Help - I have to shoot a wedding.

Old June 17th 12, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
eatmorepies

Default Help - I have to shoot a wedding.

My sister wants me to photograph my niece's wedding in 5 weeks time. I
normally take pictures at carnivals, sports events, the street, pride
marches, art and music festivals and local motorsport events. This formal
stuff is outside my experience.

The group photos will be in front of a church porch - probably in the
shade - I expect the day to be overcast as we are in the UK summer period. I
thought to use fill flash. I've seen proper wedding photographers use
reflective umbrellas and as I was impressed with the results when I had a go
with softboxes in a studio I thought I might buy an umbrella and give it a
go. (Possibly 2 umbrellas?)

Before starting down the wrong path I'd like advice from those in the know
about formal stuff being shot out of doors.

I have available a 5D2, a 1D mkIV, 24 - 70mm F2.8L, 24 - 105mm F4L, 16 -
35mm f2.8L and a 70 - 200mm f2.8L. A mkI 580 EX, a mkII 580 EX and a mkII
270 EX flashgun. Two decent Manfrotto tripods with heads and a cheap Jessops
tripod.

So, what advice have you? I'm ok to buy some more stuff - within limits.

John

Old June 17th 12, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-06-17 16:44 , eatmorepies wrote:
My sister wants me to photograph my niece's wedding in 5 weeks time. I

So, what advice have you? I'm ok to buy some more stuff - within limits.

Hire a wedding photographer. Then you can relax and enjoy the wedding.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old June 17th 12, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:44:36 +0100, "eatmorepies"
wrote:

[...]

Save your money on gear and hire a pro! Run, do now walk from this
"assignment!"
Old June 17th 12, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

[...]

I'm certainly no expert and I'd agree that a pro should do it. If you
absolutely 'must' do it, here are some suggestions:

1) do a 'dry run' a few days before - get people to stand in the places
you'll shoot and do it - then learn from what you have.

2) if there is another wedding at the same or very similar facility, go
and talk with or at least observe the photographer (assuming (s)he's a
pro).
Old June 17th 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-06-17 13:44:36 -0700, "eatmorepies" said:

[...]

Your sister is setting you up for a classic family fall out. She has
probably seen the wedding planner's itemized estimate for a
professional wedding photographer at some $1000-$3000 for a decent
package including prints and/or albums. You might want to explore some
wedding photographer's web sites to get some idea of what the better
ones offer, and what mistakes the terrible ones make. You certainly
don't want to end up in this company.
http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2011/10/02/heartbreak/

For piece of mind don't take this on if you ever want to maintain ties
with your sister's side of the family.

Savageduck

Old June 18th 12, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
[...]

Leave the Jessops tripod at home.

Bob
Old June 18th 12, 07:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

My sister wants me to photograph my niece's wedding in 5 weeks time. I
normally take pictures at carnivals, sports events, the street, pride
marches, art and music festivals and local motorsport events. This formal
stuff is outside my experience.
[]
So, what advice have you? I'm ok to buy some more stuff - within limits.

John
=========================

John, I think you will have got the message from the other replies. If you
are forced into doing this, make it clear that you are doing only casual
shots, and /not/ formal ones. If they must have formal, hire a pro!

Cheers,
David

Old June 18th 12, 08:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 17/06/2012 23:02, Savageduck wrote:
On 2012-06-17 13:44:36 -0700, "eatmorepies" said:

[...]

Indeed. It is surprisingly difficult sometimes even for pros to coral a
largish crowd of somewhat merry people more interested in nibbling the
canapes into some form of order in all the required permutations. And
avoiding trees growing out of the vicars or brides head etc...

Assuming that you get the technical stuff just right posing a bride and
groom to both look good when highlights and to a lesser extent shadow
detail are critical to the final result is not as easy as it sounds.

Also this being the UK you have to plan for all possible weather up to
and including monsoon conditions this year. My cousins wedding was
memorable for one photograph of an avenue of colourful golfing umbrellas
protecting the bride & groom as they left the church (in torrential rain).

By all means shoot informal second camera with something compact and
unobtrusive. But unless you are really into adrenalin sports don't do
mainline wedding photography for friends and family unless they are
absolutely destitute and have no other choice. If you absolutely have to
stress how you have never done it before and cannot guarantee the
results. Think shades of I,Claudius taking on the job of Roman emperor.

Martin Brown
Old June 18th 12, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , eatmorepies
wrote:

[...]

Have them hire a professional. You're obviously in over your head just
by asking the questions.
Old June 18th 12, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Laszlo Lebrun

On 18/06/2012 09:22, Martin Brown wrote:
Also this being the UK you have to plan for all possible weather up to
and including monsoon conditions this year. My cousins wedding was
memorable for one photograph of an avenue of colourful golfing umbrellas
protecting the bride & groom as they left the church (in torrential rain).

This would be the easier conditions!

Having a crude sun without any clouds in june at 11:00 am will produce
horrible results. You won't have a flash powerful enough to save that
situation.

If you get this meteo, avoid the direct sun, go to a forest, keep
inside, try to use white walls lit by the sun, while your subjects are
at the opposite.

Laszlo