shutter button is locked

Old August 16th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default shutter button is locked

I have a Minolta X-700 MPS and one every ten shots the shutter button
doesn't release the shutter. It will work fine one shot then won't the
next. I've tried turning the power switch over to off then back to on
if something mechanical was blocking it but still nothing. The film
advance lever doesn't come out more then the resting position. Anyone
have the same problem before? or know what is going wrong here? I am
not afraid to take it apart as I have done this before, but I want to
know as much as I can before I delve into the inner workings.

Old August 16th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

if i set it aside it and wait it will continue to work when i come
back to it. its probably something misaligned from being loose, or
something sticky not allowing free movement.

Old August 16th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

wrote

I have a Minolta X-700 MPS and one every ten shots the shutter button
doesn't release the shutter.

What do you do to get it to release again -- wait 10 minutes, jiggle
everything in sight, ...?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Old August 17th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
if i set it aside it and wait it will continue to work when i come
back to it. its probably something misaligned from being loose, or
something sticky not allowing free movement.

The button merely closes contacts on a switch. It can be extremely
difficult to clean the switch because the parts are so small. At least this
is the simplest explanation I can think up.

Jim

Old August 17th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

oh man, didnt think the battery would have anything to do with
it...coincidentally all other slrs ive used never needed a battery for
the shutter to release. I will replace the batteries(button cells) to
see if that is the case.

Old August 17th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Jim" wrote
wrote in message
if i set it aside it and wait it will continue to work when i come
back to it.

The button merely closes contacts on a switch.

If the shutter release is electrical the camera energizes
a solenoid to release the shutter...

If the camera sticks when in the wound state, and if you
hear a click from inside the camera when you press the
shutter release then the switch is probably OK and something
is stuck in the mechanical side of the mirror release -
it's the mirror flipping up that hits the _shutter_
release. Prime suspect is foam turned to goo.

[When in the jammed state the mirror is down, correct?]

If the camera is silent then the problem is most likely
somewhere in the electrical system: switch, loose wire,
bad contacts.

You have put in a new battery and cleaned the battery
contacts (?)

Just came to me, the solenoid has probably got
a foam shock absorber to keep noise and vibration down.
If this foam has turned to goo then the camera may
go silent. OTHO, if the release solenoid is gooed out of
the way then the shutter should (or shouldn't) release
itself at the end of the film lever wind stroke - the
shutter would always be released.

Old August 17th 07, 07:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bob AZ

On Aug 16, 1:04?pm, wrote:
I am
not afraid to take it apart as I have done this before, but I want to
know as much as I can before I delve into the inner workings.

Been a while since I have fixed this problem but as I remember the
shutter release solenoid under the bottom cover gets sticky and or
dirty. I would clean it firts.. Battery must be good. Make sure you
have the correct screwdriver to take thew cover off. It is NOT
phillips.

Bob AZ