How to recover a photo I was forced to delete

Old June 8th 14, 06:15 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default How to recover a photo I was forced to delete

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

This won't help with getting old photos back, but to prepare for such
situations in the future you could install dropbox or similar cloud
storage app that can send all camera pics to the cloud immediately. So
even if you delete from phone, it's still there in the cloud. By default
the saved camera pics on dropbox are private to the owner (you).

Be careful of using up your data plan if you take a lot of pics though...

yet another useful aspect of the cloud.

How do you get to the cloud without using your data plan from a mobile
phone?

wifi.

however, that's just how it gets to the cloud. the useful aspect, which
you missed, is that photos are backed up instantly.
Old June 8th 14, 06:15 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

You cannot treaspass going into a store during opening hours

Actually you can.

not *just* by going to the store. otherwise every patron would be a
trespasser.

Never heard of a "Trespass Warning"? Once served with that, or your
name is posted, you are trespassing for just entering the store.

The term may be a different one in different jurisdictions, but it's
commonly done by a store or business when a person has shoplifted or
caused a disturbance in a prior incident.

that's my point.

normal patrons are not trespassing simply by visiting a store.
otherwise the store could not stay in business.

however, if asked to leave and you don't, then you're trespassing, and
actually they don't have to ask, although they generally will.
Old June 8th 14, 06:15 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

We are still only hearing the OP's side of the story. He claims they
failed his vehicle, when he believes it should have passed. We have not
heard from the testing facility.

True, but an "inappropriate action" need not have been anything to do
with the testing procedure. If the OP failed the test and complained
about it, and the technician gave him the finger, that would be an
inappropriate action.

that would be something of which he would want a photo, because that is
unacceptable.
Old June 8th 14, 06:15 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-06-08 04:42:16 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 14:03:42 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Joe Beanfish
wrote:

This won't help with getting old photos back, but to prepare for such
situations in the future you could install dropbox or similar cloud
storage app that can send all camera pics to the cloud immediately. So
even if you delete from phone, it's still there in the cloud. By default
the saved camera pics on dropbox are private to the owner (you).

Be careful of using up your data plan if you take a lot of pics though...

yet another useful aspect of the cloud.

How do you get to the cloud without using your data plan from a mobile
phone?

WiFi hotspot.

Savageduck

Old June 8th 14, 06:19 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-06-08 05:01:19 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 21:51:22 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-06-08 04:36:56 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 14:03:39 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

the fact that they 'made' him delete something tells me they want to
hide whatever it was that he saw and because it could turn out bad for
them. otherwise, why would they care?

That is conjecture on our part. Regardless the evidence captured in
that photograph is for now unavailable. To my suspicious mind there is
more to this story than the OP is telling us, and I have a feeling he
arrived at the Referee Smog Station with a problem vehicle and an
attitude.

My guess too: attitude. One of those incidents escalated by
attitude.

he later said one emissions readiness monitor was not ready which is
not enough to fail. if they still failed him, then he's right and they
(and you) are wrong.

Being right about qualifying to pass the test is a completely
different subject. What is at issue here is what the OP, and the BAR
employee, did in the process. What the "inappropriate" action was has
not been explained.

based on what he posted, they failed him when it should have passed.

That's not an inappropriate action. There may have been a mistake,
but that's not an inappropriate action.

We are still only hearing the OP's side of the story. He claims they
failed his vehicle, when he believes it should have passed. We have not
heard from the testing facility.

True, but an "inappropriate action" need not have been anything to do
with the testing procedure. If the OP failed the test and complained
about it, and the technician gave him the finger, that would be an
inappropriate action.

So far the only person who has mentioned "inappropriate action" has
been nospam.

Savageduck

Old June 8th 14, 06:25 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

We are still only hearing the OP's side of the story. He claims they
failed his vehicle, when he believes it should have passed. We have not
heard from the testing facility.

True, but an "inappropriate action" need not have been anything to do
with the testing procedure. If the OP failed the test and complained
about it, and the technician gave him the finger, that would be an
inappropriate action.

So far the only person who has mentioned "inappropriate action" has
been nospam.

the original poster claimed he saw an inappropriate action and
photographed it.

In article , Silent Knight
wrote:

I took a picture at the bar referee smog station of what I consider
an inappropriate action but the employee there made me delete it
in his presence because, he said, it's against bar policy.

