Waterfall

Old July 13th 11, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default Waterfall

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/WaterfallSmall.jpg (fast loading)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/Waterfall.jpg (full size)

Here's another shot that might have a bit of camera shake.

I used a monopod, but at 1/3 second, I still felt pretty shaky.

It was shot at a spot near Crescent Lake, in Washington, at the end of a
rather steep hike. The trail was one of the trickier climbs Mich and I have
completed, but it was worth it.

Take Care,
Dudley

--
"The balance between staying positive and being realistic lies somewhere in
the area of remaining hopeful." Irwin Barker

Old July 13th 11, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"ASCII" wrote in message news:4e1d2eee.4387031@EDCBIC...
Dudley Hanks wrote:

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/Waterfall.jpg (full size)

Here's another shot that might have a bit of camera shake.

The only thing I could guess was attributed to 'shake'
were the leaves of a fern on the left side, perhaps blowing in the wind,
or maybe the blurred area near the fall's mist. The rest looked OK.
If there were camera shake, the whole image would show it.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Sounds like I lucked out a bit on this shot,
though it was at 18mm, so maybe I was just a bit paranoid. Maybe I'll have
to give the IS and monopod combo more attention...

Take Care,
Dudley

Old July 13th 11, 08:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

Dudley Hanks wrote:

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/Waterfall.jpg (full size)

Here's another shot that might have a bit of camera shake.

The only thing I could guess was attributed to 'shake'
were the leaves of a fern on the left side, perhaps blowing in the wind,
or maybe the blurred area near the fall's mist. The rest looked OK.
If there were camera shake, the whole image would show it.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Sounds like I lucked out a bit on this
shot, though it was at 18mm, so maybe I was just a bit paranoid. Maybe
I'll have to give the IS and monopod combo more attention...

It looks pretty sharp to me. The only thing, composition wise I see, would
be to maybe stand closer so as to get more of the waterfall and less of the
fence in the shot. Over all, though I think it turned out well.

Old July 13th 11, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Dudley
Hanks wrote:

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/WaterfallSmall.jpg (fast loading)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/Waterfall.jpg (full size)

Here's another shot that might have a bit of camera shake.

I used a monopod, but at 1/3 second, I still felt pretty shaky.

It was shot at a spot near Crescent Lake, in Washington, at the end of a
rather steep hike. The trail was one of the trickier climbs Mich and I have
completed, but it was worth it.

Looks like Marymere Falls. The trail isn't too bad except for the last
few hundred feet which is pretty steep.
Old July 13th 11, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"otter" wrote in message
On Jul 12 2011 11:48 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:

It was shot at a spot near Crescent Lake, in Washington, at the end of a
rather steep hike. The trail was one of the trickier climbs Mich and I
have
completed, but it was worth it.

Somewhat ordinary snapshot. Highlights blown out in upper left corner.
Might be able to recover some of that in photoshop, but the picture has
other issues. Waterfalls are hard to make interesting pictures of. It
probably works OK as a reminder of the day you spent there, though.

Lake Crescent is one of my favorite spots. Were you able to make it up to
Hurricane Ridge?

Thanks for your thoughts, especially the feedback on exposure...

We were just passing through and thought we'd stop to check out the lake. I
almost got a nice shot of a deer grazing, but some goof came out of nowhere
and walked right up to the animal and scared it off... Oh, well, try, try
again...

We hope to go back in a few years and spend more time in the area.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old July 13th 11, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Mr. Strat" wrote in message
In article , Dudley
Hanks wrote:

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/WaterfallSmall.jpg (fast loading)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/Waterfall.jpg (full size)

Here's another shot that might have a bit of camera shake.

I used a monopod, but at 1/3 second, I still felt pretty shaky.

It was shot at a spot near Crescent Lake, in Washington, at the end of a
rather steep hike. The trail was one of the trickier climbs Mich and I
have
completed, but it was worth it.

Looks like Marymere Falls. The trail isn't too bad except for the last
few hundred feet which is pretty steep.

Yep, sounds like the spot. According to the info posted, it's the last 1/8
mile that's the worst. Up till then, it was a nice smooth hike. Even that
last stretch was nice and clear. It just takes a bit of caution.

I really enjoyed the climb, and so did Mich.

Take Care,
Dudley