Opinions on Epson 4870 Scanner

Old March 25th 04, 12:50 PM
C.A. Decker

Default Opinions on Epson 4870 Scanner

In my search for a scanner to do neg and slide formats from 35 mm up to 4x5 it
seems Epson scanners are well thought of. I was leaning towards the 3200
Photo but have now been imformed that it has been replaced by the 4870. I'm
interested in the 4870 "Photo" not the 4870 "Pro". This scanner seems to come
with the ICE software and a Firewire output. Anyone out there have an Epson
4870 that they would care to comment on? Thanks in advance.
Old March 25th 04, 09:46 PM
Leonard Evens

C.A. Decker wrote:
In my search for a scanner to do neg and slide formats from 35 mm up to 4x5 it
seems Epson scanners are well thought of. I was leaning towards the 3200
Photo but have now been imformed that it has been replaced by the 4870. I'm
interested in the 4870 "Photo" not the 4870 "Pro". This scanner seems to come
with the ICE software and a Firewire output. Anyone out there have an Epson
4870 that they would care to comment on? Thanks in advance.

The reports on the 4870 have so far been mixed. Some fairly objective
tests that have been done by owners indicate that there may be a
increase in resolution from 10 to 20 percent over the 3200, but it
differs in the horizontal and vertical directions. Since the 3200 was
already adequate for much 4 x 5 work, the 4870 should also be. The
4870 supposedly has a dmax of 3.8, so it should work better with
transparencies than the 3200 which was marginal for such film.

Needless to say there are scanners which will do a better job than the
4870 with 4 x 5, but they are also much more expensive.

It is my impression that the 4870 is still not quite adequate for high
quality 35 mm scans, but that would be highly dependent on what you want
and expect.

Old March 26th 04, 03:02 AM
Frank Pittel

Leonard Evens wrote:
: C.A. Decker wrote:
[...]

I've seen scans made by the 4870 and the 3200. While the 4870 give noticeably
better scans the the 3200, particularly as you said with transparencies and
Tmax100. I have seen a scan of negative film from either so I can't comment.

That said I don't think thee is a big enough of an improvement to buy a 4870
if you already have a 3200. If you have neither by all means get the 4870.