Synchronizing several identical strobes

Old April 7th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob AZ

Default Synchronizing several identical strobes

I need to synchronize 4 flashes. Infared, Optical and radio not
allowed. Just wire or sync cord connections. Too much interference
from others and other things. So wire is the only option.

Will my Canon 40D handle 4 flashes. Sync voltage on the strobe is 3.6
volts DC. Flashes are all the same - Interfit 150s. I can do the
wiring etc with no problem. Will a diode in series with each sync
lead, to avoid loading problems, be OK?

I should know all this stuff but have never needed to flash 4 flashes
using just cables/wire.

Thanks in advance
Bob AZ
Old April 7th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
I need to synchronize 4 flashes. Infared, Optical and radio not
allowed. Just wire or sync cord connections. Too much interference
from others and other things. So wire is the only option.

Will my Canon 40D handle 4 flashes. Sync voltage on the strobe is 3.6
volts DC. Flashes are all the same - Interfit 150s. I can do the
wiring etc with no problem. Will a diode in series with each sync
lead, to avoid loading problems, be OK?

I should know all this stuff but have never needed to flash 4 flashes
using just cables/wire.

Thanks in advance
Bob AZ

Are you wiring all four flashes? Or, will one of them be on the camera?

Take Care,
Dudley

Old April 8th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob AZ

Are you wiring all four flashes? �Or, will one of them be on the camera?

Take Care,
Dudley

Dudley

Wiring all 4 flashes. IR and radio is not an option. To many other
folks with flashes and radio transmitters/receivers.

Maybe a flash on the camera. The flash on the camera is helpful but
too many things interfere with the light path. Thus the 4 Interfit
150WS flashes.

The Interfit flashes have a DC level of 3.6V. Wih the power off I
measure a 2.7 Megohm resistance one way and open the other way.
Indicating to me a diode in series with the input or a transistor
input. I asked Interfit about this but they did not address this.

This is a musical event and the lighting is bad at the best. Stage is
66' wide. Maybe 20" tall and 30" deep. The four flashes will simply
take my back off the wall and ease the editing of several hundred
exposures.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks for the input.
Bob AZ
Old April 8th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
[...]

I realize this is fairly obvious, but I tend to start looking at a situation
starting with the most basic alternatives.

Have you tried a simple splitter with cables leading to each flash?

Take Care,
Dudley

Old April 8th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob AZ

I realize this is fairly obvious, but I tend to start looking at a situation
starting with the most basic alternatives.

Have you tried a simple splitter with cables leading to each flash?

Take Care,
Dudley

Dudley

This is the way I am leaning now. The runs will be from 80 to 150
feet. With the input as I measured it, resistance should be no
problem. Perhaps some capacitance in the wire/cable.

Cable is actually #22 shielded pair twisted. I bought a box of 1000
feet for a song and will be able to sell the remainder for what I paid
for the 1000'. I will twist the pair together at each end and will be
using the ground return as a conductor.

Have to try everything out this week so I have time to redo as
necessary.

Thanks for the input. It is appreciated.
Bob AZ
Old April 11th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob AZ

On Apr 8, 2:22�pm, Bob AZ wrote:
I realize this is fairly obvious, but I tend to start looking at a situation
starting with the most basic alternatives.

Have you tried a simple splitter with cables leading to each flash?

Dudley

Did the splitter thing today. But with a diode in series with each
sync lead. Worked well with 2 strobes. Diode is a 1 amp 200 volt. Will
try with 4 flashes/strobes this weekend. Put the splitter things etc
in a small plastic electrical box. Sync leads are from 25 to 80 feet.
And another 50' from the splitter box to the camera.

Thanks for the interest.

Bob AZ