Buying in the USA

Old November 16th 04, 08:21 PM
daveo 56

Default Buying in the USA

Hi I will be travelling to Florida from the UK soon & was thinking of
buying a fairly basic digital camera over there. Apart from possible
warranty problems can any of you good folks think of any reasons why
this might be a bad idea?
....thanks....
Old November 16th 04, 08:27 PM
Alan

"daveo 56" wrote in message
om...
Hi I will be travelling to Florida from the UK soon & was thinking of
buying a fairly basic digital camera over there. Apart from possible
warranty problems can any of you good folks think of any reasons why
this might be a bad idea?
...thanks....

Only thing I can think of is some jobsworth Customs bloke getting on his
high horse .. bear in mind if there's any electrical bits with it you'll
need a voltage converter thingymajig when you get back .. apart from that go
for it !!! you usually get more for your money buying out there so you'll
probably end up with a little more than a "fairly basic" model

Al

Old November 17th 04, 01:45 PM
Robert Klemme

"Gisle Hannemyr" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"Alan" writes:

bear in mind if there's any electrical bits with it you'll need a
voltage converter thingymajig when you get back

I haven't seen a charger that is /not/ labeled "110-240 volts" in
ages. Modern electronics are designed so that one size fits the
entire world.

.... apart from the plug maybe.

Another advice: I'd try to check out prices beforehand so you get a good
judgement whether it's a good buy or not. Also note that US price tags
usually go without tax, which is different from what we do over here (at
least in Germany, but I believe it's the same for other european
countries).

Kind regards

robert

Old November 17th 04, 08:42 PM
zach

"Alan" wrote in message ...
"daveo 56" wrote in message
om...
Hi I will be travelling to Florida from the UK soon & was thinking of
buying a fairly basic digital camera over there. Apart from possible
warranty problems can any of you good folks think of any reasons why
this might be a bad idea?
...thanks....

Only thing I can think of is some jobsworth Customs bloke getting on his
high horse .. bear in mind if there's any electrical bits with it you'll
need a voltage converter thingymajig when you get back .. apart from that go
for it !!! you usually get more for your money buying out there so you'll
probably end up with a little more than a "fairly basic" model

Do you plug your digital camera into the wall outlet?
Old November 18th 04, 07:22 AM
JohanE

"Gisle Hannemyr" wrote in message
"Alan" writes:

bear in mind if there's any electrical bits with it you'll need a
voltage converter thingymajig when you get back

I haven't seen a charger that is /not/ labeled "110-240 volts" in
ages. Modern electronics are designed so that one size fits the
entire world.

For equipment bought in Europe, that is usually correct. When you get one in
the US, my experience is you get a *110V only* most of the time.....

JohanE

Old November 18th 04, 10:11 AM
Charles

In article , JohanE wrote:

For equipment bought in Europe, that is usually correct. When you get one in
the US, my experience is you get a *110V only* most of the time.....

My experience is that you get a 110-240 volt charger. I just got a
Canon SD-300 Digital Elph a few days ago (IXUS 40 in Europe). It came
with a 110-240v.

--
Charles