Why Are These Photos Out Of Focus II

Old March 4th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pooua

Default Why Are These Photos Out Of Focus II

I have been trying for a few years to get a sharp focus on my photos,
but it is rare that I succeed. Here are some recent samples from last
night. All shots were taken with a Canon 20D, a Canon 20 mm singlet,
mounted on a Velbon carbon fiber tripod, aperture mode set to 4.5,
exposure brackting centered around an offset of -1.3. There was
essentially no wind. Autofocus was used in each case. Only the 3rd
photo used the flash (in aperture mode).

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...ztPQLC0300.jpg

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...Xf5IPf0300.jpg

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...LYXKOf0300.jpg

http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/da...vJTZO00300.jpg

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...zOTk4d0300.jpg
Old March 5th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Dobony[_3_]

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 15:30:38 -0800 (PST), Pooua wrote:

I have been trying for a few years to get a sharp focus on my photos,
but it is rare that I succeed. Here are some recent samples from last
night. All shots were taken with a Canon 20D, a Canon 20 mm singlet,
mounted on a Velbon carbon fiber tripod, aperture mode set to 4.5,
exposure brackting centered around an offset of -1.3. There was
essentially no wind. Autofocus was used in each case. Only the 3rd
photo used the flash (in aperture mode).

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...ztPQLC0300.jpg

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...Xf5IPf0300.jpg

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...LYXKOf0300.jpg

http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/da...vJTZO00300.jpg

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...zOTk4d0300.jpg

What were you focusing on? Seems to me that the camera couldn't figure it
out because the object was not large enough to fill the focal point sensor.
I would have used manual focus on these shots.
Old March 5th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pooua

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...6F/F6/8E/BA/RT...

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...6F/F6/8E/BA/Av...

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...7B/04/1B/30/W6...

http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/da...6F/3C/45/0B/sk...

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...57/A3/99/97/BI...

What were you focusing on? *Seems to me that the camera couldn't figure it
out because the object was not large enough to fill the focal point sensor..
I would have used manual focus on these shots. *

I know the camera picked up the object, because the red square flashed
when I pressed the focus button half-way. What is more, the Canon 20D
WON'T snap the picture in autofocus mode if it doesn't have a focus
lock on an object.

Considering that the foreground object in several of these photos
fills most of the frame, I am left wondering what leads you to believe
the objects were not large enough?
Old March 5th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Pooua wrote:
I have been trying for a few years to get a sharp focus on my photos,
but it is rare that I succeed. Here are some recent samples from last
night. All shots were taken with a Canon 20D, a Canon 20 mm singlet,
mounted on a Velbon carbon fiber tripod, aperture mode set to 4.5,
exposure brackting centered around an offset of -1.3. There was
essentially no wind. Autofocus was used in each case. Only the 3rd
photo used the flash (in aperture mode).

Tsk. Nighttime shots are always tricky. In these it looks like the
camera focused on the lights in the distance.

What I have done is select the center AF sensor, point the camera at
the object I want in focus, get focus lock, turn off the AF switch on
the lens, reframe, and then expose. Stopping down to f8, if feasable,
is also a good idea.

--
Ray Fischer

Old March 5th 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob AZ

On Mar 4, 4:30�pm, Pooua wrote:
I have been trying for a few years to get a sharp focus on my photos,
but it is rare that I succeed.

I had the same problem early on with my 20D. Turned out to be in the
Sharpening setting under the Procesing Parameters menu. I set mine on
the first setting above the middle setting. Page 58-59 in ther
manual.

Bob AZ
Old March 5th 08, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Pooua wrote:
I have been trying for a few years to get a sharp focus on my photos,
but it is rare that I succeed. Here are some recent samples from last
night. All shots were taken with a Canon 20D, a Canon 20 mm singlet,
mounted on a Velbon carbon fiber tripod, aperture mode set to 4.5,
exposure brackting centered around an offset of -1.3. There was
essentially no wind. Autofocus was used in each case. Only the 3rd
photo used the flash (in aperture mode).

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...ztPQLC0300.jpg

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...Xf5IPf0300.jpg

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...LYXKOf0300.jpg

http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/da...vJTZO00300.jpg

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...zOTk4d0300.jpg

It would be easier to help you if you wouldn't strip the EXIF
information from the uploaded images. Have you tried manual focus to
see if the autofocus is at fault?
Old March 5th 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Mar 5, 9:30 am, Pooua wrote:
I have been trying for a few years to get a sharp focus on my photos,
but it is rare that I succeed. Here are some recent samples from last
night. All shots were taken with a Canon 20D, a Canon 20 mm singlet,
mounted on a Velbon carbon fiber tripod, aperture mode set to 4.5,
exposure brackting centered around an offset of -1.3. There was
essentially no wind. Autofocus was used in each case. Only the 3rd
photo used the flash (in aperture mode).

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...6F/F6/8E/BA/RT...

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...6F/F6/8E/BA/Av...

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...7B/04/1B/30/W6...

http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/da...6F/3C/45/0B/sk...

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...57/A3/99/97/BI...

Just a coupla questions..

More details about the "Canon 20mm singlet", please?

Does this apply to other lenses, in daylight shooting?

Can you not post larger images with EXIF?
Old March 5th 08, 09:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marcin[_4_]

It looks like "back focus".
check the lens in service or try to take some photos with manual and auto
focus in the same conditions,
and next compare the results.
read this
http://photo.net/learn/focustest/
or
http://photo.net/learn/focustest/

Best wishes
Martin
www.gorgolewski.com

Old March 5th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GregS[_3_]

In article , Pooua wrote:
I have been trying for a few years to get a sharp focus on my photos,
but it is rare that I succeed. Here are some recent samples from last
night. All shots were taken with a Canon 20D, a Canon 20 mm singlet,
mounted on a Velbon carbon fiber tripod, aperture mode set to 4.5,
exposure brackting centered around an offset of -1.3. There was
essentially no wind. Autofocus was used in each case. Only the 3rd
photo used the flash (in aperture mode).

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...A/RTOzZ8Vqh+Pe
3HpkCZxcc6DftdztPQLC0300.jpg

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...A/AvKuAwRefxHJ
--LkvZdwRFoBhRXf5IPf0300.jpg

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/da...0/W6AWMeP0woKN
XSyr7Y6OtFRidCLYXKOf0300.jpg

http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/da...B/skezvywwKVMi
ai5UdWeMvarvPDvJTZO00300.jpg

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/da...7/BILTKOdmHgYo
x+1dSBSMr-46gJzOTk4d0300.jpg

I am curious about the first art design. Any information on artist or
location?

greg
Old March 7th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pooua

On Mar 5, 2:33 am, Ron Hunter wrote:
Pooua wrote:
[...]

I don't strip the EXIF info from my photos. That happens somewhere
along the line of processing the image in Adobe Elements and uploading
it to AOL. I think that AOL is stripping it, but I've seen the same
thing at other photo hosting sites.