I want to complain to the California BAR but I want that picture
back. It's an Android 4.3 Samsung Galaxy S3 with an SD card.

I used the default "Camera" app.
I have Ubuntu linux.

Is there a way to get the photo back?

Old June 8th 14, 07:28 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-06-08 05:25:03 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

We are still only hearing the OP's side of the story. He claims they
failed his vehicle, when he believes it should have passed. We have not
heard from the testing facility.

True, but an "inappropriate action" need not have been anything to do
with the testing procedure. If the OP failed the test and complained
about it, and the technician gave him the finger, that would be an
inappropriate action.

So far the only person who has mentioned "inappropriate action" has
been nospam.

the original poster claimed he saw an inappropriate action and
photographed it.

OK! He considered it an inappropriate action, that was his opinion.
The real inappropriate action was making the OP delete the shot.

....and I guess you weren't the only person to mention "inappropriate
action". I extend my apologies.

Old June 8th 14, 04:23 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Aragorn

On Sunday 08 June 2014 17:03, Tony Cooper conveyed the following to
alt.comp.os.linux...

On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 22:19:14 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

So far the only person who has mentioned "inappropriate action" has
been nospam.

It was the OP's reason stated for taking the photo.

It's the phrase that stood out when I read it. If the right machines
were not hooked up, or something was done incorrectly, I'd expect the
reason for the photo to be taken would be to show that. "He made me
delete a photo of the test being done without the whatsis connected",
for example.

The word "inappropriate" is usually used to describe something a
person does like give someone the finger, touch someone where they
shouldn't be touched, or behaved in some unacceptable manner.

It's an odd usage in this context if the complaint was about a test
being administered incorrectly.

Even though the OP's use of "BAR" had me confused, what I construed as
"an inappropriate action" was someone accepting money from someone else,
e.g. in exchange for a beneficial verdict on his vehicle.

Over here in Belgium, all vehicles have to be checked annually at an
official inspection center as of the year that they turn four years old,
and from the first year of acquisition onward for used vehicles and
vehicles which are partially or fully registered to a business activity.

Apart from emissions testing, the inspection also covers the legality of
the vehicle (i.e. correct chassis number and engine number, correct
registration) as well as the chassis (suspension, steering, brakes), the
vehicle's integrity (rust or other damage which may pose danger to the
road-holding capabilities of the vehicle or which may endanger other
traffic participants), the proper functioning of the headlights
(including alignment), tail lights, brake lights, rear fog lamp(s),
windscreen wipers and washers, and the seat belts.

In the past, some people would tip the people carrying out the
inspection. As of a number of years ago, doing so has become explicitly
forbidden by law, because the tips could be construed as a bribe to let
a vehicle pass which would otherwise not make it through the tests.

--
= Aragorn =

http://www.linuxcounter.net - registrant #223157
Old June 8th 14, 04:44 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

This won't help with getting old photos back, but to prepare for such
situations in the future you could install dropbox or similar cloud
storage app that can send all camera pics to the cloud immediately. So
even if you delete from phone, it's still there in the cloud. By default
the saved camera pics on dropbox are private to the owner (you).

Be careful of using up your data plan if you take a lot of pics though...

yet another useful aspect of the cloud.

How do you get to the cloud without using your data plan from a mobile
phone?

WiFi hotspot.

The point made was that images could be sent to the cloud immediately,
and it was pointed out that this can use data plan minutes.

data plans do not have minutes.

If you are in a hotspot, fine and dandy. If not, you do use data plan
minutes.

nobody said otherwise.

If you wait until you are in a hotspot, you lose some of the
protection of the immediate back-up.

nope. it's deferred and the user won't even notice. not a big deal.
Old June 8th 14, 04:44 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

This won't help with getting old photos back, but to prepare for such
situations in the future you could install dropbox or similar cloud
storage app that can send all camera pics to the cloud immediately. So
even if you delete from phone, it's still there in the cloud. By default
the saved camera pics on dropbox are private to the owner (you).

Be careful of using up your data plan if you take a lot of pics
though...

yet another useful aspect of the cloud.

How do you get to the cloud without using your data plan from a mobile
phone?

wifi.

however, that's just how it gets to the cloud. the useful aspect, which
you missed, is that photos are backed up instantly.

And what you seem to have missed is that if you back them up
instantly, and are not in a hotspot, you are using your data plan.

of course it does. nobody said otherwise.

you are *completely* missing the point.