outperform the new Kodak Z712IS?

Kinga 202

Old March 10th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nsag

I am kind of mystified as to why marketers think branding a camera with name
rented from a non-photographic company will be a selling point, independent
of any virtues this me-too camera might possess. Next up, the IBM camera, as
IBM has a long tradition of renting its name out to other manufacturers for
products like copier paper.

Old March 10th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Du_Hicky

wrote:
http://www.general-imaging.com/cameras/x/x1.html

How much coin?

Will it outperform the new Kodak Z712IS?

Kinga 202

If it doesn't match or outperform a Kodak it sure wont be much
competition for the Panasonic and Cannon ultra zooms.
Old March 10th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:38:05 -0800, wrote:

http://www.general-imaging.com/cameras/x/x1.html

How much coin?

Will it outperform the new Kodak Z712IS?

Kinga 202

One thing I note: it only saves jpeg. The Kodak P series does raw, tiff,
jpeg.

Old March 11th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

" wrote:

http://www.general-imaging.com/cameras/x/x1.html

How much coin?

Hello, Kinga 202:

The General Electric X1 will list at $399 USD, apparently.

Will it outperform the new Kodak Z712IS?

Kinga 202

I think that the X1 is a beautiful, elegant camera! It bears a
strong resemblance to my Kodak P850 cupcake, in fact.

If looks mean anything, at least, the revered GE name and logo
should help to sell a lot of digicams, in the future.

Cordially,
John Turco
Old March 11th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Du_Hicky wrote:

wrote:
http://www.general-imaging.com/cameras/x/x1.html

How much coin?

Will it outperform the new Kodak Z712IS?

Kinga 202

If it doesn't match or outperform a Kodak it sure wont be much
competition for the Panasonic and Cannon ultra zooms.

Hello, Du_Hicky:

Ouit repeating tired myths, please! Kodak's splendid "super zoom" models
are quite comparable with those of any other company.

Besides, during 2006, Kodak easily beat Panasonic, in U.S. camera sales
(16% vs 3%, market share.)

Cordially,
John Turco
Old March 11th 07, 07:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
http://www.general-imaging.com/cameras/x/x1.html

How much coin?

Will it outperform the new Kodak Z712IS?

Kinga 202

It does not come with a liquid nitrogen canister for cooling the tiny 1/2.5"
but 8 Megapixel sensor, so its 1600 ISO setting is probably useful only for
marketing literature (or noise lovers if there are any out there). Before
anyone has tested it, no one can say if the lens provides the resolution
necessary for 8 Megapixels. There are already enough digital cameras with 8
or 10 Megapixels on the market whose image files contain enought detail for
a 3 Megapixel picture, some even worse at high ISO settings.

The front element of the lens appears to move in and out, there seems to be
no filter thread, which means an adapter tube (not included) is needed if
you want to use a filter or accessory lens. It boasts a few pretty useless
low cost firmware features like in camera panorama stitching and face
recogniton and hefty digital zooming, designed to impress absolute
beginners.

To me it looks more like a "me too product" than anything revolutionary, the
pricing will have to be very competitive to convince customers with a little
knowledge to consider it.

Old March 11th 07, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 11 Mar 2007 00:46:57 -0800, the kinga202 SPAM_bot wrote:

Did/nt GE "steal" all the Olympus staff and engineers?

GE doesn't "steal" people in the sense that you're talking about.
They place calls to those that they've seeded in the right positions
and voila - extraordinary rendition does its stuff!

I want a 12x slr type [regardless of brand] fitted with a Foveon X3
sensor, its *light* years better than whats around, why does not
anybody esle use it?

There aren't enough gullible consumers to justify the development
cost?

Maybe Sigma should make it?

Maybe Sigma has already tried and has given up?

In the end it doesn't really matter. If anyone produced the "12x
slr type", fitted with a Foveon X3 sensor and you bought one, within
days you'd be posting messages asking why other, better cameras
aren't being produced. When it comes to production, I think that
you're less about photo production than message production.

Old March 11th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On 3ÔÂ10ÈÕ, ÉÏÎç8ʱ46·Ö, "nsag" wrote:
I am kind of mystified as to why marketers think branding a camera with name
rented from a non-photographic company will be a selling point, independent
of any virtues this me-too camera might possess. Next up, the IBM camera, as
IBM has a long tradition of renting its name out to other manufacturers for
products like copier paper.

Good!
http://fy4.net/03.htm