Sinar 4x5 - worth?

Old March 22nd 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

Default Sinar 4x5 - worth?

Try to get a more exact list.

I sure can't tell much from the picture but if the
Rodenstock is the Ysaron it's not worth much, it's the one
that Polaroid sold for the copy system and may not even
cover 4x5 at infinity.

Film holders? $5-10 bucks each unless new in box. (They
don't look that good in the picture.)

Polaroid holder is the older style.

And the big question: do you need this camera or just want
a 4x5, if you have a specific task for a monorail camera and
can get this for the right price, go for it. If you just
want to play with 4x5 look to a Pacemaker Graphic or Calumet.

darkroommike

Alan Browne wrote:

What would a Sinar 4x5 with Rodenstock 105mm f/4.5, polaroid back and 9
negative holders be worth?

http://www.lespac.com/picturebig.php...4179&o=8704205

Reported to be in "good condition".

Thanks,
Alan

Old March 25th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Alan Browne

Pudentame wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Pudentame wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

What would a Sinar 4x5 with Rodenstock 105mm f/4.5, polaroid back
and 9 negative holders be worth?

http://www.lespac.com/picturebig.php...4179&o=8704205

Reported to be in "good condition".

Looks like a F1 w/lensboard ... can't see if the back is there,
although I would assume it is (and I'd verify that with the seller).

Camera $300 - $650
Lens $100 - $200
Polaroid Back $50 - $75
9 holders $100 - $150

Total: $550 - $1075

I'd say near the lower end of the range is more reasonable. I'm sure
the seller would prefer the upper end. ;-D

Thanks. He says it's "ready to work with", so I assume the back is
there.

He's asking $750 CAD. So seems reasonable. I'll cogitate a bit on that.

I just have to find out who can develop 4x5 E-6 for me. If I have to
go all the way downtown or do it myself, I doubt that I'd go for it.
Also just bought a Nikon 9000 ED ... which these won't go into...

Cheers,
Alan

Well, I was quoting prices in US dollars, so if he's asking $750 CAD,
you probably oughta' jump on it, even if you do have to go all the way
downtown to get 4x5 E6 processed.

The CAD$ is only 15% off the US$ so no big deal.

You have no idea what parking is like around the two areas where the
labs can do LF E-6!

I'm not sure I'm all that fired up to try LF anyway. I can rent a
Horseman and find out I suppose...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old March 26th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Bandicoot

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Pudentame wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Pudentame wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

If you rent the Horseman, you may well find that you do want to try LF, but
not with the Sinar. My - not necessarily mainstream - view is that the
Sinars are cart-horses: they can work hard all day, maybe not be treated all
that well, and never complain. The Horseman, like my Arcas, is more of a
thouroughbred: lighter, faster, and, while still very tough, they will
probably break if you back your car over them...

Peter

Old March 29th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Pudentame

Richard Knoppow wrote:

Also, find out which Polaroid back this is, if its the
original #500 its virtually worthless. If a #545 or 545i its
worth the price stated.
What kind of film holders? $10 each is OK for modern
holders in good condition.

The Polaroid looks like it might be a 500 back, although I'd dispute a
500 back is worthless. It does take more work to use one without messing
things up, but it's not worthless..

The film holders look like (at least some are) the newer style Fidelity
holders with plastic dark slides.