People Shots - A complexion Question

Old March 15th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people

Default People Shots - A complexion Question

I'm a newcommer to serious photography and while I've done a few head
shots and am learning, I've been asked to take a couple shots of a
friend and I realize I need some advice.

My friend is a Black kid. Very black. This isn't a fashion shot and
she's cute enough but not a Grace Jones that would transend the
shortcomming of any picture I'd take.

I want to make her look good. My equipment is a good dslr plus an off
camera flash and cable, and whatever mother nature can provide.

Any tips?

Thanks

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old March 22nd 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.people

I'm a newcommer to serious photography and while I've done a few head
shots and am learning, I've been asked to take a couple shots of a
friend and I realize I need some advice.

My friend is a Black kid. Very black. This isn't a fashion shot and
she's cute enough but not a Grace Jones that would transend the
shortcomming of any picture I'd take.

I want to make her look good. My equipment is a good dslr plus an off
camera flash and cable, and whatever mother nature can provide.

black skin reveals bad lighting easier than pale white skin. look at some
of the magazines and see what you can tell about the lighting, look at skin,
also look at shoes, purses, even sports cars. How do they light black
people and objects?

Usually they have a very large light source.

Here's a simple glamour light. Open a door, preferable one that is on the
shadow side of the house. have your subject step back slowly. *Just* at
the point you can see a fall off of the light, that's your sweet spot. use
your flash for a hair light. This will be as nice as any big glamour light
set up you see in a magazine.

You can find other nice 'sweet' lights in other similar situations.
Overhangs like porches, trees. Twilight is usually good, late afternoon in
an area where the sun is blocked by a tall building, a hillside, or a line
of trees.